C-119 flies again

Old December 17th 03, 10:45 PM
Ron

Default C-119 flies again

Hawkins and Powers got one of their C-119s flying again, and it was flown to
Namibia, apparently for a remake of "Flight of the Phoenix"

Interesting webpage of lists and photos of aircraft of H&Ps at Greybull Wy..

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/grey-logs.htm
Ron
Pilot/Wildland Firefighter

Old December 21st 03, 04:25 PM
Marc Reeve

Ron wrote:

Hawkins and Powers got one of their C-119s flying again, and it was flown
to Namibia, apparently for a remake of "Flight of the Phoenix"

Well, as much as I like seeing real flying in a movie, I hope they do
the actual flight of the 'Phoenix' with CGI. Wasn't Paul Mantz killed
trying to land the creature they built for the original film?

-Marc
--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is
Old December 21st 03, 05:31 PM
DBoyd

A remake? Wow. In my eyes it will be tough to replace the acting of Jimmy
Stewart.

Yes, Paul Mantz was killed during the filming. I believe it was during a
takeoff attempt. As the closing credit say......"A fine man......"

DBoyd
Fredericksburg, VA

"Marc Reeve" wrote in message
. ..

Old December 21st 03, 05:35 PM
Kyle Boatright

"DBoyd" wrote in message
t...
A remake? Wow. In my eyes it will be tough to replace the acting of

Jimmy
Stewart.

Yes, Paul Mantz was killed during the filming. I believe it was during a
takeoff attempt. As the closing credit say......"A fine man......"

DBoyd
Fredericksburg, VA

Mantz was killed on a landing attempt when the landing gear hit a slight
dune or sand drift. The aft fuselage broke off, the aircraft nosed over,
and Mantz was killed in the esuing tumble. A second man, who was flying as
an observer or co-pilot, survived. If you google hard, you might find a few
still pictures of the crash. I've seen a couple in print over the years.

KB

Old December 21st 03, 08:49 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Kyle Boatright wrote:
Mantz was killed on a landing attempt when the landing gear hit a
slight dune or sand drift. The aft fuselage broke off, the aircraft
nosed over, and Mantz was killed in the esuing tumble. A second man,
who was flying as an observer or co-pilot, survived. If you google
hard, you might find a few still pictures of the crash. I've seen a
couple in print over the years.

Here you go:

http://stripe.colorado.edu/~steinerd/Phoenix.html

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Old December 21st 03, 09:15 PM
Ron

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/473908/L/

Here it is while stopping in Spain

Old December 22nd 03, 02:59 AM
Tex Houston

"Ron" wrote in message
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/473908/L/

Here it is while stopping in Spain

Ron

This thread started off on the wrong assumption. Was not the airplane in
question a C-82 Packet?

Tex

Old December 22nd 03, 04:08 AM
Ron

"Ron" wrote in message
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/473908/L/

Here it is while stopping in Spain

Ron

This thread started off on the wrong assumption. Was not the airplane in
question a C-82 Packet?

Tex

Well the original posting was about H&P getting one of their C-119s up and
flying for a movie remake.

But yes, the original movie did feature a C-82. I would be surprised if there
are any of those even flyable.

Old December 22nd 03, 05:35 AM
N329DF

But yes, the original movie did feature a C-82. I would be surprised if
there
are any of those even flyable.

there is 1 flying and it is owned by Hawkins & Powers. They have flown it to
Oshkosh before.
Matt Gunsch,
A&P,IA,Private Pilot
Riding member of the
2003 world champion drill team
Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team
GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Old December 22nd 03, 09:44 AM
MLenoch

I believe Walter Soplata has a complete C-82 on his property, plus various
pieces of a C-119. Very rare is the C-82.
VL