Soaring Not Dead Everywhere

Old April 12th 20, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Soaring Not Dead Everywhere

Moriarty had several good flights today.

On 4/11/2020 5:05 PM, Ramy wrote:
Few places in California providing tows as well. Check OLC.

Ramy

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 12th 20, 06:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 8:48:07 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:
On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 9:12:15 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Ok let me reorient this post back to topic. As of today it looks like alot of clubs and comm ops ARE flying in a limited manner, heres my list:
Central AL Soaring/Birmingham area- solo flights
Coastal Soaring/pensacola- all ops
Moriarty- solo
Sunflower/KS-solo ?
Treasure Coast/S FL-solo and ?
Seminole/central FL-solo and ?
Mississippi Soaring/jackson area- solo

Anyone else flying?

Hey Dan,

Southern Eagles Soaring, Butler, Georgia flew today (Saturday, April 11). We only did around 6 tows. Everything that launched stuck for most of the afternoon and we aren't doing training right now so not so many tows. We conducted "minimal operations" as mandated in the Governor of Georgia's shelter-in-place rules. We limited the size of our group while indoors (not much of that), only did single pilot tows, no 2 people in a glider ops of any kind. We had a spray bottle of diluted rubbing alcohol to clean everything and we took everyone's temperature. That turned out to be kind of a hassle. I got one of those talking infrared thermometers. We taped it to a long stick to maintain our social distancing. It was very difficult and somewhat painful to get the thing inserted, even with lots of KY lube. It seems to me that it was poorly designed for it's purpose, being relatively large for a thermometer and shaped like a pistol. Also, once inserted the little electronic voice was so muffled by the intervening anatomy that it as very hard to hear it. Maybe I need to review the instructions.

The same people who distrust the gooberment also demand the gooberment to come up with solutions.

Also, KY isn't the best lubricant (I say this based you decades of corporate and military experience), try albolene. It's water soluble and, according to upper management, doesn't leave as nasty an aftertaste.
Old April 12th 20, 08:27 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB View Post
[...]

Excellent RRTFLMAO!
Old April 12th 20, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Why is it called "KY Jelly?" Is it mined in Kentucky?
Old April 12th 20, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Who has that for a contest number? He must be one “slippery” fellow. Does it repell leaches?
Old April 12th 20, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

On Sunday, 12 April 2020 08:19:22 UTC-4, wrote:
Why is it called "KY Jelly?" Is it mined in Kentucky?

From the Canadian Website for K-Y (https://www.k-y.ca/en/faqs/)...

4. What is the meaning behind the brand name "K-Y®"?
The origins of the brand name "K-Y®" are unknown. Two popular myths are that (1) it was created in Kentucky and (2) the letters represent the key ingredients used to make the lubricant. Although we can confirm that neither of these myths are true, the origin/meaning of the name continues to remain somewhat of a mystery.
Old April 12th 20, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Seminole-Lake is only towing private ships right now. No training, rentals, or scenic flights. However, there is a group that is organizing daily races/tasks that are open to anyone that is flying. Rich Owen
Old April 12th 20, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 10:12:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Ok let me reorient this post back to topic. As of today it looks like alot of clubs and comm ops ARE flying in a limited manner, heres my list:
Central AL Soaring/Birmingham area- solo flights
Coastal Soaring/pensacola- all ops
Moriarty- solo
Sunflower/KS-solo ?
Treasure Coast/S FL-solo and ?
Seminole/central FL-solo and ?
Mississippi Soaring/jackson area- solo

Anyone else flying?

Wurtsboro NY and Blairstown NJ are doing limited flying. Singles only.
UH
Old April 12th 20, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 05:19:20 -0700, markmocho53 wrote:

Why is it called "KY Jelly?" Is it mined in Kentucky?

Maybe the formulation was invented by two guys called Keith and Yancy?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old April 12th 20, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

....And shouldn't they call it "Jam" 'cuz that's what it's used for...

On 4/12/2020 6:19 AM, wrote:
Why is it called "KY Jelly?" Is it mined in Kentucky?

--
Dan, 5J

Is Soaring Cafe dead (or comatose)? pp2076 Soaring 1 January 1st 16 08:42 PM
RAP is NOT Dead No Name Piloting 112 August 29th 08 06:49 AM
AUDIO: Bush jewish. Blair jewish. Howard jewish. Sarkozy jewish. 1.2 million muslims dead. Thousands of Americans dead. Trillion$ missing. [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 November 2nd 07 05:56 PM
Forget Dying; Is Soaring Dead? [email protected] Soaring 42 September 2nd 06 05:19 PM
The Soaring Server is dead; long live the Soaring Servers John Leibacher Soaring 3 November 1st 04 10:57 PM