A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Old June 4th 20, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]
external usenet poster

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Preliminary report: https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...relim&IType=LA
Old June 4th 20, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 5:35:20 PM UTC-7, Tom wrote:

After examining the photos, it appears that the towplane's altitude was approximately 3 wing spans, or about 100 ft AGL. The towpilot did cut the tow rope with the internal guillotine mechanism, but by that time was in an unrecoverable attitude.

The glider pilot did go thru a pre-launch checklist that included checking that the canopy was closed and locked. I don't see how more training and drilling on checklists and procedures could have prevented this accident. The glider pilot, however, could have prevented it by immediately releasing when the canopy flew open, and could have safely landed straight ahead.

Tom
Old June 4th 20, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 11:56:08 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 5:35:20 PM UTC-7, Tom wrote:

After examining the photos, it appears that the towplane's altitude was approximately 3 wing spans, or about 100 ft AGL. The towpilot did cut the tow rope with the internal guillotine mechanism, but by that time was in an unrecoverable attitude.

The glider pilot did go thru a pre-launch checklist that included checking that the canopy was closed and locked. I don't see how more training and drilling on checklists and procedures could have prevented this accident. The glider pilot, however, could have prevented it by immediately releasing when the canopy flew open, and could have safely landed straight ahead.

Tom

The photos and the timeline are very telling. Unless I am reading the timeline incorrectly the glider pilot was on tow for 13 seconds before the executed detachment and return to the airport. Unfortunate and preventable, obviously the canopy was not latched as stated.
Old June 4th 20, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The glider pilot did go thru a pre-launch checklist that included checking that the canopy was closed and locked. I don't see how more training and drilling on checklists and procedures could have prevented this accident.

It's not clear from the report what sort of canopy or if checking included pushing up on the plexi to try to open it.

Definitely a sad day.
Old June 4th 20, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hightime
external usenet poster

If you don’t physically push (lightly ) up on canopy after it is closed and locked you will have a inflight opening eventually. A tried and true failsafe
Just watch and see who at your club is actually doing that final crucial piece of the puzzle
Once I pushed lightly up just before launch and couldn’t believe I had forgotten to lock the canopy , it was at a different airport and things were different , or I was , I had opened the canopy more then once The final push revealed the sin
Watch for sinners and tongue lash them

Old June 4th 20, 11:07 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakel View Post
Since we have now decided to re-invent the tow plane to put the tow hook on the CG, has anybody considered a canard design with a front or mid fuselage mounted engine?
Not quite what you have in mind but I've towed behind one of these back in the 80s and it was a pretty darn good towplane and apparently good to fly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transavia_PL-12_Airtruk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airtruk 2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	123948  Click image for larger version

Name:	Airtruk.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	123949  
Old June 4th 20, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I also forgot to latch the canopy once, but it has a forward hinge, so it just rattled a bit. I latched it after releasing from tow. A side hinge canopy should ALWAYS get some fingerprints on the inside of the plexiglass. EVERY TIME! It's a lot easier (and CHEAPER!) to clean off the greasy fingerprints than to hunt down all the shards and pay for a replacement.
Old June 4th 20, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru
external usenet poster

I feel irritated when people go around telling people that their way is the only way. There is more than one way to confirm that the canopy is latched. If you tongue lash me you will regret it.

Boggs

Old June 4th 20, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 1:17:30 PM UTC-4, Hightime wrote:
If you don’t physically push (lightly ) up on canopy after it is closed and locked you will have a inflight opening eventually. A tried and true failsafe
Just watch and see who at your club is actually doing that final crucial piece of the puzzle
Once I pushed lightly up just before launch and couldn’t believe I had forgotten to lock the canopy , it was at a different airport and things were different , or I was , I had opened the canopy more then once The final push revealed the sin

It is more likely that it is what you don't do than what you do that creates the bigger problem. Having the canopy latched is different than having the canopy latched and locked. Again, if you lose sight of the tow plane simply release immediately.
Old June 5th 20, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru
external usenet poster

And if you really want to get someone to understand the problem and change, tongue lashing is not a good way to do it. Berating someone rarely gets them to change.

Boggs