Everglades Soaring Club?

Old June 8th 20, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Everglades Soaring Club?

Does anyone know if Everglades Soaring Club is still operating? Just moved to SWFL and looking for an operation that could use a CFIG/Towpilot....

Old June 8th 20, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 10:19:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Does anyone know if Everglades Soaring Club is still operating? Just moved to SWFL and looking for an operation that could use a CFIG/Towpilot....

The SSA website 'Where to fly' only shows the Miami Gliders in Homestead in that area.
www.miamigliders.com

Uli
'AS'
Old June 8th 20, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

The Everglades Soaring Club has disbanded. There were a bunch of guys flying at LaBelle a couple of years ago. It was an informal group organized via e-mail by Tom Irlebeck. Unfortunately that group also disappeared after Tom’s fatal accident.

There’s definitely interest in soaring in SW Florida if someone can organize a viable operation. My personal feeling is that the best approach is to find a suitable hanger and then partner with one or more northern clubs to bring down some of their equipment for a winter operation.
Old June 8th 20, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 10:19:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Does anyone know if Everglades Soaring Club is still operating? Just moved to SWFL and looking for an operation that could use a CFIG/Towpilot....

We are alive and well in Vero Beach at the TCSC. Come check us out and enjoy soaring in the best location in Florida. We could always use a CFIG and towpilot
Old June 9th 20, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rakel

Miami Gliders in Homestead is very much alive and well.

They are open depending on weather, more often in the winter and spring as opposed to summer and fall. If the weather cooperates, we are usually open on weekends and Monday through Friday by appointment.

Call or text to 786-243-7640 to get current schedule.
Old June 11th 20, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 8:42:06 AM UTC-4, Mike Schumann wrote:
The Everglades Soaring Club has disbanded. There were a bunch of guys flying at LaBelle a couple of years ago. It was an informal group organized via e-mail by Tom Irlebeck. Unfortunately that group also disappeared after Tom’s fatal accident.

There’s definitely interest in soaring in SW Florida if someone can organize a viable operation. My personal feeling is that the best approach is to find a suitable hanger and then partner with one or more northern clubs to bring down some of their equipment for a winter operation.

My last account of the group was just before Tom's accident. The guy who owned the Pawnee was a Dr. from that area last name Caldwell. There was also a 233 there that was in the process of being rebuilt, things have since been removed from their website and no activity is there at this time. LaBelle is a great place to fly, from Vero to LaBelle is a great area for soaring probably the best in Florida. The Miami area is also a great place to soar, having lived there for many years and flying the Everglades where the thermal conditions would amaze you and so would the pucker factor trying to find a place to land if needed. E9, Bennie and myself would take off out of Thermal Research and head toward Shark River Valley and then to Oasis Ranger station and further NW to Immokalee and return, those were the days!
Old June 12th 20, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 12:04:29 AM UTC-5, Bob Youngblood wrote:
[...]

Tom Irlbeck's informal glider group used a Socata Rallye towplane that was based at La Belle. I'm not sure who owned it or whether it is still located at La Belle. Dylan Caldwell owned the Pawnee that the Everglades Soaring Club used at La Belle. I don't think it saw any action after the Everglades Soaring Club disbanded.
Old June 12th 20, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 10:50:36 PM UTC-4, Mike Schumann wrote:
[...]

The last thing that I heard about that Socata was that the pilot owner had a bid motorcycle accident and was not flying. Back in the day a long time ago there was a group operating out of Naples, wow, time has flown bye! If you go online and read about history of Miami gliders there is a very good description of the old flying glider sites in Florida. Bob
Old June 17th 20, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Ethridge

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 7:39:42 PM UTC-4, Rakel wrote:
Miami Gliders in Homestead is very much alive and well.

They are open depending on weather, more often in the winter and spring as opposed to summer and fall. If the weather cooperates, we are usually open on weekends and Monday through Friday by appointment.

Call or text to 786-243-7640 to get current schedule.

Great to hear, Rakel! I'm up in Georgia through the pandemic. Hope to be back there flying w you this winter.

Ben

Everglades Soaring Club now has a Pawnee. macquistan Soaring 1 June 12th 10 12:03 AM
Mid-Air over the Everglades GetErDone Piloting 25 December 13th 07 02:41 AM
soaring club reporter arturo Soaring 2 June 30th 07 01:15 PM
MAYDAY in the Everglades Marty from Sunny Florida Owning 46 May 16th 05 10:01 PM
Caprock Soaring Club URL Stewart Kissel Soaring 0 January 1st 04 08:25 PM