Selling Aircraft

Old January 28th 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
nrp

Default Selling Aircraft

BTDT. Been flying since 1963. Bought a solid '75 Hawk new, hangared
and flew it 1700 HRS TT & gave it up 2 years ago as at 70 & with a
SI, I was facing a regulatory superstorm. I had flown only ~6 hrs in
my last year, and was looking at medical, annual insp, transponder
biennial, and biennial flight check from a new-to-me flight instructor
(My favorite was being sent to Iraq) in the next couple of months.

It sold in 3 days. It was funny-strange watching someone else fly it
away - for the first time.

But - I still have a 1941 Piper J4A for rebuilding & sport pilot etc
that hasn't flown since 1975. I don't miss the Cessna or that type of
flying anymore & reading the incredible fol-de-rol (sp?) of aircraft
operation in the AOPA websites, I now realize that maybe I became
almost a slave to it.

There is life after airplanes.
Old January 28th 09, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Adams[_1_]

Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

Mike Adams wrote:
Did they ever fix the Catch 22 on the light sport pilot that you can't
qualify with a drivers license if you've ever failed a regular flight
physical?

It not "ever failed." It is "had your last physical revoked or denied."
And the answer is no.

Yea, I understand the distinction. I was just speaking casually. I guess
the other option I have heard of is taking a "trial physical" before really
taking one for score, just to see if you have any conditions that might be
significant.

Mike
Old January 28th 09, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Todd W. Deckard

Ross makes a very good point here that is often misunderstood. LSA pilots
(like glider pilots) self-certify.
This is different from "not requiring a medical." The basic premise of the
medical exam is to rule out obvious disabilities (or at least defer them to
a demonstration of ability) and then frame your sudden risk of
incapacitation based on the class of medical.

The LSA requires an unrestricted drivers license which provides for the
first component (you don't require hand controls or a seeing eye dog) and
you are expected to use adult common sense on your known health conditions
for the latter.

Ross, sorry to hear about selling your airplane. I applaud your judgement
and am sure its an insight into your cockpit decision making. We will all
join there eventually if not abruptly.

Regards
Todd

"Ross" wrote in message
As to LSA you still have to self certify (not sure how many will be
truthful), and

Old January 28th 09, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
A Lieberma[_2_]

On Jan 27, 7:38*am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

I try to cherish every flight as if it were my last, cuz you really never
know...

Ditto here...
Old January 28th 09, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
A Lieberma[_2_]

On Jan 26, 11:48*am, Ross wrote:

Stay safe and enjoy it while you can. I certainly am going to miss
looking down on the world from a perspective that not many get the
chance to do, except at 35,000 feet.

Sorry to hear this Ross...

But also think that you did something that not many people did.....

Those memories can never be taken away....
Old January 28th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

nrp wrote:
BTDT. Been flying since 1963. Bought a solid '75 Hawk new, hangared
and flew it 1700 HRS TT & gave it up 2 years ago as at 70 & with a
SI, I was facing a regulatory superstorm. I had flown only ~6 hrs in
my last year, and was looking at medical, annual insp, transponder
biennial, and biennial flight check from a new-to-me flight instructor
(My favorite was being sent to Iraq) in the next couple of months.

It sold in 3 days. It was funny-strange watching someone else fly it
away - for the first time.

But - I still have a 1941 Piper J4A for rebuilding & sport pilot etc
that hasn't flown since 1975. I don't miss the Cessna or that type of
flying anymore & reading the incredible fol-de-rol (sp?) of aircraft
operation in the AOPA websites, I now realize that maybe I became
almost a slave to it.

There is life after airplanes.

Thanks for that. I know there will be something to do. I just do not
want to take up golf again like my wife wants me to do. Maybe restoring
a plane or building one, even though I cannot fly will consume me. I
spent 3 years assisting on building a Murphy Moose.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old January 28th 09, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

"Ross" wrote in message
As to LSA you still have to self certify (not sure how many will be
truthful), and

Thanks. I am just glad I was able to sell it so quickly to a good friend
that knew how well it was maintained in the last 12 years. When I sold
my 21' boat back in '96 it was the same thing, a good friend bought it
with out a hassle because of the care it had.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old January 28th 09, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

A Lieberma wrote:
On Jan 26, 11:48 am, Ross wrote:

Stay safe and enjoy it while you can. I certainly am going to miss
looking down on the world from a perspective that not many get the
chance to do, except at 35,000 feet.

Sorry to hear this Ross...

But also think that you did something that not many people did.....

Those memories can never be taken away....

Agreed and keep the videos coming. I enjoy "flying" though you. Maybe I
should try what MX does....wait, no that's not a good idea.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP