A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

Old June 27th 20, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

I searched and did not find that this topic was already posted on RAS.

Here's the video that documents the infraction https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ure=emb_lo go

Here's Bruno's recent comment:

2 weeks ago
Update 10 months later: I uploaded this video and 4 days later had over 200k views. The video got reported and the FAA had serious concerns with this performance/flight. Lesson learned: Don't fly any kind of performance for any group or crowd (even if asked by the airshow management and cleared through the airboss) if you are NOT an approved airshow performer (have something called a SAC card)!!! The FAA will surely come after you with violations. The end result for me: $$ thousands spent on legal fees and I will soon be taking a 7 month break from flying. I was told I was very luck to not lose my license over this. Yikes! Why am I sharing all this? I only had good intentions of showing what a glider is capable of doing, but I am not a trained airshow performer and I didn't know the rules for airshow performances. If in doubt - don't do it! I hope this will help other pilots to not have to go through what I have over the last 10 months. Cheers and stay safe! Bruno - B4

Old June 27th 20, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

Kudos to Bruno for his honesty in posting the update on his YouTube video. Tough lesson learned by one of the best promoters of soaring.

PA
Old June 27th 20, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler
external usenet poster

I have had direct and positive/negative experiences with the FAA (or their assigns, agents, etc etc, ad nauseum, kiss my ass I'm not a lawyer).

Somebody made the point (read the comments) that nobody at Boeing has gone to jail for the (real) deaths caused by the 737 Max.

For those who missed it (or just don't give a ****), Boeing pushed for certification that did NOT require additional training for that aircraft. They did that DESPITE the fact it has fundamentally different ways of measuring AOA AND the fact of the matter is their official, published procedure, when followed, does not work. They did that at the same time they marketed it to third world carriers.

So....just to summarize -

Boeing ACTUALLY kills people - gets off scot free with the FAA

Bruno breaks a rule or two, gets a 7 month suspension.

Anybody else see anything wrong with this?
Old June 27th 20, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]
external usenet poster

Too True!

The stated mission of the F.A.A.
To promote (huge corporations) and regulate (the little guy) Aviation.

Don't be the little guy!
Old June 27th 20, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

Wow bummer! Bruno is a super nice guy. I message him occasionally on FB for advice.
Old June 27th 20, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 9:46:49 PM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
Wow bummer! Bruno is a super nice guy. I message him occasionally on FB for advice.

Air shows are highly regulated events. I know - I have been involved in several as a volunteer. The FAA oversees each of these events, as is their duty as codified by law. All performers are expected to know the regulations, as in "ignorance of the law is no excuse." Here is an excerpt of these regulations (https://fsims.faa.gov/WDocs/8900.1/V..._006_001.htm):

1) Aerobatic Maneuvering. Requires a Statement of Aerobatic Competency (SAC) with an aerobatic maneuvering endorsement for civilian pilots (see subparagraph 3-146B).
a) In a solo flight, aerobatic maneuvering is when the pitch attitude of the aircraft is greater than 60 degrees above or below the horizon and/or the angle of bank is greater than 75 degrees in reference to the horizon.
b) In a formation flight, aerobatic maneuvering is when the pitch attitude of an aircraft is greater than 60 degrees above or below the horizon and/or the bank angle is greater than 75 degrees to the horizon.
2) Dynamic Maneuvering. Requires a SAC with a dynamic maneuvering endorsement for civilian pilots (see subparagraph 3-146B).
a) In a solo flight, dynamic maneuvering includes abrupt maneuvering, crossing maneuvers, and opposing maneuvers. The pitch and bank limitations are when the pitch attitude of the aircraft is less than or equal to 60 degrees above or below the horizon and/or the bank angle is less than or equal to 90 degrees in reference to the horizon.
b) In a formation flight, dynamic maneuvering includes formation separation, formation configuration/position changes, rejoins, crossing maneuvers, and opposing maneuvers. The pitch and bank limitations are when the pitch attitude of the aircraft is less than or equal to 60 degrees above or below the horizon and/or the bank angle is less than or equal to 75 degrees in reference to the horizon.

All of this has NOTHING to do with Boeing and aircraft certification.

Tom
Old June 27th 20, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

Sorry Bruno. This really stinks.

So is the issue simply doing any flying at all in an "airshow" or specifically some aerobatics being performed? I assume the later.

I would think that at least some responsibility falls upon the airshow staff for them to check for required credentials. What would happen if someone without the proper ratings/endorsements, or even having a pilot's license, were to fly in a show and cause some mayhem?
Old June 27th 20, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

To Shaun's statement,
Yes there is plenty wrong with your comments.
For one, many areas of litigation concerning the Max events are no where near over so to say they got away free is grossly inaccurate.
Old June 27th 20, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Definitely unfortunate, but a teaching moment compliments of Bruno.

In getting a private, there is FAR 91.303. Section e appears to cover the low pass. Sections a and b seem hard to avoid for the loops. Is there another FAR specifically related to the video?

Not sure about the SAC. It appears to be a carefully controlled path to exempt 91.103 to allow an airshow?

§ 91.303 Aerobatic flight.
No person may operate an aircraft in aerobatic flight -

(a) Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement;

(b) Over an open air assembly of persons;

(c) Within the lateral boundaries of the surface areas of Class B, Class C, Class D, or Class E airspace designated for an airport;

(d) Within 4 nautical miles of the center line of any Federal airway;

(e) Below an altitude of 1,500 feet above the surface; or

(f) When flight visibility is less than 3 statute miles.

For the purposes of this section, aerobatic flight means an intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in an aircraft's attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration, not necessary for normal flight.
[Doc. No. 18834, 54 FR 34308, Aug. 18, 1989, as amended by Amdt. 91-227, 56 FR 65661, Dec. 17, 1991]

Old June 27th 20, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

The FAA found that he performed aerobatics without holding an SAC (Statement of Aerobatic Competency). https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...N_8900.427.pdf