airport cars

Old September 7th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Kobra[_3_]

Default airport cars

Flyers,

I was reading my Pilot Getaways Mag this morning and found an article about
something I've been thinking about myself for years.

It is an internet based Airport courtesy car club. I just signed up today
because I have a POJ (piece of junk) that I keep at ACY and every time I go
there I have a dead battery because I can't drive it enough. I've given
several pilot friends the keys, but it's still rarely if ever used by them.
This despite the fact that taxi fees are about 90 round trip with tip to get
from the airport to town and it's a great location to fly for dinner, a
show, the beach, boardwalk and of course gaming. I've always wished I could
let more pilots know about the car and now there is just such a system. The
only problem is that there is limited involvement, most likely due to lack
of awareness.

I have no association with this place, but I'm gonna give it a good sales
pitch because I love this idea.

It's free to join if you provide a car. It's 50 dollars per year if you
just join. Taking a car is free! Just fill it back up and don't crash or
trash it. Keys are kept at the local FBO or in a combination lockbox. Cars
are reserved online. Car owners always have priority of their car even if
it's reserved (within reason, you can't cancel someone just hours before
their arrival)

In all honesty, nothing could be fairer or more simplistic. They just need
more members. I think there's just over 30 cars in 17 states, but I'm sure
that's changing quickly.

Here's the website: www.airportcarsclub.com

I hope you guys are excited about this as I am, because I love to fly, but
when I get somewhere I want to go out exploring, have lunch or dinner or
sightsee.

Smooth air to all,

Kobra

Old September 7th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Shirl

In article ,
"Kobra" wrote:

[...]

How does that work re insurance if anyone and everyone is using it?
Old September 7th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Todd W. Deckard

The vehicle owner carries the primary liability burden, not the driver.

Make sure you disclose to your insurance agency that this is the intended
use of the vehicle ...

Old September 7th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Lou

On Sep 7, 3:51 pm, "Todd W. Deckard" wrote:
The vehicle owner carries the primary liability burden, not the driver.

Make sure you disclose to your insurance agency that this is the intended
use of the vehicle ...

"Shirl" wrote in message news:Xmnushal8y-
Here's the website: www.airportcarsclub.com

How does that work re insurance if anyone and everyone is using it?

How are you going to keep those batteries charged?
Old September 8th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Brian[_1_]

Great Idea,

But for your immediate problem a small solar panel or battery lockout
switch might ensure you can start it when you need to.

Brian
Old September 8th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Steve

"Kobra" wrote in message
. ..
It's free to join if you provide a car. It's 50 dollars per year if you
just join. Taking a car is free! Just fill it back up and don't crash or
trash it.

It looks like providing a car is required for membership. Still a good idea,
I just wanted to clarify that point. 1st year is free if you are the first
one at your airport to join.

Old September 8th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Well, let's see now.

In order to join, I have to provide a car, maintain it, and insure it. To
boot, I pay $50 a year for the privilege of borrowing somebody else's car
that MIGHT be at the airport I'm headed for.

That doesn't really sound like a heck of a deal to me.

Now if it was $250 to join if I DIDN'T have to provide a car or free if I
did, and if part of that $250 was rebated back to me as a function of useage
of my car to help with the maintenance and insurance, it might be a little
more tempting.

I'm no insurance expert, nor do I play one on tv, but it seems to me that
there is a "borrow" clause in my personal insurance policy that if I BORROW
somebody's car and get into an accident that my insurance covers that
vehicle to the extent that it would cover my own car in the same accident.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

. ..

Old September 8th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ross

Kobra wrote:
[...]

I thought I would put a car at a destination I go to alot but never did.
I like this idea, but how does the liability insurance work? We are all
"friends" but when an accident happens, we can turn against one another.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old September 8th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Peter Dohm

"Ross" wrote in message
Kobra wrote:
[...]

A lot depends on how Airport Cars is actually organized; but if you are at
all serious you can start by asking your insurance agent and then, if you
are still interested, an attorney who specializes in business liability and
risk management. This is a really series of specialties; but I don't recall
the correct name.

Peter

airport cars Kobra[_3_] Piloting 24 September 16th 08 04:17 AM
Flying Cars bryan chaisone Home Built 2 September 10th 04 07:01 PM
Air cars ? Felger Carbon Home Built 9 January 3rd 04 07:41 AM
Air cars will never fly (911 more reasons) [email protected] Piloting 36 October 4th 03 03:26 PM
CARs -- aerodrome vs. airport? Paul Millner General Aviation 2 July 9th 03 03:21 PM