Do CAP members salute?

Old September 20th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_5_]

Default Do CAP members salute?

I have been at various airshows, flyins, etc where CAP cadets and adults
were present in uniform.

As the civilian auxiliary of the Air Force are they expected to salute
officers etc? Are members of the Air Force supposed to salute CAP members of
higher rank?

Walking around at these functions it is sometimes hard to tell who rates a
salute or not.

Old September 20th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_6_]

The response of a lot of CAP members in this regard seems to be variable.
Just two days ago, there were three officers in uniform, two Air Force and
one Army, and a guy in a CAP set of BDU's at a local disaster drill.

Standard protocol would have been for him to come up to us (he had a first
lieutenant bar on his uniform), salute, and say how are you, good day, or
something similar. He certainly would have been welcome to stand with us,
share ideas, and come up with some ways we could work with CAP and the
military to enhance our disaster preparedness.

However, he basically walked right past us, never said a word (or saluted),
and simply walked away. I have seen this on other occasions, and it gives
the impression that the CAP guys want to remain autonomous and not really
act as part of the Air Force.

Perhaps they are intimidated by actual members of the military, or perhaps
they were former enlisted that now wear an officer's uniform but feel
uncomfortable doing so.

It just strikes me that if we (CAP and the Air Force) worked more closely,
it would be to everyone's benefit.

Old September 20th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in
:

The response of a lot of CAP members in this regard seems to be
variable. Just two days ago, there were three officers in uniform, two
Air Force and one Army, and a guy in a CAP set of BDU's at a local
disaster drill.

Standard protocol would have been for him to come up to us (he had a
first lieutenant bar on his uniform), salute, and say how are you,
good day, or something similar. He certainly would have been welcome
to stand with us, share ideas, and come up with some ways we could
work with CAP and the military to enhance our disaster preparedness.

They're supposed to, but in fact a large percentage of CAP personell are as
crazy as bedbugs and are only there because they're not qualified to be a
security gaurd in a mall.

Bertie

Old September 21st 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

[...]

This is true to a large degree. However, there's also a mixed bag. Many
members were in the real air force and many have retired from the same. I
know several CAP colonels who were real colonels in the real USAF. There's
also a lot of members who just like to fly and have fun and could care less
about the pretend military gig. The pretend air force aspect of CAP is
mostly for the cadets. Paying $70 per year in dues does not make one an
officer, although there are many who seem to think it does. For senior
members, there's also the option of wearing CAP distinctive uniforms which
display no rank insignia. That's the option preferred by those who don't
really want to pretend they are in the military.

Old September 21st 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Mike" nospam@ microsoft.com wrote in
:

[...]

Yeah, true enough, there are a lot of good guys in the CAP, They are in
a minority, though. I can't see how they can stand it.

Bertie
Old September 21st 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

[...]

It all depends on the squadron you're in. Some are more into the flying
aspect and less into the pretend military aspect. Those tend to be the more
capable squadrons for air ops because they are less tolerant of pilots who
can't fly their thumb up their arse. At least in my observations. There's
lots of CAP pilots who don't ever fly unless it's on the CAP dime. As such
they may go 3-4 months without flying at all. Those types of guys aren't
well tolerated in squadrons that are more serious about the flying aspect.

Old September 21st 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

[...]

Whatever turns them on. Not worth my time to even think about them,
mostly.

bertie

Old September 21st 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_3_]

The concept of introducing kids to aviation is great, and except for perhaps
the Wings program, is one of the few routes out there. However, the whole
idea of seeing overweight yahoos yelling at a bunch of kids and making them
march around somehow doesn't fit. I've also seen them come into airport
restaurants with their too tight flight suits and swagger around like a
bunch of fighter jocks even though they flew in with a 172.

Yet, the goals are great, and their mission is important. It may be worth
another effort to get them working together again.