model B-52

Old July 16th 04, 01:43 AM
dave

Default model B-52

I know this is rec.av. "homebuilt" but, dang, this thing
is pretty cool and as big as some homebuilts!
http://www.mcgirt.net/RC/VIDEOS/Giant_B52/
Old July 16th 04, 04:42 AM
Ron Webb

297# - it's too big to be an "ultralight" - maybe it could carry little
bitty bombs??? Call the pentagon!

om...

Old July 16th 04, 07:51 AM
John

I watched all 3 videos (wmv format which probably won't run on a windoze
machine since Micro$oft designed it for their own systems)
the whole thing is very impressive especially the "pilots" ability!
John

Old July 16th 04, 01:42 PM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , dave says...

I know this is rec.av. "homebuilt" but, dang, this thing
is pretty cool and as big as some homebuilts!
http://www.mcgirt.net/RC/VIDEOS/Giant_B52/

Too cool!!! my son retired from Barksdale AFB a few years ago and he had about
20 years working on B-52's and I got a soft spot for the Buff. An awesome
project and a great job flying it. Heck I still stick my yard flyers in the
trees :-)

See ya

Chuck (got wings? then I like it) S

Old July 16th 04, 06:30 PM
FIyer111

Waaaay cool!!!
Old July 17th 04, 12:25 AM
Blueskies

Good thing this is not in the USA - - The dept of homeland security would be all over it.

I wonder what sort of special clearances/certifications, etc that they needed to put this monster up? It looks like they
had an entire airport to themselves...

--
Dan D.
http://www.ameritech.net/users/ddevillers/start.html

..

Old July 20th 04, 05:51 PM
Wright1902Glider

Well DAMN! The only things missing are the smoke trails!

BTW, even more off-topic, but you BUFF fans may find this interesting:

At last year's Wings Over Houston airshow, I was given the #1 feature-display
slot - a 20'x40' tent at show center. Half-way through setting up the Wright
1902 glider, I heard a very heavy ship rumbling in from the distance. Large
military ships, including a C5-A, C-17, a KC-10, etc., had been ariving all
day, making the customary high-speed pass, and then landing and taking up their
static-display positions. But something about this plane made me stop working
and go out for a look.

At first it resembled a horizontal stick with a small dot in its center. As it
got closer I could see that it was a B-52 beginning to bear down on Ellington
Field. About 2 minutes later, the old girl roared passed at what appeared to
be 300kts and 200' AGL. Reaching the end of the runway, the pilot pulled up
and banked over to what looked like a knife-edge turn as he went around. Black
smoke poured out, and the engines resembled the smoke stacks of a
turn-of-the-century steel mill. All of this was followed by the requsite
ear-shattering roar and rumbling earth.

Round the pattern it went, and then landed amid yet another cloud of smoke. Its
wingtip wheels dragged in the grass, kicking up dirt as it teetered across the
taxiway. As it rolled up the ramp, it got closer and closer to my tent. Just
as the nose of the big plane began to pass in front of me, the pilot swung
around. I found myself hanging onto the canard of my fragile pile of sticks,
staring directly up at the nose of the monster... not 30 feet away.

As the pilots powered down the engines, the beer wagon pulled up with a load of
cold ones for the guys that piled out. Much to my surprise, they grabbed a few
brews and headed straight for my tent. There were a few "Wow, Cool!"'s as the
crew of the BUFF checked out my ship, and then one of the pilots reached under
his flight patch and produced a 1903 silver Dollar. "My dad gave me this when
I graduated from flight school", he told me, "so I'd never forget how far we've
come in 100 years and how much work it took to get here."

Two days later this show wrapped up with what has to be one of the best
experiences of my life. My folks and sister drove in from Lafayette, LA, and
were my guests all day Sunday. My dad had been a helicopter A&P for 32 years,
and had been on dyalisis for nearly a year. He hadn't been able to walk more
than a block or two in months, but that day he walked the entire length of
flight line, revisiting many of the aircraft that we had seen together at
airshows in the early '70's. Later that afternoon, I came back from lunch just
in time to hear him talking to one of the spectators. "Yeah, my son built this
himself..." Priceless.

There's a photo on my website of the nose of the B-52, shot from the cockpit of
the Wright 1902 glider.

http://hometown.aol.com/wright1902gl...899glider.html

S.D. Harry Frey
Wright Brothers Enterprises
Covington. GA

Old July 21st 04, 02:04 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Wright1902Glider
says...
[...]

Great story .When I used to visit my son when he was stationed at Barksdale AFB
I just couldn't help but look up at every Buff that went by in the pattern. My
kid was used to it but for me it was a thrill to see them so low. Then I got to
inspect one and sat in the left set another thrill. It was hot kinda smelly and
I was sweating like a pig but I loved it!!!

Good job

See ya

chuck S

Old July 21st 04, 03:28 PM
Wright1902Glider

Glad you enjoyed it Chuck. I'm still hoping to catch up to you at Osh or SnF
one of these years. I've got a few good "and then the bamboo cracked and the
plastic tore" stories as well.

Harry Frey
Wright Brothers Enterprises

"2-feet agl IS flying... just really, really low"

Old July 22nd 04, 01:16 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Wright1902Glider
says...

Glad you enjoyed it Chuck. I'm still hoping to catch up to you at Osh or SnF
one of these years. I've got a few good "and then the bamboo cracked and the
plastic tore" stories as well.

Lets do it soon I'll be at Osh in the UL area. I bent some bamboo as well along
with some bones and ligaments :-)

See ya

Chuck S

Curtiss Pusher Model D Home Built 12 February 22nd 18 10:50 PM
Double covering fabric covered wings [email protected] Home Built 9 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
Which Model [email protected] Home Built 35 April 8th 04 03:53 AM
3.8 liter V6 Ford PSRU model year compatibility James W Brackett Home Built 2 October 30th 03 06:20 AM
Scripps model 302 V12 engine butch burton Home Built 3 October 1st 03 02:56 PM