Where is Charlie Nixon? Accelerated spins in a 172.

Old August 7th 03, 03:23 AM
Mike Smith

Default Where is Charlie Nixon? Accelerated spins in a 172.

1) Where is Charlie Nixon? He is an old flying buddie. Former Navy
F6F pilot, Airline and NASA Exec. Lived in DC area. We are QB
members. He was my sponsor. I moved to Houston TX and still have his
landing gear from a 1947 Bonanza he owned. I want to give him his
gear.

2) About spins: I am new at flying a 172. 25 hours. Owned two Pitts
Specials but never a 172. Only have 25 hours in a 172... My question:
In a 172, can a spin be accelerated (made to spin faster) by a)
starting the spin with full rudder and full back stick elevator and
then b) once the spin gets going, then moving the stick to half back,
not full back? Anybody tried it in a 172? Any problems? Just
curious.
Old August 7th 03, 06:38 PM
john smith

Mike Smith wrote:
2) About spins: I am new at flying a 172. 25 hours. Owned two Pitts
Specials but never a 172. Only have 25 hours in a 172... My question:
In a 172, can a spin be accelerated (made to spin faster) by a)
starting the spin with full rudder and full back stick elevator and
then b) once the spin gets going, then moving the stick to half back,
not full back? Anybody tried it in a 172? Any problems? Just
curious.

NASA has some good video of the tests they did in the 1980's.
Certification only requires two turns.
NASA had to use their spin chute for recovery on at least one occasion
as I recall.
Old August 7th 03, 06:59 PM
Rick Durden

Mike,

Your accelerated rate of rotation question is a good one.

The reduction in back pressure as you do in a Pitts or Decathlon
doesn't work in a 172. The vast majority of the time in 172s built in
the late '60s, '70s and '80s (haven't flown the earlier ones enough to
comment) if you relax the back pressure at all, the airplane unstalls
and enters a diving spiral. It takes full aft elevator to enter and
remain in the spin in most all circumstances. You may find some that
are very reluctant to break, and it make take power on the entry to
get the stall to progress.

You can significantly affect the rotation rate with the ailerons, they
are very effective at the stall. In fact, opposite aileron can stop
or seriously delay spin entry, despite full rudder application.
Aileron with the rotation will speed it up a bunch. On recovery,
aileron use can help hit a specific point to stop the rotation,
although the normal recovery is with ailerons neutral.

Have fun with the airplane, it's good old shoe.

All the best,
Rick