Oshkosh Get Together Question(s)

Old July 19th 03, 04:58 AM
Jay Honeck

Default Oshkosh Get Together Question(s)

Well, Ladies & Gentlemen, we are rapidly approaching the "Big One". Mary
and I are planning to "host" (and I mean that in the loosest possible way --
bring your own chair and some good beer) a rec.aviation get-together at our
campsite in the North Forty on one night during the week. Whoever shows up
gets to put some faces with some names!

We're leaning towards either Wednesday or Thursday evening, after the
airshow. (It's really a snap to find someone now -- you just check at the
EAA North 40 booth using either our last name or our "N" number -- they'll
tell you which site we're on, and where that site is located.)

Anyone got a preference, one night or t'other?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 19th 03, 05:10 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
We're leaning towards either Wednesday or Thursday evening, after the
airshow. (It's really a snap to find someone now -- you just check at the
EAA North 40 booth using either our last name or our "N" number -- they'll
tell you which site we're on, and where that site is located.)

Anyone got a preference, one night or t'other?

I don't arrive until Wednesday morning, so I think I'd prefer Thursday
since I'll have my bearings (be able to stagger back to my campsite after
a having a couple) by then.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
To iterate is human; to recurse, is divine.
Old July 19th 03, 05:42 AM
Montblack

(Jay Honeck wrote)
Anyone got a preference, one night or t'other?

The one that's not raining....duh!

Oshkosh is falling into 50/50 limbo for me, as I type this - minor leg
complications for the past 4 weeks. Final decision will be this Tuesday.

If I can't make it, I'll also be in the lodging business - if only briefly.
(Gee, I hope I can sell my (3 night) dorm room at the UW-Osh campus ...which
is only 2 or 3 miles from the airport)

--
Montblack

Old July 19th 03, 01:26 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message newsl3Sa.94521$ye4.65865@sccrnsc01...
Well, Ladies & Gentlemen, we are rapidly approaching the "Big One". Mary
and I are planning to "host" (and I mean that in the loosest possible

way --
bring your own chair and some good beer)

I've never tried to bring beer thru the gates - that's not a probem?

Anyone got a preference, one night or t'other?

Wednesday!
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 19th 03, 03:00 PM
Jay Honeck

I've never tried to bring beer thru the gates - that's not a probem?

Well, the North 40 -- where we all live for a week (or more, in some
cases) -- has a slightly different set of rules than the flight line, where
alcohol is verboten.

There are breaks in the perimeter fence leading to the restaurants and
stores. No one monitors these gates, and many partake in a cold one (or
three) at the end of a long, hot day hoofing the line, especially while
critiquing the arrivals. It's never gotten out of hand, no one leaves a
mess, and life is good.

It's sort of like the "no open fires" rule. Technically that rule outlaws
campstoves, yet everyone somehow makes coffee each morning... (Heck,
some people whip out seven course dinners in the North 40!)

By definition, if you're camping in the North 40, you're pretty hard-core.
This seems to weed out the riff raff. (Either that or it *concentrates* us
all in one place -- it's hard to say...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 19th 03, 03:15 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:58:13 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

We're leaning towards either Wednesday or Thursday evening, after the
airshow. (It's really a snap to find someone now -- you just check at the
EAA North 40 booth using either our last name or our "N" number -- they'll
tell you which site we're on, and where that site is located.)

Just imagine what would happen if you would be one of those using a
nickname here.
"Is there some 'Maverick-Full-Throttle' on campsite 40?"

And it will be nice learning the real name of some of the folks ...
"No, I am Jonny, you will know me by 'wise-man-riding-a-dead-horse' on
usenet!"

:-))

#m
--
http://www.usawatch.org/ http://www.alternet.org/

John Gilmo I was ejected from a plane for wearing
"Suspected Terrorist" button http://www.politechbot.com/p-04973.html
Old July 19th 03, 04:29 PM
Jay Honeck

And it will be nice learning the real name of some of the folks ...
"No, I am Jonny, you will know me by 'wise-man-riding-a-dead-horse' on
usenet!"

Are you coming to OSH, Martin?

If so, you'd BETTER show up with some good beer!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 19th 03, 04:50 PM
EDR

It's sort of like the "no open fires" rule. Technically that rule outlaws
campstoves, yet everyone somehow makes coffee each morning... (Heck,
some people whip out seven course dinners in the North 40!)

Darn!!! And I just bought a new 30,000 BTU propane stov for this one
week of the year. I guess the kids will have to settle for Oscar Meier
box meals instead of filet mignon and corn on the cob.
Old July 19th 03, 05:10 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:29:30 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

And it will be nice learning the real name of some of the folks ...
"No, I am Jonny, you will know me by 'wise-man-riding-a-dead-horse' on
usenet!"

Are you coming to OSH, Martin?

No.
No time and no money.

Besides, I would not spend my _single_ vacation of the year flying half
around the world watching airplanes. I might be in the States in autumn for
a trip through Arizona, mabye by car this time, and to dissolve my banking
account and to find a reason to come back.

If so, you'd BETTER show up with some good beer!

I have an allergy to some ingredients of beer. Therefore Bud Light works,
more water than anything else :-)
Be sure that in Central Europe we have more than one type of beer ...
Ever tried a "Weizen" beer? :-)

#m

Old July 19th 03, 06:38 PM
Steve Foley

I also have an allergy to some ingredients of beer. When I drink it, it
often makes me dizzy. Sometimes I throw up.