"No One Killed" = "No News"

Old August 3rd 03, 12:10 AM
Peter Goezinya

Default "No One Killed" = "No News"

Here is the second link again:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...on_re_us/brf_s
tadium_crash_2

"Peter Goezinya" wrote in message
news
If you saw the video of this emergency landing you would probably be

amazed
at what the pilot accomplished. I have not found the video, but here are

couple of links. I suppose if one practiced a few times they could do a
better job, but not bad for a C-207 in between two ball fields. It gets a
9.5 in my book (there was some damage so I had to lower the score a half a
notch). If someone finds the video link please post it.

http://www.anchoragenews.com/alaska/...-3604274c.html

Old August 3rd 03, 05:27 AM
Jeff Franks

video worked for me.

Very interesting. He seems to have a pretty high sinkrate started....scary
stuff.

"Aardvarks" wrote in message
. ..
Peter Goezinya wrote:
If you saw the video of this emergency landing you would probably be

amazed
at what the pilot accomplished. I have not found the video, but here

are a
couple of links. I suppose if one practiced a few times they could do a
better job, but not bad for a C-207 in between two ball fields. It gets

9.5 in my book (there was some damage so I had to lower the score a half

notch). If someone finds the video link please post it.

There is a video link on this page ...
http://www.msnbc.com/local/ktuu/m315419.asp?0ct=-302
I can't get the vid to play ... maybe someone else can.

WW

Old August 4th 03, 03:41 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jim Fisher wrote:

Sorry, but this judge is gonna have to take off a couple of points for not
using flaps.

I was taught never to use flaps on a Cessna if the engine is dead. You never
know how far down the battery can drive them, and you may not be able to
get them up if you need to. I give hime a ten. Period.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old August 4th 03, 04:16 AM
john smith

Jim Fisher wrote:
Sorry, but this judge is gonna have to take off a couple of points for not
using flaps. Of course, he might have been trying to stretch the glide to
make the running track but the steep approach tends to suggests otherwise.

Why use flaps when you can slip and have more control over the descent?
Old August 4th 03, 04:22 AM
Jim Fisher

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
I was taught never to use flaps on a Cessna if the engine is dead. You

never
know how far down the battery can drive them, and you may not be able to
get them up if you need to.

Why would he need to get them back up? His engine was dead He was committed
to a landing.

A serious question, though: Assuming the cause of fan stoppage was not due
to failure of the battery, would not the battery have plenty of juice to
power quite a few flap deployments?

IN any case I was taught to use them to achieve the slowest speed possible
in case of a runway (or running track) mishap . . and NOT to use them
unless you have your landing spot made. Sorry, but I give in an 8 max. Of
course, this is very easy for me to say from the comfort of my armchair.

I should probably take a point or two off for him cruising "500 to 1000
feet" AGL (according to someone in the video) without a really good landing
spot picked out.

Additional points should be deducted for him violating the TFR around
sporting events but let's not be anal.

All points will be forfeited and the pilot disqualified if the cause turns
out to be fuel exhaustion.

--
Jim Fisher

Old August 4th 03, 04:39 AM
Newps

I was taught never to use flaps on a Cessna if the engine is dead. You

never

know how far down the battery can drive them, and you may not be able to
get them up if you need to.

You will be able to run the flaps up and down at least 100 times on a
fully charged battery

Old August 4th 03, 05:36 AM
gblack

:
: Why use flaps when you can slip and have more control over the
descent?
and how many pilots nowadays (apart from those trained back in the
flapless days) would be happy slipping for the first time under such
conditions ???

Old August 4th 03, 05:41 AM
Sydney Hoeltzli

gblack wrote:

and how many pilots nowadays (apart from those trained back in the
flapless days) would be happy slipping for the first time under such
conditions ???

Are you saying a pilot landing under those conditions would be
slipping for the first time?

It's a required pre-solo maneuver

If a pilot doesn't practice it regularly enough to be comfy
when needed, they're missing a portion of their proficiency.

Sydney (has flaps, will slip with and without them)

Old August 4th 03, 06:24 AM
Michael 182

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message

A serious question, though: Assuming the cause of fan stoppage was not

due
to failure of the battery...

I'm probably missing something, but how would a dead battery stop the prop
(assuming fan means prop) ?

Old August 4th 03, 06:34 AM
Michael 182

"Newps" wrote in message
et...

Because Cessna pilots don't have to slip. I have made over 1500
landings in my 182 and have never had to go around because I screwed up
the approach. These aren't all 10,000 foot runways either. I play in
the dirt with all the other right thinking 182 drivers out there. The
flaps are simply that good. Every now and again I will practice a slip
but those Cessna barn doors are 1000% better than a slip anyday.

If you're high and fast in a 182 in an emergency landing, and you need to
lose altitude to hit the landing spot, a slip might be needed to drop
quickly enough. Then you can slow and use the flaps. But in general, I agree
with you - with 40 degrees out, if you are low you have to drag it in with
power...

Michael