NATCA Going Down in Flames

Old September 4th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default NATCA Going Down in Flames

On 4 Sep 2006 06:25:12 -0700, "Jay Honeck" wrote
in . com:

But that begs the issue: Since when can't an employer set a dress
code?

It would seem, from what you posted in your initial article in this
message thread, that the FAA has in fact set a dress code. Or did you
miss that fact?

Old September 4th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 4 Sep 2006 06:35:19 -0700, "Jay Honeck" wrote
in . com:

In our hotel, our employee dress code is relatively liberal -- but it's
strictly adhered to.

Was acceptance of your dress code a condition of employment at the
time your employees were hired?

Old September 4th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:
If an employer can't even set a
dress code without inciting a union grievance, what does that say about
the attitude of their employees?

It doesn't say anything. Union membership is plummeting. We have only
3 out of 18 here. Mostly because of issues like this. We might have 1
left that belongs to the union next March, the only month you can quit
the union, by the way.
Old September 4th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 4 Sep 2006 06:49:48 -0700, "
wrote in . com:

It is the land of the FREE,

If they don't like the work rules in their place of employment they are
FREE to find a job elsewhere...............

And if the terms of their employment are changed _after_ they are
hired, they are free to resist a new policy imposed upon them without
their prior agreement.

What would be your feeling if the bank decided to double your fixed
mortgage interest rate despite your not having had an opportunity to
agree to their change?

Old September 4th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 10:09:44 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote in
:

What does it say about our society when we care more for appearance
than performance?

Does it say, that those in charge must posture before the public for a
successful re-election bid, and that attitude then permeates the
leadership?

Old September 4th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Javier[_1_]

Larry Dighera wrote:

What would be your feeling if the bank decided to double your fixed
mortgage interest rate despite your not having had an opportunity to
agree to their change?

If I have a contract with the bank for a fixed rate for a number of
years, I expect them to keep the interest rate the same through the
period, since that's what the contract states, no?

In the matter of what to wear to work, I think it's silly for the FAA to
require the controllers to adhere to a certain dress code. I wonder if
the real reason for the dress code change is to torque someone.

In the matter of the union pushing their members to waste time and
resources to make a point, I think that it is likely to contribute
sourness to an already stressed relationship.

So both sides may be playing by the rules, but I'm not sure either is
contributing to improving the current status quo.

-jav
Old September 4th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:17:57 -0400, Javier
wrote in :

Larry Dighera wrote:

What would be your feeling if the bank decided to double your fixed
mortgage interest rate despite your not having had an opportunity to
agree to their change?

If I have a contract with the bank for a fixed rate for a number of
years, I expect them to keep the interest rate the same through the
period, since that's what the contract states, no?

Changing the terms of a contract without the agreement of all parties
constitutes a breach of contract, doesn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breach_of_contract
Breach of contract is a legal concept in which a binding agreement
or bargained-for exchange is not honored by one or more of the
parties to the contract by non-performance or interference with
the other party's performance.

[...]

In the matter of the union pushing their members to waste time and
resources to make a point, I think that it is likely to contribute
sourness to an already stressed relationship.

I wasn't aware the union was doing that. Can you please quote a
source that supports that allegation?
Old September 4th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee

This is ridiculous that a union is opposed to casual attire (slack &
collard shirts). I did not read suits.

Sounds like NATCA needs to be Reaganed.

Ron Lee

Old September 4th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, none said:
This is ridiculous that a union is opposed to casual attire (slack &
collard shirts). I did not read suits.

It's ridiculous that an employer thinks they can arbitrarily change the
terms of employment without consulting the employees.

Sounds like NATCA needs to be Reaganed.

It sounds like this country needs to remember that employees aren't
slaves.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Considering the number of wheels Microsoft has found reason to invent,
Old September 4th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Gaquin

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Changing the terms of a contract without the agreement of all parties
constitutes a breach of contract, doesn't it?

The first thing to determine is whether or not unrestricted freedom of dress
is a matter of contract under the present agreement.

In the matter of the union pushing their members to waste time and
resources to make a point,

I wasn't aware the union was doing that.

Demending the presence of a union rep at any conversation between employee
and supervisor is clearly a waste of time and obstruction of the orderly
flow of the work process. Anyone can see that.

Unions, and particularly, it seems, ATC unions, have a history of accepting
very bad advice at the worst possible time. Hence their "strong and
growing" position in the American economy.