Thrown out of an FBO...

Old November 9th 06, 08:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

Default Thrown out of an FBO...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
We'll never know -- and we'll never be back. It's a shame -- with all
the problems facing GA, small-town airports simply can't afford to have
FBOs driving off what little business they have (we were the only plane
there) -- but for us there are literally hundreds of other airports to
visit, so it won't matter much.

But this day will always bother me, nonetheless.

Sorry, Jay. I would agree that his response was probably over the top, but
then it's hard to predict how a person will react when you insult them.
That reaction depends on a variety of factors, including something as simple
as how their day had been going so far.

You have no way of knowing in advance what those factors are, nor what the
reaction will be. It's why you ought to be careful in the first place about
throwing broad generalizations like that around. Yet, you managed TWO in a
single conversation (as if you could fix the first with another).

I've seen you post generalizations like that here in the past. Some times I
call you on it (to no avail), but most of the time I just ignore it (since
mentioning it does no good anyway). Maybe this experience will help you
rethink a little whether it's appropriate to stereotype people in the way
that you do. Just because most people would have handled your comments more
calmly, that doesn't mean your comments were appropriate.

And yes, I realize I'm probably just spittin' in the wind here...you
probably don't see any harm whatsoever in your comments, seeing how *your*
reaction to his was one of anger, rather than the embarassment that would
have been more appropriate. But you know me...I'm always willing to share
my two cents.

Pete

Old November 9th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I've seen you post generalizations like that here in the past. Some times I
call you on it (to no avail), but most of the time I just ignore it (since
mentioning it does no good anyway). Maybe this experience will help you
rethink a little whether it's appropriate to stereotype people in the way
that you do. Just because most people would have handled your comments more
calmly, that doesn't mean your comments were appropriate.

True, my comments were inappropriate given his position, and I regret
them. However, aside from the obvious fact that you never, EVER speak
with a customer the way he did, it is common knowledge that (a) most
charter pilots NEVER fill the courtesy car, and (b) we all know they
don't make diddly squat for salary -- which is why those of us who
provide courtesy cars turn the other cheek and continue to let them
borrow our cars.

You can call it a "stereotype" if you wish. I call it "experience."

We have shared this experience with FBO owners in dozens of locations
across America, and it has always brought a knowing laugh and nods of
agreement. Every FBO owner in the country knows that most charter
pilots are going to return their car with the gas gauge sitting on
"empty" -- it's just something we all live with.

My mistake was in believing that I was sharing an inside joke with an
FBO owner and fellow courtesy car provider. At least yesterday, this
guy was a charter pilot first, and an FBO owner as an afterthought --
and he took the joke personally.

At this point the best thing that might happen is that he sits down
with his pilots, and drills into them that they should ALWAYS fill the
courtesy car whenever they use it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 9th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
True, my comments were inappropriate given his position, and I regret
them. However, aside from the obvious fact that you never, EVER speak
with a customer the way he did, it is common knowledge that (a) most
charter pilots NEVER fill the courtesy car, and (b) we all know they
don't make diddly squat for salary -- which is why those of us who
provide courtesy cars turn the other cheek and continue to let them
borrow our cars.

You can call it a "stereotype" if you wish. I call it "experience."

Yeah, I didn't think you'd actually get the point.

Last clue: "common knowledge" often has no bearing whatsoever on the truth,
and in your case is being used simply as an excuse to stereotype. Even if
in your experience, things are as you state (and frankly, even knowing who
is and who is not a charter pilot is not always easy to tell, and as far as
salaries go, unless you're asking everyone for financials as they come
through, you have NO way to know that), that does not justify painting all
charter pilots with the same brush.

I admit that the question of charter pilot behavior is not so socially
important as the question of race relations, but your way of thinking about
the former is exactly the same sort of thinking that causes problems in the
latter. The consequences of your prejudiced thinking may not be as serious,
but it's exactly the same mindset. It's not appropriate in any context.

Pete

Old November 9th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...

You can call it a "stereotype" if you wish. I call it "experience."

Would you like to hear my experience with privately owned hotels vs chains?

Old November 9th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Steve Foley wrote:

Would you like to hear my experience with privately owned hotels vs chains?

If it's the same as mine, Jay's place is in rare company. G

Old November 9th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bill Watson

B A R R Y wrote:
Steve Foley wrote:

Would you like to hear my experience with privately owned hotels vs
chains?

If it's the same as mine, Jay's place is in rare company. G

Indeed. Same here. But no offense
Old November 9th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
Would you like to hear my experience with privately owned hotels vs

chains?

Awh, 'ell... I always figured that Honeck was a funny name for an Indian or
Pakistani...

Old November 10th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Awh, 'ell... I always figured that Honeck was a funny name for an Indian or
Pakistani...

Actually, many Pakistani motel owners are named "Jay" -- but their last
name is usually "Patel".

The Patel family has quietly and inexorably bought up nearly every
econobox motel in the country, one by one, simply by bringing more
family members over as properties became available.

In many cases their motels are quite excellent. In a seemingly equal
number of cases, their motels are simply appalling. I've not taken to
time to determine why, any more than I've figured out why 2 out of 3
restaurants suck and usually fail within three years.

The trick is to finding a good, privately owned HOTEL (not motel) is to
find the ones that are also members of their bed & breakfast guilds, as
we are. They are few and far between, but denote a level of excellence
that far exceeds the average MOtel.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 9th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Visitor

Steve Foley wrote:

Would you like to hear my experience with privately owned hotels vs chains?

Even if you did speak up, he would not eject you from his hotel. In
fact, I suspect, you would probably still be welcome. Telling him to
leave and not come back was disporportionat and extreme. Waaaay over the
top. They fbo guy showed his real character.

John

Old November 9th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Steve Foley wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...

You can call it a "stereotype" if you wish. I call it "experience."

Would you like to hear my experience with privately owned hotels vs chains?

Ha, ha, ha ... I was thinking the same thing... :-)

Matt