Looking for good aviation weather web sites

Old July 12th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dave

Default Looking for good aviation weather web sites

Anybody have a favorite aviation weather web site with 24hr+ forecasts?

Dave
Old July 12th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

http://forecast.weather.gov

http://adds.aviationweather.gov/

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old July 13th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steven Barnes

This takes you to my home airport, but you can change to whatever you need.
http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/c...Get+Fo recast

I'll 2nd the adds.aviation site. I get my legal briefing from DUATS. I get
my visual picture from ADDS.

Old July 13th 08, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Steven Barnes wrote:
This takes you to my home airport, but you can change to whatever you need.
http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/c...Get+Fo recast

I'll 2nd the adds.aviation site. I get my legal briefing from DUATS. I get
my visual picture from ADDS.

Make it a 3rd!

Along with the "click on the radar to animate" feature, I also like the
multiple TAF / METAR feature on ADDS.

You can enter strings of airport identifiers, and get all the info at
once. Neat!

The animated maps show the very important direction of speed and travel
of the weather. I know many sources animate, but ADDS does it in one click.
Old July 13th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dave

"Dave" wrote in message
Anybody have a favorite aviation weather web site with 24hr+ forecasts?

Dave

Thanks for the web sites. They both are very informative!!!

Cheers

Dave
Old July 16th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"Dave" wrote in message
Anybody have a favorite aviation weather web site with 24hr+ forecasts?

Dave

Thanks for the web sites. They both are very informative!!!

Cheers

Dave

Here's a good site:
http://maps.avnwx.com/

From this site you can send an email from your mobile phone and receive free
METARs and TAFs
http://flightaware.com/mobile/emetar/

You can also get METARs from Google a little easier via SMS, but no TAFs:
http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/mob...sms/index.html

From the usairnet site you can also get winds aloft and temps at altitude:
http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/Wind...i?location=DAL

This one has a bit of a learning curve, but has some really nice tools that
are better than the ADDS site:
http://weather.aero/hems/

There's lots of great stuff on this one:
http://www.wunderground.com/

Old July 16th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

"Steven Barnes" wrote in message
This takes you to my home airport, but you can change to whatever you need.
http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/c...Get+Fo recast

I have been using the above site for years now, and not just for aviation. I
gives you the predicted weather, (including winds, cloud cover,temperature,
precipitation etc. etc.) for the next 3 days or so presented in 4 hour
increments.

What more could you ask for?

Vaughn

Old July 17th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Steven Barnes" wrote in message
This takes you to my home airport, but you can change to whatever you
need.
http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/c...Get+Fo recast

I have been using the above site for years now, and not just for
aviation. I gives you the predicted weather, (including winds, cloud
cover,temperature, precipitation etc. etc.) for the next 3 days or so
presented in 4 hour increments.

What more could you ask for?

The usairnet site in question uses raw GFS MOS GRIB data.

A meteorologist will use several models in search of a consensus and
sometimes analyze each model to determine which ones are more relevant given
a particular situation. As such human derived (or at least computer
assisted, human derived) forecasts are generally more accurate. That's not
to say the usairnet forecast is worthless, you just should understand its
limitation.

Old July 18th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

"Mike" wrote in message
That's not to say the usairnet forecast is worthless, you just should
understand its limitation.

Of course! They state the origin of their raw data at the bottom of the
page. I fully realize that a staff of weather experts might do a better job,
but for "quick and dirty" weather forcasts this will have to do until then.

Regards
Vaughn

Old July 18th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"Mike" wrote in message
That's not to say the usairnet forecast is worthless, you just should
understand its limitation.

Of course! They state the origin of their raw data at the bottom of the
page. I fully realize that a staff of weather experts might do a better
job, but for "quick and dirty" weather forcasts this will have to do until
then.

I agree. I use the usairnet site all the time because I like the format in
which it's presented.