Proper Way to Insert Multi-Probe

Old February 15th 18, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Proper Way to Insert Multi-Probe

When I got my Stemme, I asked my instructor if there was a proper
technique to insert the multi-probe in the nose.Â* He said to just push
it in until I hear/feel a metallic click.Â* That's worked just fine for
the past two years but I wonder if I should lubricate the thing, say
with Vaseline or something.Â* I shudder to think of replacing internal
o-rings.
--
Dan, 5J
Old February 15th 18, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

On Thursday, 15 February 2018 10:24:24 UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
When I got my Stemme, I asked my instructor if there was a proper
technique to insert the multi-probe in the nose.Â* He said to just push
it in until I hear/feel a metallic click.Â* That's worked just fine for
the past two years but I wonder if I should lubricate the thing, say
with Vaseline or something.Â* I shudder to think of replacing internal
o-rings.
--
Dan, 5J

Yes, you should lubricate the probe each time but very sparingly. Some people have plugged the openings by being a little over zealous....

Luke

Old February 15th 18, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Lubricate with clear silicone you can buy at Lowes in the plumbing dept.

I use "sparingly" and several times per year seems plenty.
Old February 15th 18, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 7:24:24 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
When I got my Stemme, I asked my instructor if there was a proper
technique to insert the multi-probe in the nose.Â* He said to just push
it in until I hear/feel a metallic click.Â* That's worked just fine for
the past two years but I wonder if I should lubricate the thing, say
with Vaseline or something.Â* I shudder to think of replacing internal
o-rings.
--
Dan, 5J

Pinch your nose to get some skin oils on your fingers, and wipe the probe. Just enough lubrication, and readily available! Works like a charm.

Old February 15th 18, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I ended up with a jar of what is labeled "O-Ring Grease" from way back. Probably from the swimming pool store. I also use it on my water ballast valves.

I add a very little to the multiprobe a few times a season when I can feel it getting stiff. You can see the various ports on the probe so I make certain there's no accumulation of grease there.

I twist the probe as I push it in. That spreads whatever grease is there and also seems to be easier on the o-rings. I've heard of a few people who have managed to replace them (M&H) but it's not something I would want to try.

Chip Bearden
Old February 15th 18, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 10:47:02 AM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 7:24:24 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
When I got my Stemme, I asked my instructor if there was a proper
technique to insert the multi-probe in the nose.Â* He said to just push
it in until I hear/feel a metallic click.Â* That's worked just fine for
the past two years but I wonder if I should lubricate the thing, say
with Vaseline or something.Â* I shudder to think of replacing internal
o-rings.
--
Dan, 5J

Pinch your nose to get some skin oils on your fingers, and wipe the probe.. Just enough lubrication, and readily available! Works like a charm.

I do the same thing. I also put a wrap of white tape just at the edge of the socket as a witness to make sure it is in all the way.
UH
Old February 15th 18, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Yep, agreed.
Store the probe so it stays clean (lot of times we use one of the ASx side cockpit vents, also helps keep peeps from dropping something on it.....), wipe it off a few times a year, very thin smear of lube, twist while installing.
Yes, the "witness mark" tape is nice. If for some reason the probe sorta "hangs" on install, you may have a huge system leak/cross talk if it's not fully seated. Yep, did a spring flight like that once, helped fine tune my butt vario...... Just twist it in until the tape is against the tube in the fin, align the angled probe as required (some say straight up, some say straight down....).
Old February 15th 18, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Thompson[_2_]

There are clear instructions by ESA at
https://tinyurl.com/ESAFAQEnglish
which suggest cleanliness, light lubrication, and give
orientation advice also. Just saying.

=
[...]

Prandtl multi probe receptacle used for TE only? Matt Herron Jr. Soaring 12 February 15th 18 09:32 PM
Proper Std. Cirrus class Jacopo Romei Soaring 4 January 9th 17 08:57 PM
I will be insert usenet Mark Piloting 2 October 10th 10 12:32 PM
Multi - probe KP Soaring 1 March 7th 05 07:03 PM