STC'd Landing Light?

Old June 23rd 04, 05:03 AM
Jay Honeck

Default STC'd Landing Light?

This was spotted at the National Cherokee Fly-In last weekend:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/CPA/Small%20Non-standard%20landing%20light%20on%20Cherokee!%206-04.jpg

There's a matching one on the other strut, too.

How's it possible that this light is legal?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 23rd 04, 05:14 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]
How's it possible that this light is legal?

Why would it not be? Your subject implies there's an STC, which clearly
makes it legal, but even if we're just a victim of a misleading subject, it
could have been installed as a one-time 337 approval.

For that matter, what are the "external load" rules? I don't know them off
the top of my head, but maybe these lights simply qualify as an external
load.

I'd be curious as to how effective they are. The light looks like a normal
fog/driving light that you normally find under the bumper of an automobile.
Those are nice to have in a car, but the ones I've used don't provide enough
beam to be useful at landing speeds. Maybe for taxiing around though.

The thing I'm trying to figure out is, you were at the fly-in yourself, you
took the picture of the landing lights (it seems), but you didn't ask the
owner of the airplane directly? Isn't that the whole point of a fly-in, to
meet the other pilots and learn about each other's airplanes and
experiences? Even if the owner weren't around, you could have left a note.
I have been left notes on my own airplane, and am perfectly happy to phone
someone who wants to ask about it.

Pete

Old June 23rd 04, 03:13 PM
Jay Honeck

How's it possible that this light is legal?

Why would it not be? Your subject implies there's an STC, which clearly
makes it legal, but even if we're just a victim of a misleading subject,

it
could have been installed as a one-time 337 approval.

I suppose it's possible he got a field approval for (what appear to be)
Subaru fog lights on the struts of a certificated aircraft. It just
doesn't seem to happen that way in my neck of the woods.

Personally, I think it's the greatest landing/taxi light I've seen. The
fact that he had the balls to fly into a major fly-in with those installed
indicates that either:

a) They ARE legal
or
b) He's a ramp check waiting to happen

The thing I'm trying to figure out is, you were at the fly-in yourself,

you
took the picture of the landing lights (it seems), but you didn't ask the
owner of the airplane directly?

We never did run into the guy who owned it. It was just one of over 130
Cherokees, parked wingtip to wingtip. We took pictures of many of them.

Even if the owner weren't around, you could have left a note.
I have been left notes on my own airplane, and am perfectly happy to phone
someone who wants to ask about it.

'Spose we could have. Instead we just took the picture and kept on walking,
laughing.

I really want a set of those $39.95 "landing lights!" They sure expose the
$1K "Boom beam" for the rip-off it really is, and probably work almost as
well. Maybe better, on the ground.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 23rd 04, 03:51 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:13:58 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

I really want a set of those $39.95 "landing lights!" They sure expose the
$1K "Boom beam" for the rip-off it really is, and probably work almost as
well. Maybe better, on the ground.

you could improve the idea in the way that a local T18 owner did.
his are in the face of a hinged cover. when not in use they fold up
into a streamline position shining down. great for night time walk
arounds.
in flight they can be pulled into the landing position or any position
between by a pull cable in the cockpit.
he says that the ability to incline the light during the approach to
pick out something better is something he loves.
Stealth Pilot
Australia
Old June 23rd 04, 07:23 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

This was spotted at the National Cherokee Fly-In last weekend:

Looks exactly like a Bosch auto driving light. In any case, if you have the
specifications (mainly the weight and voltage draw) and can find a friendly
inspector, a 337 and a field inspection makes it legal.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old June 26th 04, 12:38 AM
Hankal

Looks exactly like a Bosch auto driving light. In any case, if you have the
specifications (mainly the weight and voltage draw

What is the voltage draw on the average landing light?
Old June 26th 04, 02:17 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Hankal wrote:

What is the voltage draw on the average landing light?

They run between 50 and 450 watts, with either a 14 volt or 28 volt system. Probably
the most common is the 4509, which is a 14 volt, 100 watt bulb. My aircraft has two.
The Bosch driving lights (which those resemble) use 12 volt 50 watt quartz halogen
bulbs. They would work just fine with a 14 volt aircraft system.

Old June 28th 04, 02:34 PM
Hankal

. Probably the most common is the 4509, which is a 14 volt, 100 watt bulb

I have one and it trips my 20 amp CB.
I know I do not have a short, but maybe my 20 amp CB is weak.
Any comments?
Hank

Old June 28th 04, 03:06 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Hankal wrote:

. Probably the most common is the 4509, which is a 14 volt, 100 watt bulb

I have one and it trips my 20 amp CB.
I know I do not have a short, but maybe my 20 amp CB is weak.
Any comments?

Using Ohm's law, that bulb draws 7.14 amps. Here's what I would do. First, I'd try a
new bulb. If the problem persists, I would remove the bulb and turn the switch on.
a. If the breaker trips, you have a short in either the switch, the socket, or the
wiring between the two. I would then disconnect the switch from the wiring to the
light and try again. If the breaker pops, the problem is in the switch.
b. If the breaker does not trip in the first test, then hook up a pair of test wires
to the bulb. Disconnect the wire that runs from the breaker to the switch at the
breaker. Then run one of the test wires to ground and touch the other to the breaker
output pole. If the breaker trips, it's the breaker.

Old June 30th 04, 12:51 AM
Hankal

Then run one of the test wires to ground and touch the other to the breaker
output pole. If the breaker trips, it's the breaker.

Thanks George