Goin' to Detroit

Old May 5th 05, 01:21 AM
Jimmy B.

Default Goin' to Detroit

Hey all, looks like I need to plan a flight to the Detroit area for a
family thing.

The actual function I'm attending is in Ypsilanti but everyone is
meeting at my sister's house which is in South Lyon.

So it looks like either New Hudson (Y47), Willow Run (YIP) or Pontiac
(PTK) are my choices for airports to fly into.

Any PIREPs on any of these airports would be appreciated. Also, if I've
overlooked a good choice, please let me know.

I'm flying a 172RG so runway length really isn't an issue, but this is
an all weekend function so something with tie-downs is needed.

TIA for any information.
Old May 5th 05, 05:34 AM
Chris Schmelzer

In article . net,
"Jimmy B." wrote:

Hey all, looks like I need to plan a flight to the Detroit area for a
family thing.

The actual function I'm attending is in Ypsilanti but everyone is
meeting at my sister's house which is in South Lyon.

So it looks like either New Hudson (Y47), Willow Run (YIP) or Pontiac
(PTK) are my choices for airports to fly into.

Any PIREPs on any of these airports would be appreciated. Also, if I've
overlooked a good choice, please let me know.

I'm flying a 172RG so runway length really isn't an issue, but this is
an all weekend function so something with tie-downs is needed.

TIA for any information.

If you consider KARB (Ann Arbor) I'd be more than happy to offer you any
assistance...

-Chris

--
Chris Schmelzer, MD
Capt, 110th Fighter Michigan ANG
Old May 5th 05, 12:51 PM
Denny

Being local in mid Michigan I have been to all three airports, and they
are just airports...

PTK is the busiest with a mix of bug smashers and jets, heavy student
training, etc... It is one of the busiest Gen Av airports in the
country and would be a good experience to do, at least once...
YIP is busy but not in the same league with PTK...
Y47 is least busy...

Which is closer and more convenient for your family to drive to - pick
that one...
uuhhh, off the top of my head I think that Y47 is the closest to South
Lyons, like 7-8 miles or so, isn't it? Go to AIRNAV.COM and take a
look - I'm outta here...

cheers ... denny

Old May 5th 05, 09:02 PM
Morgans

"Chris Schmelzer" wrote

If you consider KARB (Ann Arbor) I'd be more than happy to offer you any
assistance...

-Chris

Ann Arbor? Isn't that where they insert the hose, when the United States
gets an enima? Bfg
--
Jim in NC (Go Bucks! )

Old May 6th 05, 05:24 AM
Chris Schmelzer

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

"Chris Schmelzer" wrote

If you consider KARB (Ann Arbor) I'd be more than happy to offer you any
assistance...

-Chris

Ann Arbor? Isn't that where they insert the hose, when the United States
gets an enima? Bfg

Huh?

Old May 6th 05, 06:46 AM
W P Dixon

I believe Chris that Jim is taking a friendly jab at the University of
Michigan, being as he is a Buckeye fan. Of course I think that the best
thing that happened with Ohio St football was when Woody Hayes knocked the
crap out of the Clemson player. Being a Georgia Dawg from my Dad's side and
a Carolina Gamecock on Mom's , I just have to hate Clemson.....sorta like
Jim hates Michigan

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"Chris Schmelzer" wrote in message

"Chris Schmelzer" wrote

Old May 7th 05, 01:27 AM
Jimmy B.

Denny wrote:
Being local in mid Michigan I have been to all three airports, and they
are just airports...

PTK is the busiest with a mix of bug smashers and jets, heavy student
training, etc... It is one of the busiest Gen Av airports in the
country and would be a good experience to do, at least once...
YIP is busy but not in the same league with PTK...
Y47 is least busy...

Which is closer and more convenient for your family to drive to - pick
that one...
uuhhh, off the top of my head I think that Y47 is the closest to South
Lyons, like 7-8 miles or so, isn't it? Go to AIRNAV.COM and take a
look - I'm outta here...

cheers ... denny

Yeah, Y47 is like 5 miles from where we're meeting. But it also has the
most expensive fuel of the lot also. Does Y47 have transient tie downs?

I'm thinking that YIP might be better because they have rental cars
right there. (With Y47, you have to get Enterprise, which is a pick-up
sort of thing.)

Old May 7th 05, 01:28 AM
Jimmy B.

Chris Schmelzer wrote:
In article . net,
"Jimmy B." wrote:

Hey all, looks like I need to plan a flight to the Detroit area for a
family thing.

The actual function I'm attending is in Ypsilanti but everyone is
meeting at my sister's house which is in South Lyon.

So it looks like either New Hudson (Y47), Willow Run (YIP) or Pontiac
(PTK) are my choices for airports to fly into.

Any PIREPs on any of these airports would be appreciated. Also, if I've
overlooked a good choice, please let me know.

I'm flying a 172RG so runway length really isn't an issue, but this is
an all weekend function so something with tie-downs is needed.

TIA for any information.

If you consider KARB (Ann Arbor) I'd be more than happy to offer you any
assistance...

-Chris

Okay, I looked into ARB but didn't see any reason to use it instead of
YIP. Is there something I'm missing?
Old May 9th 05, 08:10 AM
Morgans

"W P Dixon" wrote in message

I believe Chris that Jim is taking a friendly jab at the University of
Michigan, being as he is a Buckeye fan.`

What makes you think that was a "friendly " jab? ;-)

Of course I think that the best
thing that happened with Ohio St football was when Woody Hayes knocked

the
crap out of the Clemson player.

Yep. I was there, in the band, at the time. We refer to that as the
"Punch" bowl. g
--
Jim in NC

Old May 9th 05, 10:13 AM
W P Dixon

Yep,
To my Uncle in Gaffney SC ,Woody Hayes will always be his hero for knocking
the crap out of "The Palestine Heathen" Clemson player. So you were in
the Buckeye band, pretty cool, what did you play? I played sax in high
school. Got tired of the whole marching band thing and picked up a guitar
instead .

Patrick
student SPL
aicraft structural mech