When to acknowledge ATC

Old May 5th 05, 10:21 PM
Andrew

Default When to acknowledge ATC

ATC says "radar contact, 20 miles south of XYZ, proceed on course". Do
you acknowledge this transmission? How about when ATC says "altimeter
setting 2992" on your first contact after a handoff? Does this require
acknowledgement?

In the past, I've acknowledged such things if the controller was not
busy. But I've heard all kinds. Some people read back the altimeter
setting. I've even heard people reading back the "radar contact"
message. I feel that this is a waste of bandwidth. However, I don't
know what ATC prefers. Do they want read back for everything, or should
we shut up as much as possible?

Old May 5th 05, 10:39 PM
A Lieberman

On 5 May 2005 14:21:41 -0700, Andrew wrote:

ATC says "radar contact, 20 miles south of XYZ, proceed on course". Do
you acknowledge this transmission?

Yes. I read back all instructions. So, I would acknowledge the initial
contact:

proceed on course, 43 Lima. No need to repeat the location as that is what
I believe ATC's verification of your position.

How about when ATC says "altimeter
setting 2992" on your first contact after a handoff? Does this require
acknowledgement?

I don't think altimeter readings are "required", however, if anything, from
what I understand it helps ATC to see that you hear them. So, I would read
29.92, 43 lima

What I wonder is, is it better to say your tail number first or after your
acknowledgement or read back of instructions. I tend to flip flop.

Allen
Old May 5th 05, 10:43 PM
R.L.

Depends on the context. Is "proceed on course" a clearance into Class B?
I'd WILCO it generally. The altimeter setting is another story. I'd just
say ROGER, thanks.

oups.com...

Old May 5th 05, 10:52 PM
Newps

Andrew wrote:
ATC says "radar contact, 20 miles south of XYZ, proceed on course". Do
you acknowledge this transmission?

Yes.

How about when ATC says "altimeter
setting 2992" on your first contact after a handoff? Does this require
acknowledgement?

No, none is desired either.

In the past, I've acknowledged such things if the controller was not
busy. But I've heard all kinds. Some people read back the altimeter
setting.

Worst of the bunch.

I've even heard people reading back the "radar contact"
message. I feel that this is a waste of bandwidth.

Yes.

However, I don't
know what ATC prefers. Do they want read back for everything,

No.

or should
we shut up as much as possible?

Pretty much.

Old May 5th 05, 10:57 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Newps said:
How about when ATC says "altimeter
setting 2992" on your first contact after a handoff? Does this require
acknowledgement?

No, none is desired either.

However, some Canadian controllers, if you don't read it back, will give
it to you again. But other Canadian controllers say it's not required.
You can't win.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Knuth is definitely the ******* something from hell. I just admire him
Old May 5th 05, 11:16 PM

"R.L." wrote:
[snip] I'd just say ROGER, thanks.

My first instructor, when teaching me the radios, said: "DO *NOT* say
'Roger!'" Maybe it was just her pet peeve, but she insisted that it was
more professional to acknowledge with your tail number vs. saying
"Roger" ... i.e., "95B, thanks".
Old May 5th 05, 11:18 PM
Happy Dog

"Andrew" wrote in message

ATC says "radar contact, 20 miles south of XYZ, proceed on course". Do
you acknowledge this transmission? How about when ATC says "altimeter
setting 2992" on your first contact after a handoff? Does this require
acknowledgement?

Yes.

In the past, I've acknowledged such things if the controller was not
busy. But I've heard all kinds. Some people read back the altimeter
setting. I've even heard people reading back the "radar contact"
message. I feel that this is a waste of bandwidth. However, I don't
know what ATC prefers. Do they want read back for everything, or should
we shut up as much as possible?

Learn to get a quick feel for how busy they are. NYC Class B is insanely
busy and ATC there can practically tell what you mean if all you do is
grunt. Try to anticipate how important your read back will be to them.
Traffic confirmation, exact traffic confirmation, helps them immensely and
is worth the time to let them know if you're really sure you have the
traffic they're talking about. Things like radar contact and altimeter
setting only require your abbreviated call sign (assuming that's how they ID
you) as a response. Xponder code should be read back if you have the
slightest doubt you you've heard it correctly. If things are slow, read
back everything. If you can arrange it, pay a visit to a tower or ATC
facility. It's worth the time.

moo

Old May 5th 05, 11:33 PM
R.L.

The AIM defines the term "Roger" as, "I have received all of your last
transmission," and states that it "should not be used to answer a question
requiring a yes or no answer."

The altimeter setting is not a clearance or a question, but an advisory
transmission. ROGER fits the bill.

Old May 5th 05, 11:36 PM
Andrew

I was flying through Chicago last night, VFR outside class B. The
controller was busy. When he said "01U radar contact, xx miles from yy"
I decided to not say anything back. He was busy talking to many
airplanes. A few minutes later, he repeated the "01U radar contact, xx
miles from yy". I guess he wanted an acknowledgement, even though he
was busy.

Old May 5th 05, 11:44 PM
Jim Burns

I've found that in the Midwest, they like a response even if they are busy.
I've found that down south when they are busy, they want you to keep quiet.
I try to go with the flow but realize that you don't know what the flow is
on initial call up.
Jim

ups.com...