When to acknowledge ATC

Old May 5th 05, 11:46 PM
Happy Dog

"Andrew" wrote in message

I was flying through Chicago last night, VFR outside class B. The
controller was busy. When he said "01U radar contact, xx miles from yy"
I decided to not say anything back. He was busy talking to many
airplanes. A few minutes later, he repeated the "01U radar contact, xx
miles from yy". I guess he wanted an acknowledgement, even though he
was busy.

He *needs* an acknowledgement.

moo

Old May 6th 05, 01:26 AM
John Clonts

"Andrew" wrote in message
oups.com...
ATC says "radar contact, 20 miles south of XYZ, proceed on course". Do
you acknowledge this transmission?

Yes, "Roger, 7NZ"

How about when ATC says "altimeter
setting 2992" on your first contact after a handoff? Does this require
acknowledgement?

Yes, "Roger, 7NZ"

ALWAYS acknowledge. Now if you were meaning "readback" when you wrote "acknowledge", thats a different
question...

In the past, I've acknowledged such things if the controller was not
busy. But I've heard all kinds. Some people read back the altimeter
setting. I've even heard people reading back the "radar contact"
message. I feel that this is a waste of bandwidth. However, I don't
know what ATC prefers. Do they want read back for everything, or should
we shut up as much as possible?

Aha, now your talking about readback. My experience is, only readback clearances and numbers, and a few other
important items like "hold short of runway XX" . But I don't usually read back altimeter settings.
--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Old May 6th 05, 02:07 AM
Al Gilson

Bob Gardner: What say you?

Andrew wrote:
ATC says "radar contact, 20 miles south of XYZ, proceed on course". Do
you acknowledge this transmission? How about when ATC says "altimeter

Old May 6th 05, 02:22 AM
kage

I haven't seen Bob on the board lately. In fact, not since before I went
flying with him about 10 days ago.

Karl

"Al Gilson" wrote in message
Bob Gardner: What say you?

Old May 6th 05, 02:36 AM
George Patterson

Andrew wrote:
ATC says "radar contact, 20 miles south of XYZ, proceed on course". Do
you acknowledge this transmission? How about when ATC says "altimeter
setting 2992" on your first contact after a handoff? Does this require
acknowledgement?

Dunno about required, but I acknowledge both.

In the past, I've acknowledged such things if the controller was not
busy.

I acknowledge with my N-number only. They'd have to be *real* busy for that to
cause trouble.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old May 6th 05, 02:47 AM
iflyatiger

The reason you need to acknowledge the altimeter setting is that it lets the
controller know that you hear him and there is 2 way communications.

Your first check in on the freq lets him hear you, the altimeter setting
lets you know you can hear him and your reply to the altimeter setting lets
him know you can hear him.

Jon

Old May 6th 05, 03:30 AM
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old May 6th 05, 03:54 AM
Peter R.

"R.L." wrote:

The altimeter setting is not a clearance or a question, but an advisory
transmission. ROGER fits the bill.

Yep, I hear this all the time, especially from ATC.

"Somewhere Approach, Bonanza 123 reporting tops at 6,500."

"Bonanza 123, Roger."

--
Peter

Old May 6th 05, 03:56 AM
Peter R.

Newps wrote:

In the past, I've acknowledged such things if the controller was not
busy. But I've heard all kinds. Some people read back the altimeter
setting.

Worst of the bunch.

Tough cookies. You're getting it read back because that's my memory
aid.

--
Peter

Old May 6th 05, 04:21 AM
Ron Natalie

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

If you're working in any sort of Class C or D airspace, his
response to you is in fact clearance into that airspace.

No clearance is required.

So if he
responds, you can fly through unless ATC tells you 'remain outside
Class x Airspace'. Then you must read back something.

The last sentence makes no sense whatsoever. If I call and he answers,
that's two-way communciation and that's all that's required.

Class B airspace
requires ATC to tell you that you are cleared into it. So if ATC tells
you 'radar contact location, altimeter xx.xx', you're cleared through
that space where he's controlling, establishes 2-way comms, in which
you need to acknowledge that he hears you whether it's a vector he's
given you, or just replying with your callsign, that is all that's
needed. You can reply back with the alt. setting, but it isn't really
necessary.

RADAR CONTACT is not required. Altimeter setting is not required.
Readback is not required. You know he hears you because he responded
to your radio call with your call sign. I'm having a hard time
following your argument.