When to acknowledge ATC

Old May 6th 05, 05:26 AM
Chris Schmelzer

In article . com,
"Andrew" wrote:

I was flying through Chicago last night, VFR outside class B. The
controller was busy. When he said "01U radar contact, xx miles from yy"
I decided to not say anything back. He was busy talking to many
airplanes. A few minutes later, he repeated the "01U radar contact, xx
miles from yy". I guess he wanted an acknowledgement, even though he
was busy.

Just respond back something like 7-sierra-papa...just last of your tail#
is sufficient typically

--
Chris Schmelzer, MD
Capt, 110th Fighter Michigan ANG
Old May 6th 05, 06:27 AM
Peter Duniho

"Peter R." wrote in message
Newps wrote:

In the past, I've acknowledged such things if the controller was not
busy. But I've heard all kinds. Some people read back the altimeter
setting.

Worst of the bunch.

Tough cookies. You're getting it read back because that's my memory
aid.

It's better than just a memory aid (though that's useful too). A readback
of information like that is critical to air safety. No big deal if you get
the last digit wrong, but if you mess up something to the left of the
decimal, that's serious business. Best to check and make sure you heard it
right the first time.

A controller that thinks it's dumb to read back the altimeter setting is
probably not even listening to the readback. Obviously in that situation,
the readback is useless. But other controllers aren't so inconsiderate.

Of course, as the FAA has recently decided, if ATC fails to correct an
incorrect readback, the pilot is still to blame for whatever happens
subsequently. It's no wonder at least one controller has such a blasé
attitude about the issue. He's safe, dumb, and happy sitting in his chair,
while the pilot takes all the risk.

Pete

Old May 6th 05, 08:21 AM
Happy Dog

wrote in message
On 5 May 2005 14:21:41 -0700, "Andrew"
wrote:

ATC says "radar contact, 20 miles south of XYZ, proceed on course". Do
you acknowledge this transmission? Do they want read back for everything,
or should
we shut up as much as possible?

The best thing to do is click your transmitter twice.

Where did you hear that? ATC does that. But there's only one of them on
the freq. Pilots shouldn't. ATC requires a verbal response.

moo

Old May 6th 05, 09:19 AM

wrote:

ATC says "radar contact, 20 miles south of XYZ, proceed on course". Do
you acknowledge this transmission? Do they want read back for everything, or should
we shut up as much as possible?

The best thing to do is click your transmitter twice.

And in deference to Dudley, I'm going to put a smiley here.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Sorry, but I just couldn't do it.

Mike Weller

Old May 6th 05, 12:57 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Andrew" wrote in message
oups.com...

ATC says "radar contact, 20 miles south of XYZ, proceed on course". Do
you acknowledge this transmission? How about when ATC says "altimeter
setting 2992" on your first contact after a handoff? Does this require
acknowledgement?

If you don't acknowledge them they're going to be repeated.

In the past, I've acknowledged such things if the controller was not
busy. But I've heard all kinds. Some people read back the altimeter
setting. I've even heard people reading back the "radar contact"
message. I feel that this is a waste of bandwidth. However, I don't
know what ATC prefers. Do they want read back for everything, or should
we shut up as much as possible?

I read back control instructions; routes, headings altitudes, etc.
Everything else is just acknowledged.

Old May 6th 05, 01:05 PM
OtisWinslow

For me it depends on the situation and what I've been hearing
on frequency. I will most always acknowledge with something ..
it tells them I'm still with them. If they're up to their hind ends in
alligators .. then a quick acknowledgement of the last 3 letters
of my N number or just a "thanks". If I'm hearing them chit chatting
indicating they're bored silly then I might stretch it out to include "good
morning,
how's things going for you this morning"....

oups.com...

Old May 6th 05, 01:08 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"A Guy Called Tyketto" wrote in message
m...

It's a bit more than that.

If you're working in any sort of Class C or D airspace, his
response to you is in fact clearance into that airspace.

A clearance is not required for VFR operations in Class D or Class C
airspace. If you're operating IFR you had a clearance into that airspace
prior to your call.

So if he
responds, you can fly through unless ATC tells you 'remain outside
Class x Airspace'. Then you must read back something.

You can enter if he responds with your identification. If he doesn't you
have to remain outside, but you don't have to read anything back.

Class B airspace
requires ATC to tell you that you are cleared into it.

Class B airspace requires a clearance to enter, the clearance does not have
to be "Cleared into Class B airspace". If you're on an IFR clearance that
penetrates Class B airspace you're good to go. If you're VFR but have been
cleared for a practice approach that requires entry of Class B airspace
you're good to go.

So if ATC tells
you 'radar contact location, altimeter xx.xx', you're cleared through
that space where he's controlling, establishes 2-way comms, in which
you need to acknowledge that he hears you whether it's a vector he's
given you, or just replying with your callsign, that is all that's
needed.

Say what? You might want to clean that sentence up a bit.

Old May 6th 05, 01:09 PM
ram

I was told under no uncertain terms by ATC one day that "Double clicking is
*NOT* an acknowledgement." On the below, ATC is not only giving information
("radar contact"), but relaying instructions ("proceed on course").
Instructions require not only acknowledgement, but readback: "Proceeding on
course, 45Q."

As far as altimeter settings, if you don't acknowledge, ATC doesn't whether
or not you heard them. If you don't read them back, they don't know whether
or not you heard them correctly. "29.92, 45Q."

news:1115361381.ba8215193ce4b7d4faa4002afd3225cc@o nlynews...

Old May 6th 05, 01:13 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

It's better than just a memory aid (though that's useful too). A readback
of information like that is critical to air safety. No big deal if you
get the last digit wrong, but if you mess up something to the left of the
decimal, that's serious business. Best to check and make sure you heard
it right the first time.

Altimeter settings don't tend to vary a great deal from one controller to
the next. If you're issued one that differs by more than a few points from
the previous then it's a good idea to check on it.

Of course, as the FAA has recently decided, if ATC fails to correct an
incorrect readback, the pilot is still to blame for whatever happens
subsequently.

The FAA never made any decision like that or changed the requirements for
controllers to verify readbacks.

Old May 6th 05, 01:51 PM
Jose

Class B airspace
requires ATC to tell you that you are cleared into it. So if ATC tells
you 'radar contact location, altimeter xx.xx', you're cleared through
that space where he's controlling

No. As you said, Class B airspace requires ATC to tell you you are
cleared into it. You need to hear "Cleared through the Bravo airspace"
or somesuch.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.