Flat free ground handling wheels

Old January 28th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default Flat free ground handling wheels

I recently tried a pair of Marathon flat free wheelbarrow tires to replace
my pneumatic tires that had developed the habit of slowly leaking out the
air.
@#$%^ The rolling resistance was so great I couldn't move the helicopter by
myself. In fact even with my wife's help it was very hard to get the
helicopter moved on concrete with the flat free tires. Looking at the
contact patch, there was approximately a 3" long contact area. Replacing
the flat free with the pneumatics, I was again able to relatively easily
move the helicopter. Weight of the helicopter was slightly less than the
reported capacity of the flat free tires.
Any suggestions?

Old January 28th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Maxwell

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .
I recently tried a pair of Marathon flat free wheelbarrow tires to replace
my pneumatic tires that had developed the habit of slowly leaking out the
air.
@#$%^ The rolling resistance was so great I couldn't move the helicopter
by myself. In fact even with my wife's help it was very hard to get the
helicopter moved on concrete with the flat free tires. Looking at the
contact patch, there was approximately a 3" long contact area. Replacing
the flat free with the pneumatics, I was again able to relatively easily
move the helicopter. Weight of the helicopter was slightly less than the
reported capacity of the flat free tires.
Any suggestions?

Check with an industrial tire service, fork lifts, bobcats, tractors, etc.
The last time I bought tires for my bobcat, they offered me some kind of
"flat free" filling option. I think it was some kind hard rubber, or hard
rubber foam. The did say it was the equivalent of about a 40 psi fill.

Old January 29th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

By God Kevin your idea may not be the best, but it is certainly the first
time I've heard that one. One problem tho I have to carry those wheels by
hand and at my advancing age, it may exceed my capacity. Would the wheels
weigh more than a 6 pack?

Stu

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:21:11 -0800, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

I recently tried a pair of Marathon flat free wheelbarrow tires to replace
my pneumatic tires that had developed the habit of slowly leaking out the
air.
@#$%^ The rolling resistance was so great I couldn't move the helicopter
by
myself. In fact even with my wife's help it was very hard to get the
helicopter moved on concrete with the flat free tires. Looking at the
contact patch, there was approximately a 3" long contact area. Replacing
the flat free with the pneumatics, I was again able to relatively easily
move the helicopter. Weight of the helicopter was slightly less than the
reported capacity of the flat free tires.
Any suggestions?

Pneumatics filled with concrete.

Old January 30th 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
gk

The wheels for my 269A were aluminum and the tires were inflated to
70psi. The aluminum wheels meant that I could take them along if needed
and if the tires were kept at approximately 70 it was an easy push (on a
level hard surface). An acquaintance of mine had similar tires for his
500 filled with some sort of rigid foam (for tractor tires, I believe).
This gave a airless tire that was about as stiff as the one with 70psi.

Gary

Old January 30th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Beryl[_2_]

"gk" wrote in message

The wheels for my 269A were aluminum and the tires were inflated to 70psi.
The aluminum wheels meant that I could take them along if needed and if
the tires were kept at approximately 70 it was an easy push (on a level
hard surface). An acquaintance of mine had similar tires for his 500
filled with some sort of rigid foam (for tractor tires, I believe). This
gave a airless tire that was about as stiff as the one with 70psi.

Michelin makes foam "tubes" for motorcycles, maybe for other
applications as well. I've heard they're an ordeal to install or remove.
Google "Bib Mousse"
Old January 31st 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

I'll carry the beer if you carry the wheels.
Stu
"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:44:28 -0800, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

By God Kevin your idea may not be the best, but it is certainly the first
time I've heard that one. One problem tho I have to carry those wheels by
hand and at my advancing age, it may exceed my capacity. Would the wheels
weigh more than a 6 pack?

Depends on the 6-pack I guess... I've seen six packs of 44 oz bottle
before... That's 264 fl. oz. Figure if water is 8lbs gallon, beer
(I'm sssuming we're talking beer here) has alcohol in it so let's
guess at 6lbs/gallon for weight. 1 Gallon is 128 fl. oz and we've got
2.0625 gallons of beer. That's 12lbs 6 oz. (12.375 oz for the
decimally inclined) of beer...

So now, I guess it depends on the size of the wheel/tire combo..

Old February 2nd 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Steve R.[_2_]

"Clark" wrote in message
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
:

On 31 Jan 2008 06:24:36 GMT, Clark wrote:

If it's American beer then it's nearly water...

Depends on the American beer. Bud, Coors, Miller etc.. Yeah, pretty
much water..

And the rest of the American beers are poorly disguised soda pop...

Hey, watch it! There's no reason to be insulting soda pop like that.......
;-)

Old February 2nd 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. If I announce a free beer bust, I'll bet the only
questions I hear are Where? The beer brand will be discussed after the mugs
are filled.
Stu
"Steve R." wrote in message
"Clark" wrote in message
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
:

On 31 Jan 2008 06:24:36 GMT, Clark wrote:

If it's American beer then it's nearly water...

Depends on the American beer. Bud, Coors, Miller etc.. Yeah, pretty
much water..

And the rest of the American beers are poorly disguised soda pop...

Hey, watch it! There's no reason to be insulting soda pop like

There I was, flat on my back... Kyle Boatright Home Built 5 August 16th 07 05:34 AM
Flat tire Viperdoc[_4_] Piloting 11 June 4th 07 02:57 PM
Seeking S-H ground handling accessories (V2C) [email protected] Soaring 2 September 14th 06 01:03 AM
Ford Tri-Motor ground handling in FS2004 is ridiculous. Bass Simulators 3 December 19th 04 09:37 PM
NEEDED: Aircraft Ground Handling Information Jarry Clausing Products 0 August 9th 03 03:24 PM