Rotor Emergencies

Old February 29th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Rotor Emergencies

Ever had an actual one? This board is so freakin dead and boring I
left months ago. This is another attempt to revive it.
Any takers?
I've had several actual in flight emergencies in helicopters worldwide
(in addition to the phyxed wing side) and survived them all.
how about yor stories?
Ol S&B
Old February 29th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

How about a recent? I had my ship down for a year for the annual because I
was interrupted by a building extension to the hangar/house. I wasn't
really current and had gone completely thru the rigging, new engine mounts
and a modification to the clutch. With more than a little trepidation, I
fired it up and lifted off only to have the thing shoot skyward like a bat
out of hell turning and going sideways at the same time. I pressed down on
the collective only to have the thing, still turning and sliding sidways,
now dive for the ground. I quickly decided that if it wa headed to the
ground that quick a jerk on the collective was warranted. I could do the
easy pressure only on the up side. Well this went on for a week, so it must
have been a couple of minutes and I slowly gained control of the thing but
the collective seemed overly sensitive. I know that I was rusty but this
was beyond imagination. I managed to get it on the ground and pushed it
into the hangar and started looking closely at the controls. As I raised
the collective I felt a little drag that suddenly went away. The grease in
the slider just above the swash plate had set there for a year so I put
fresh grease in the slider and tried the controls again. This time it felt
smoother. With a tight hold on everything, my Helmet tight I tried it again
being very slow and cautious on left off by just squeezing the collective
and really feeling my way off the ground. Voila! I had my helicopter back
and while I was a bit rusty, I could do clock turns about the point within a
few minutes.
I can unequivocally state that if a helicopter test pilot is constipated,
only oral laxatives should be prescribed as enemas will be impossible.

Old February 29th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
nrg[_2_]

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Nope.... 650+ hours on Bell 206B and never had anything serious for now
(except ENG CHIP, thank God!)
Well as far as we're going about reviving the group here's a question -
The torque limitation on the 206 from 85%-100% is set to 5 minutes. Is this
the total time you're allowed to be in the limit or is it OK if you juast
lower the power in the green and then you're set to go another 5 min.? The
guys at textron haven't been too precise in the manual

Old February 29th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Feb 29, 1:18*pm, "nrg" wrote:
"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in messagenews:kKGdnX49Prlcy1XanZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@iwvis p.com...

[...]

guys at textron haven't been too precise in the manual - Hide quoted text -

I'm not sure about your question. If its in the green? What is the
problem? If you have a torque limit of :05, where is it indicated?
Yellow/Green? If you do not exceed the indicated limits of either
torque or temp more than the manual tells you, what is the problem?
If the aircraft has been flown outside of the limits and you are the
next one to fly it, you don't know if its been abused or flown outside
of limits. That can be scary.
Has been my experience if you fly in the green arc you are good to go
for as long as you have fuel......
Of course that is excepting really stupid ****.......
Old February 29th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

On Feb 29, 1:18 pm, "nrg" wrote:
[...]

I'm curious about the time limit at a torque level. Assuming you haven't
exceeded the elastic limits of the rotorshaft and gears, I don't see where a
time limit makes sense. Unless a combination of rotor caused vibration and
torque loading can affect the fatigue life of the elements. Also if a
rising temperature would be caused thats another story.

BTW to Ol Shy & Bashful, did I ever tell you the story of my helicopter and
I and the field full of buffalos during mating season?

Stu Fields

Old March 2nd 08, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
nrg[_2_]

On Feb 29, 1:18 pm, "nrg" wrote:
[...]

Not shure I explained it right.
The torquemeter has a green arc (no limit) from 0-85%, and a yellow arc from
85-100% where the time limit for this power setting is 5 min. So I think
it's OK to say that this is allowed in the manual.
My question was what happens when you use up the 5 minutes. Do you go back
below 85% and then you can use the yellow area again or do you have to use a
longer cool down period.. Hope this makes my question clearer.

Old March 3rd 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Feb 29, 1:18 pm, "nrg" wrote:
[...]

longer cool down period.. Hope this makes my question clearer.- Hide quoted text -

OK
I think I understand...are you asking if its accumulative? For torque
I can't imagine a "cool down" time so your question is valid. I
suppose its a matter of how long do you torque out before you let off?
And to what extent. I don't recall seeing a time limit on torque
anyway - just for temps. There is a limit on max torque before a
mandatory teardown just as on temp and hot sections.
What is the situation you are facing? Maybe that will make it all more
clear?
Best Regards
Rocky
Old March 3rd 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
JohnO

On Feb 29, 1:18 pm, "nrg" wrote:
[...]

Rocky- Hide quoted text -

Hey, will you guys keep it down? All this talk about helicopters is
keeping me awake!

:-)

PS: Did the Belfort troll go on vacation or did somebody finally take
him out?

Old March 3rd 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
nrg[_2_]

On Feb 29, 1:18 pm, "nrg" wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I finally got the question right and you uderstood it correctly. To be
honest I have never gotten close to the 5 minute limit so the question is
academical. But I think it is always necessary to ask the "What if"
question. The closest I've been to it is formation flying and pinnacle
approaches, more correctly hovering at high altitudes.