Landings Carthage, Jackson and Madison MS - Video

Old July 5th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Landings Carthage, Jackson and Madison MS - Video

Did some short field work over at Carthage (50 foot wide runway by
3000), made a full stop at KJAN and had to taxi to the parallel runway
and of course had to return home.

At Carthage, thermals from the runway made me float more down the
runway then I cared to and it reflected on my landings. Plane just
didn't want to sink despite me coming down final as slow as possible.

Not sure about others, but I do get a tickle out of me getting "more
then one turn" taxi instructions when I land at KJAN. Keep in mind
most of my work is at an uncontrolled airport or airports with a
taxiway that runs parallel with the runway.

Never can understandy why they make the centerline reflectors the size
of mount Everest relative to my tiny nosewheel.

Anyhooo, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSCGKb2ZFw and 8 minutes of
your time will have you endure 4 landings at the above mention
airports.

Allen
Old July 5th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

You are getting a lot of flying in... good for you.. but I tend to chuckle
when you call 3000x50 a short field runway.. or were you just practicing the
technique there.

Just for fun.. look up 0B8, 1935x40, or 7B3, 2100x170. Even the cross wind
runway in AUG is 2700, with cliffs to each end. The airport sits on top of a
hill.
BT

Old July 5th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 5, 12:18*pm, "BT" wrote:
You are getting a lot of flying in... good for you.. but I tend to chuckle
when you call 3000x50 a short field runway.. or were you just practicing the
technique there.

Just for fun.. look up 0B8, 1935x40, or 7B3, 2100x170. Even the cross wind
runway in AUG is 2700, with cliffs to each end. The airport sits on top of a
hill.
BT

Yeah, I figured that somebody would get a chuckle. Short is
"relative" especially to the bird one flies.

Shortest I have done is 2900 however as you can see in the video,
really, distance wasn't that much a factor as I had the plane stopped
well before the halfway point. Temp was nearing 90 and density
altitude was just over 2100 feet which is unusually high down this way
since the field elevation isn't that high. Durn thermals over the
runway kept the plane from landing, just didn't want to stop flying
even with my airspeed at 55 knots over the numbers.

For me, it was more of a practice on the narrow part of the runway as
that was the narrowest runway I have landed on and that seem to be a
little disconcerting on the peripheral vision aspect of landing.

I'd suspect no option of coming up short without getting wet at
0B8 :-))
Old July 5th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article
,
" wrote:

Durn thermals over the
runway kept the plane from landing, just didn't want to stop flying
even with my airspeed at 55 knots over the numbers.

If the airplane is empty, with one on board, re-calculate your speeds
based on the actual aircraft weight, not on the max gross weight book
values, and fly those speeds.

Another trick is to take out one notch of flaps while simultaneously
raising (electric flap and trim motors run at the same speed) the nose
once you have crossed the threshhold and are in the flair.
Old July 5th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 5, 5:14*pm, John Smith wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:

Durn thermals over the

runway kept the plane from landing, just didn't want to stop flying
even with my airspeed at 55 knots over the numbers.

If the airplane is empty, with one on board, re-calculate your speeds
based on the actual aircraft weight, not on the max gross weight book
values, and fly those speeds.

Another trick is to take out one notch of flaps while simultaneously
raising (electric flap and trim motors run at the same speed) the nose
once you have crossed the threshhold and are in the flair.

FOR ME, I don't like changing the airplane configuration while on
short final or in the flare. I fly a BE 23 (Sundowner) and and what
you suggest above would require me to reach for the floor for the flap
handle. Flaps are manual.

Over 50 ft. Obstacle: 1,484 ft. is what I had to deal with since there
were power lines on the approach end of the runway.
Old July 5th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

I have time in Beech A23-34, Piper PA-28's and PA-32's, all with manual
flaps. With manual flaps you ease out one notch while simultaneously
easing in back yoke to maintain pitch attitude.

As I said, you are already past the threshhold and in the flair, the
only thing different you are doing from a normal landing is reducing
flaps one notch.
Old July 6th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On Jul 6, 4:50*am, " wrote:
[...]

At least one turn onto final was a bit steep. I was taugh that circuit
turns should be no more than 30 degrees. Your last short field looked
a bit fast -hence the float? I've not flown a sundowder but your nose
never seems to get above the end of the runway -is that because the
trim with flaps down is very level?

Cheers
Old July 6th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 5, 6:47*pm, More_Flaps wrote:

At least one turn onto final was a bit steep. I was taugh that circuit
turns should be no more than 30 degrees. *

Assuming the last landing at KMBO you are talking about, yeah, I think
you are right, I kinda overshot final and the turn was a bit over 30
degree bank. In the video, I figure if the horizon hits the upper
corner it would be a 45 degree bank?

Your last short field looked

a bit fast -hence the float? I've not flown a sundowder but your nose
never seems to get above the end of the runway -is that because the
trim with flaps down is very level?

Couple of thoughts. First the camera is wedge on the glareshield as
close as to the windscreen I can get it. I have a binder that I put
behind the camera so it doesn't shift. The camera tilts slightly down
due to the slope of the glareshield which makes me think this is the
reason why the nose never gets above the end of the runway. Clearly
in some of the videos, you hear the mains touch and then the nose.

Regarding the speed, two thoughts as I really thought I held final
approach right at 55 knots. One thought is that the narrow runway I
think makes it feel like you are coming in faster. Second, even
though I was doing 55 knots, with the near 90F temps, density altitude
was 2000 which I believe would make my ground speed faster????

The Sundowner, when you deploy flaps, pitches the nose down, so to
conteract that, I trim pretty aggressive so my airspeed doesn't
build. Big ole stabilator on the tail feather does wonder!
Old July 6th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 5, 5:39*pm, B A R R Y wrote:

Since I have the same plane, the thought that crossed my mind involved
accidentally dumping all the flaps. *8^(

For the kind of flying I do, I absolutely agree with you. Sundowner
just "ain't a Cub" and I don't have that burning desire to shoe horn a
landing on a short runway.

When practicing stall recovery, I have accidentally dumped all the flaps
when trying to pull 'em in a notch. *It's not something I'd want to do @
50 ft. AGL while doing everything else that goes with that point in the
landing.

Same happened to me, and crossing the numbers, my right hand never
leaves the throttle. For me, it's too distracting to reach down, set
flaps and then reach back for the throttle.

Yeah, I know what John sez can be done, and probably done safely, but
I like the KISS method and have a stable approach from final to terra
firma with one setting and one setting only whether it be an ILS with
one notch of flaps or a VFR approach with three. Xwinds, depending on
the winds, if it's gusty or above 10 knots, one notch of flaps.