Landings Carthage, Jackson and Madison MS - Video

Old July 6th 08, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Landings Carthage, Jackson and Madison MS - Video

John Smith wrote:
I have time in Beech A23-34, Piper PA-28's and PA-32's, all with manual
flaps. With manual flaps you ease out one notch while simultaneously
easing in back yoke to maintain pitch attitude.

I know that. G During a stall recovery, the same procedure is
followed as the airspeed rises. If all is going well, the bar drops
only to the next notch.

You've NEVER had the bar slip past the next (or all the way to the
floor) notches? You know, your finger has a touch of pressure on the
button?

I've had it happen on my Sundowner and in several PA-28's.
Old July 6th 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-07-06, B A R R Y wrote:
You've NEVER had the bar slip past the next (or all the way to the
floor) notches? You know, your finger has a touch of pressure on the
button?

This happened to me on my Archer checkout with the club's chief pilot as
CFI. I just pulled the first notch back in while holding pitch attitude, and
wiped away the sudden sweat. Keep flying the airplane, and it'll be fine.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old July 6th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

On 2008-07-06, B A R R Y wrote:
You've NEVER had the bar slip past the next (or all the way to the
floor) notches? You know, your finger has a touch of pressure on the
button?

Why are you keeping the button depressed?
Keeping the button depressed does nothing after releasing the catch
except preventing the catch from re-engaging at a stop.
Press and release.
Move your thumb off the button and place it atop to your index finger.
Old July 6th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 6, 10:45*am, John Smith wrote:

Why are you keeping the button depressed?
Keeping the button depressed does nothing after releasing the catch
except preventing the catch from re-engaging at a stop.
Press and release.
Move your thumb off the button and place it atop to your index finger.

Not true for my Sundowner. If I press the button to reduce flaps AND
release it, the bar goes to the floor. I have to put pressure on that
button to feel the catch for the next notch on the way down to the
floor.

Opposite is true for deploying flaps. I don't have to push the button
raising the johnson bar, it clicks to the next stop. Not the same
going down.
Old July 6th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

On 2008-07-06, B A R R Y wrote:
You've NEVER had the bar slip past the next (or all the way to the
floor) notches? You know, your finger has a touch of pressure on the
button?

This happened to me on my Archer checkout with the club's chief pilot as
CFI. I just pulled the first notch back in while holding pitch attitude, and
wiped away the sudden sweat. Keep flying the airplane, and it'll be fine.

Were you crossing the threshold @ 40 AGL and seconds from a landing?

I agree it's not such a big deal at altitude. Personally, I want to
avoid leaning over to grab the bar at the moment I mentioned above.

Thursday afternoon, I landed in a varying 45 to 60 degree crosswind 15
gusting to 27. With my luck, that would be the day I drop the bar. 8^(
Old July 6th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

John Smith wrote:

Press and release.
Move your thumb off the button and place it atop to your index finger.

I agree. It's an accident that has occasionally happened to me in
rougher air.
Old July 6th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-07-06, B A R R Y wrote:
You've NEVER had the bar slip past the next (or all the way to the
floor) notches? You know, your finger has a touch of pressure on the
button?

This happened to me on my Archer checkout with the club's chief pilot as
CFI. I just pulled the first notch back in while holding pitch attitude, and
wiped away the sudden sweat. Keep flying the airplane, and it'll be fine.

Were you crossing the threshold @ 40 AGL and seconds from a landing?

No, I'd just started a go-around at not a lot higher, and a bit further down
the runway.

Thursday afternoon, I landed in a varying 45 to 60 degree crosswind 15
gusting to 27. With my luck, that would be the day I drop the bar. 8^(

I do have to admit I feel a lot more comfortable with an electric flap
system.
Old July 6th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On 2008-07-06, B A R R Y wrote:
You've NEVER had the bar slip past the next (or all the way to the
floor) notches? *You know, your finger has a touch of pressure on the
button?

This happened to me on my Archer checkout with the club's chief pilot as
CFI. I just pulled the first notch back in while holding pitch attitude, and
wiped away the sudden sweat. Keep flying the airplane, and it'll be fine.

Were you crossing the threshold @ 40 AGL and seconds from a landing?

I agree it's not such a big deal at altitude. *Personally, I want to
avoid leaning over to grab the bar at the moment I mentioned above.

Thursday afternoon, I landed in a varying 45 to 60 degree crosswind 15
gusting to 27. *With my luck, that would be the day I drop the bar. 8^(

Try doing a flapless for more control in a strong xwind?

Cheers
Old July 6th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On Jul 7, 8:22*am, Clark wrote:
More_Flaps wrote in news:1d23a864-9d7f-4d01-ac12-
:

On Jul 7, 4:38*am, B A R R Y wrote:
Jay Maynard wrote:
On 2008-07-06, B A R R Y wrote:
[...]

Hmmmm, other points of view:

I don't see that idea contradicted in that article -just discussion of
correct x-wind aeleron technique and nailing speeds. Having minimum or
no flaps (1) reduces ground effect (2) greatly reduce the risk of
upwind wing lifting (3) allows landing a slightly higher air speed
which will reduce the x-wind component and (4) a slightly higher
landing speed allows more rudder authority -so better control. All
these factors help in a strong x-wind and that is what I was told by
all my CFI's and it agrees with my experiences so far... Flaps are
not required for landing any plane that I'm aware of -they help energy
management but a pilot should be able to make a flapless landing just
as good as as a full flap landing -with a slightly longer ground roll
of course.

Where is this wrong?

Cheers
Old July 7th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 6, 4:41*pm, More_Flaps wrote:

all my CFI's and it agrees with my experiences so far... *Flaps are
not required for landing any plane that I'm aware of -they help energy
management but a pilot should be able to make a flapless landing just
as good as as a full flap landing -with a slightly longer ground roll
of course.

Where is this wrong?

The above is exactly my experience. My take is that the less I have
hanging out the plane (flaps), the more streamline and wind resistant
I am.

Main reason of course the higher ground roll is due to the higher
stall speed sans flaps.

Even with my level of experience (about 850 hours), I wouldn't do any
high Xwinds landings at Carthage. I'd just go select a more wind
favorable airport and land there or not launch at all.