Question - CinC and UCMJ

Old June 26th 04, 07:39 PM
WaltBJ

Default Question - CinC and UCMJ

Is the Commander in Chief subject to the UCMJ when dealing with
military matters? An inquiring mind (me) wants to know.
Walt BJ
Old June 26th 04, 08:22 PM
Jim Baker

No. He's a civilian.

JB

om...

Old June 26th 04, 09:07 PM
WalterM140

Is the Commander in Chief subject to the UCMJ when dealing with
military matters? An inquiring mind (me) wants to know.
Walt BJ

Who would convene proceedings on him?

The way the framers dealt with misconduct in the executive was by including the
imeachment process.

Of course the framers never thought the Congress would be so lame or partisan
as the one we have right now.

Walt
Old June 26th 04, 09:48 PM
Thomas Schoene

WaltBJ wrote:
Is the Commander in Chief subject to the UCMJ when dealing with
military matters? An inquiring mind (me) wants to know.

No, he is not. While the President is the commander-in-chief, he is not
actually a member of the armed forces. The UCMJ lays out explicitly who is
actually subject to its provisions, and the President does not fit:

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...cmjsubject.htm.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Old June 27th 04, 10:56 AM
Cub Driver

Is the Commander in Chief subject to the UCMJ when dealing with
military matters? An inquiring mind (me) wants to know.

I don't think that a sitting president is subject to any law for acts
related to his presidential powers. That's what we have impeacment
for. (And it's why, when Nixon resigned, Gerry Ford gave him a blanket
pardon, so he wouldn't face criminal prosecution for Watergate--or
anything else, for that matter.)

Obviously there are limits. Clinton was disbarred by the Arkansas bar
association for lying under oath, even though the impeachment trial on
this matter failed in the Senate. But the bar association wasn't
imposing criminal sanctions, just withdrawing a permission it had
accorded him some years earlier.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum