Jon Johanson stranded in Antartica....

Old December 18th 03, 07:22 AM
Del Rawlins

On 17 Dec 2003 03:18 PM, RR Urban posted the following:

(Robert Bonomi) wrote:

majority snipped for brevity

The 'far frontiers' *ARE* an "attractive nuisance". They draw the
kooks, loonies, and glory-seekers like a magnet. *WITHOUT*
considering whether Mr. Johanson fits that description, It *is* a fact
that "helping" him return from his botched 'adventure' *WOULD* cause
those who _do_ fit the "kooks, loonies, and glory-seekers"
categorization to be more likely to make their own *ill-prepared*
attempts. Resulting in _bigger_ drains on the *limited* resources
available.

It appears....
There are two very polorized groups here.
Neither will be swayed.

Both are right. He took off without covering all the angles, and the
NSF are a bunch of assholes, plain and simple. All's well that ends
well, I guess.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old December 18th 03, 01:29 PM
Larry Smith

"pacplyer" wrote in message
om...
nafod40 wrote

Packie, the operative words are "arctic" and "antarctic." Can't I learn
you nothin?

So far, not a soul has spelled these words correctly.

Old December 18th 03, 01:40 PM
Larry Smith

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Big John" wrote in message
To give closure.

OBE as one of my old bosses used to say.

Big John

???

Who GAS?

Old December 18th 03, 01:46 PM
nafod40

Robert Bonomi wrote:
If the farmer is smart, he'll sell it to him for ten times what he paid
to get it to his farm/polar ice cap, and then go back and buy a ten
year's supply of gas.

Postulate it's 'planting time', his next delivery is in 5 days, and he
has just enough 'on hand' to fuel his tractors till the scheduled delivery.
Supplying the pilot would idle a tractor for a day. That can translate
to _tens_of_thousands_ of dollars of lost revenue at harvest.

At $500/gal. one might be approaching the 'opportunity cost' of selling
that fuel to the plane owner.

Still think he's "smart" to sell the fuel at 'only' 10x cost?

Yes. They can ship down a new batch in the next plane, the next day.

I think they should have left him alone in the fuel shed with a 10
gallon for a few hours while they ate a long lunch. But that's me.

Old December 18th 03, 01:50 PM
Snowbird

RR Urban wrote in message . ..
(Robert Bonomi) wrote:
majority snipped for brevity
The 'far frontiers' *ARE* an "attractive nuisance". They draw the kooks,
loonies, and glory-seekers like a magnet. *WITHOUT* considering whether
Mr. Johanson fits that description, It *is* a fact that "helping" him
return from his botched 'adventure' *WOULD* cause those who _do_ fit the
"kooks, loonies, and glory-seekers" categorization to be more likely to
make their own *ill-prepared* attempts. Resulting in _bigger_ drains on
the *limited* resources available.

It appears....
There are two very polorized groups here.
Neither will be swayed.
At best, you are preaching to the choir.

Does have me wondering how the same bunch would vote on
Scott vs. Amundsen. The latter exemplified good preparation,
good leadership (made one turnback decision when wx too bad),
and good planning. The former planned for unfeasible, untested
transportation and inadequate, inadequately marked caches. He
pressed on beyond the limits of his supplies and failed to take
into account known problems, thus killing himself and everyone
with him.

At the time, Scott was almost deified as a hero, and Amundsen
almost vilified.

So...here we have a lady who planned ahead and had fuel cached,
then who scratched a flight and turned back when it became
obvious she couldn't make it to her planned fuel stop. Good
planning, pre-flight and enroute. Willing to make the hard
calls.

Then we have a chap who didn't plan ahead and had fuel cached,
and who at some point enroute made a decision to press on
rather than turn back and land somewhere he hadn't made prior
arrangements for fueling. Not willing to make the hard calls,
then expecting others to bail him out from his own failed
planning.

Naturally he must be a hero.

Sydney (Amundsen fan)
Old December 18th 03, 02:56 PM
Corky Scott

(Robert Bonomi) wrote:

[...]

Plus, I'm not sure everyone understands just how difficult it is to
plan for global flights. Jon's is using an RV-4. In many countries,
stating what type airplane this is doesn't compute. It causes
enormous bureaucratic hassles whenever he touches down in a foreign
country because they don't know how to classify the airplane. His
trips literally can take years to plan, and then his clearance to
overfly a country's airspace may be canceled at a whim. And that's
without taking the weather into consideration.

His biggest problem during his flights isn't the weather, it's the
bureaucracy of the countries upon which he must rely when he lands.
When he was returning to Australia for the first trip, he landed in
India and almost didn't get out of there. He hadn't done anything
wrong, other than land there, it's just that India has taken
bureaucracy to stratospheric levels. It's probably what they do best.
And this was WITH clearance ahead of time.

Corky Scott
Old December 18th 03, 05:25 PM
John Ousterhout

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:23:19 -0600, RR Urban wrote:

Sydney dear,

You and Stella have every right to be super
proud of women aviators, especially in the
wake of this Jon Johanson fiasco.

Too many times, including now...
You gals get the short end of the stick.

May I apologize for the chauvinistic
behavior that might be attributed to me
or my chauvinistic buddies.

Kudos to Polly...
for saving a dumb ass and GA
from further embarassment.

Barnyard BOb --

Who are you?

and what have you done with Bob?

- J.O.-

Old December 18th 03, 07:18 PM
TJ

Stealth Pilot wrote:

you really are a typical yank.

And you are a typical Aussie. Of the two, I much prefer Yanks.

Old December 18th 03, 08:02 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
(StellaStar) wrote:

heard from Jarvis that Jon got out of there by getting fuel from an
English woman

No problem. A girl bailed him out, very graciously. She's a 99. The Flyin
Wimmen will come through for you!

Here's the latest on her...and I rather wonder why we don't hear much about
her
project.

http://www.worldwings.org/

Hats off to the 99s! The Flying Fickle Finger of Fate to the NSF! As
an American, I am embarrassed thet the NSF showed such callousness and
bureaucratic intransigence (worthy of the French) in this situation.

I suggest that we transfer ownership of the entire NSF to France.