Grob 103 seals

Old March 12th 15, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Grob 103 seals

Our club has a Grob that needs the Mylar replaced. Does or should the Grob 103 have internal Teflon tape seals in addition to the standard Mylar and safety tape? Any other tips for this process? Or anything else we should consider doing while we are in there? Thanks!
Old March 12th 15, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

My Nimbus-3 was identical to Dale Bushes Nimbus-3 and we both had only internal seals. On an annual inspection, I noticed my internal seals were deteriorating and I was able to pull them out through the gap. I then installed external Mylar seals only. My ship remained identical in both climb and cruise to Dale Bushes. From then on, I stopped installing internal seals. My conclusion is that properly installed Mylar seals top and bottom are all that is needed to stop cross-flow and it is one hell of a lot easier! Not putting internal seals on the ship I'm finishing up right now.
JJ
Old March 12th 15, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bengt Aronsson

There is a Service Letter at Grob's TC holder LTB Lindner that
describes the sealings, http://www.ltb-lindner.com/service-
letter.html?file=tl_files/ltb_lindner/pdf/technische%20Infos/SL-
12%20Installation%20of%20control%20surface%20seals .pdf

// Bengt Aronsson

=

Old March 13th 15, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Wow! Great info! Thanks guys
Old March 15th 15, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My reading of the TN indicated that if you want to comply with the TN you need a positive air seal on the hinge side so mylar seals will also need a sealing tape attached to both the control and the fixed surface beneath the mylar on the hinge side. For our club Grobs we decided to use the Tesa fabric tape on the hinge side and nothing else because the shop that does our annuals insists on lubricating the hinges every year. This means the seal has to come off every year and I'm not about to spend the time energy and money to redo a full set of tape, double sided tape, mylar and teflon tape seals every year. Our experience was that simple mylar top and bottom worked fine but when the TC holder issues a TN regarding approved seals that includes the phrase "to prevent flutter"...

Grob 103 Twin II Acro Canopy Seals AGL Soaring 2 September 23rd 10 02:46 AM
VG's & Gap seals.. Pirep Dave Piloting 2 December 26th 06 05:15 AM
Streifeneder GFS seals Catherine Conway Soaring 0 September 30th 04 04:08 AM
mylar seals D.A.L Soaring 1 February 23rd 04 07:15 PM
New ear seals Chris Owning 7 December 16th 03 01:02 AM