Flarm IGC files on non-IGC certified Flarm?

Old March 10th 15, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Movses

Default Flarm IGC files on non-IGC certified Flarm?

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 2:55:07 PM UTC-7, wrote:
You must not be using the USB stick at the end of each flight.
I think the key is that you must shut off the FLARM, then insert the USB memory stick, then turn the FLARM back on and it downloads the just flown flight log. I flew with my PowerFLarm for the first time last summer, did this action, and every log was transfered to the USB memory stick and I posted them that evening on OLC.

The answers to this is pretty much all previous questions is yes...
To my best knowledge:

- configuration file is uploaded
- usb stick in, then power on, monitor led, power off when done.
- not sure on firmware, will give this another try when I get to the airport next time.

Sigh.. I'm a software engineer, I'm usually the one who's good with this stuff
Old March 10th 15, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 23:41:34 -0700, Movses wrote:

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 2:55:07 PM UTC-7, wrote:
You must not be using the USB stick at the end of each flight.
I think the key is that you must shut off the FLARM, then insert the
USB memory stick, then turn the FLARM back on and it downloads the just
flown flight log. I flew with my PowerFLarm for the first time last
summer, did this action, and every log was transfered to the USB memory
stick and I posted them that evening on OLC.

A standard FLARM typically holds up to the last ten flight logs in its
internal memory. If its an LX RedBox FLARM, when you put the SD card in
and turn it on, ALL the logs that aren't already recorded on the card are
written to it. The red LED flashes while its doing this. Its quite slow,
taking noticeably more time to write several logs than just one.

Since all FLARMs run the same software, they should all do the same. I'd
be surprised if the PowerFLARM doesn't do it too.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 10th 15, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

What display do you use and is its firmware the latest?

Post your flarmcfg.txt file here - it may explain the problem (or email it to me).

You haven't answered what firmware for your CORE you're running.

You haven't answered what size USB drive you're using, nor confirmed it's USB 2.0, nor what it is formatted as.

Have you tried downloading with someone else's USB drive, which is confirmed to work?

Old March 10th 15, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

As an uninterested party, I've got to ask: How is this update
information requirement disseminated?

The reason I ask is that, two days ago, someone at Moriarty told me that
he had to figure out why his Flarm didn't work. I told him that I'd
seen on RAS that there's a mandatory update required. I would have
thought all owners would have been notified.

Old March 10th 15, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 11:13:35 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
As an uninterested party, I've got to ask:* How is this update
information requirement disseminated?

The reason I ask is that, two days ago, someone at Moriarty told me
that he had to figure out why his Flarm didn't work.* I told him
that I'd seen on RAS that there's a mandatory update required.* I
would have thought all owners would have been notified.

I was notified through the PowerFLARM newsletter, by e-mail, Feb 2nd at 4:34PM. If he's not on the list for the newsletter, he can sign up through a link on: http://www.powerflarm.aero/index.php...ge-and-support ; there is also a notification on that page of the mandatory update, and links to the latest firmware (so far, no update is there - but I live in hope). There is also a link to the latest Butterfly Display software (therefore, a good page to bookmark).

In the manual, page 23, it says there is a mandatory update as of 31 March 2015.

I read somewhere they recommend reinserting the firmware annually, but for the life of me, cannot find where it says that.

2D

Old March 10th 15, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Movses,

I suspect that the USB flash drive is not compatible for some reason.
Perhaps it is formatted using FAT instead of FAT32 or vice versa. Or
perhaps it is too large in regard to capacity. What is the capacity of the
USB flash drive?

It is my understanding that the PowerFLARM Core and Core Pure units will
always log a flight that is accepted by the OLC. The IGC enable and a
calibration make them valid for badges and most records.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
____________________________________

Old March 10th 15, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Movses

Thanks everybody for replies;

this confirms that at least, I have the correct understanding of the process.

I'll recheck everything when I get to the ship next time and follow up.

Movses

Old March 10th 15, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_2_]

At 17:46 10 March 2015, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Movses,

I suspect that the USB flash drive is not compatible for some reason.
Perhaps it is formatted using FAT instead of FAT32 or vice versa. Or
perhaps it is too large in regard to capacity. What is the capacity of

the

USB flash drive?

It is my understanding that the PowerFLARM Core and Core Pure units will
always log a flight that is accepted by the OLC. The IGC enable and a
calibration make them valid for badges and most records.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
____________________________________

Badges up to Diamond, but not IGC Records.

Old March 10th 15, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

USB sticks should:
· be formatted with FAT (FAT16 or FAT32) file system (NTFS or
exFAT will not work)
· have capacity = 32GB
· Be of USB 2.0 type (not USB 3.0; USB 3.0 connectors are typically
blue on the inside).

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old March 11th 15, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Tim,

Can it be used for U.S. state records?

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

"Tim Newport-Peace" wrote in message

At 17:46 10 March 2015, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Movses,

I suspect that the USB flash drive is not compatible for some reason.
Perhaps it is formatted using FAT instead of FAT32 or vice versa. Or
perhaps it is too large in regard to capacity. What is the capacity of

the

USB flash drive?

It is my understanding that the PowerFLARM Core and Core Pure units will
always log a flight that is accepted by the OLC. The IGC enable and a
calibration make them valid for badges and most records.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Badges up to Diamond, but not IGC Records.

Flarm to MIO 400 [email protected] Soaring 1 January 23rd 15 06:05 PM
IGC Flight Recorders using Flarm firmware - New DLL file forvalidating IGC flight data files Ian Strachan Soaring 0 July 20th 14 07:28 PM
FLARM IGC files: erasable? [email protected][_2_] Soaring 5 May 20th 13 07:46 PM
FLARM for SAR FLARM Soaring 57 November 21st 12 07:21 PM
FLARM Robert Hart Soaring 50 March 16th 06 11:20 PM