Space Ship One Launch

Old June 22nd 04, 01:43 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
news:5YQBc.7235$5t2.7155@fed1read01...
"Jim Thomas" wrote in message
m...
I noted from the TV news reports that Mr. Melville was wearing only a
flight suit and an oxygen mask (no full or partial pressure suit).
Does anyone know whether the cockpit was pressurized? If not (and even
if so) this was pretty risky.

Jim Thomas

Burt Rutan made reference to a "shirt sleeve" environment in the
cockpit...so I guess it was pressurized.

If he went any higher than about 55,000 feet is was.

Old June 22nd 04, 02:39 PM
Jim Yanik

"Neil Gerace" wrote in
:

"Jim Atkins" wrote in message
SS1 landed first- WK did a flyby and a nice break over the runway before
landing about 10 minutes later.

Any report of this flight on the net?

and, what kind of aircraft is the White Knight?

Custom made,composite airframe(I believe),two jet engines.One of a kind.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Old June 22nd 04, 02:44 PM
Neil Gerace

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
"Neil Gerace" wrote in
:

"Jim Atkins" wrote in message
SS1 landed first- WK did a flyby and a nice break over the runway

before
landing about 10 minutes later.

Any report of this flight on the net?

and, what kind of aircraft is the White Knight?

Custom made,composite airframe(I believe),two jet engines.One of a kind.

Thanks heh, I just saw the pictures from the BBC.

Old June 22nd 04, 02:49 PM
Allen Epps

In article , Jim Yanik
wrote:

"Neil Gerace" wrote in
:

"Jim Atkins" wrote in message
SS1 landed first- WK did a flyby and a nice break over the runway before
landing about 10 minutes later.

Any report of this flight on the net?

and, what kind of aircraft is the White Knight?

Custom made,composite airframe(I believe),two jet engines.One of a kind.

Take a look at www.scaled.com for photo's. No one will ever accuse Burt
of being an in-the-box thinker.
Pugs
Old June 22nd 04, 04:07 PM
Tony Cox

"Pete" wrote in message

"Jim Atkins" wrote in message
Glenn and Shepard in the sense of seeing a real first-

Let's not forget Yuri in there.

And don't forget Leika, who probably had as much
say in the matter as Yuri. Even though she had twice
the number of legs, she had only a one-way ticket poor
thing.

Old June 22nd 04, 04:44 PM
John Shelton

Just that the comparison of John Glenn and Alan Shepard wasn't really
analogous to Melvil's flight. Melvil actually flew the thing and landed it.
Therefore, it was more like the X-15 pilots than the Mercury astronauts or
the cosmonauts. (usual disclaimer here about everyone being brave, etc.)

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"John Shelton" wrote in message
ink.net...

Nice write up. A correction: Not Glenn and Shephard.

What correction? Not Glenn and Shepard for what?

Old June 22nd 04, 05:44 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jim Thomas wrote:

I noted from the TV news reports that Mr. Melville was wearing only a
flight suit and an oxygen mask (no full or partial pressure suit).
Does anyone know whether the cockpit was pressurized? If not (and even
if so) this was pretty risky.

If he wasn't in a pressure suit, the cabin had to have been pressurized or he would
not have been able to survive.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old June 22nd 04, 06:05 PM
Casey Wilson

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Jim Thomas wrote:

I noted from the TV news reports that Mr. Melville was wearing only a
flight suit and an oxygen mask (no full or partial pressure suit).
Does anyone know whether the cockpit was pressurized? If not (and even
if so) this was pretty risky.

If he wasn't in a pressure suit, the cabin had to have been pressurized or

he would
not have been able to survive.

During the post event news conference, I asked those questions. Mr.
Melvill's responses we no, he does not wear anything other than flight
suit, helmet, and parachute; yes, the cabin is pressurized [to 14 psi]; it
is tested at 34 psi for a number of hours; the only leaks are at control
interfaces and they are tiny; one pre-launch check item is cracking open a
valve from an air-bottle to trickle air into the cabin. He said the dual
pane windows and tight fit of the door are excellent and he does not
consider depressurization a risk to consider.

Old June 22nd 04, 06:09 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message

During the post event news conference, I asked those questions. Mr.
Melvill's responses we no, he does not wear anything other than flight
suit, helmet, and parachute; yes, the cabin is pressurized [to 14 psi]; it
is tested at 34 psi for a number of hours; the only leaks are at control
interfaces and they are tiny; one pre-launch check item is cracking open a
valve from an air-bottle to trickle air into the cabin. He said the dual
pane windows and tight fit of the door are excellent and he does not
consider depressurization a risk to consider.

Yeah, and a DC-10 can't lose all it's hydraulics.

Old June 22nd 04, 07:33 PM
Jim Yanik

Allen Epps wrote in
:

In article , Jim Yanik
wrote:

"Neil Gerace" wrote in
:

"Jim Atkins" wrote in message
SS1 landed first- WK did a flyby and a nice break over the runway
before landing about 10 minutes later.

Any report of this flight on the net?

and, what kind of aircraft is the White Knight?

Custom made,composite airframe(I believe),two jet engines.One of a
kind.

Take a look at www.scaled.com for photo's. No one will ever accuse
Burt of being an in-the-box thinker.
Pugs

Well,it(the "white Knight") does follow the style of the P-38 and that
cargo plane I only remember as the "flying boxcar".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Hubble plug to be pulled John Carrier Military Aviation 33 March 19th 04 04:19 AM
THOMAS MOORER, EX-JOINT CHIEFS CHAIR DIES Ewe n0 who Military Aviation 2 February 12th 04 12:52 AM
OT (sorta): Bush Will Announce New Space Missions Dav1936531 Military Aviation 0 January 9th 04 10:34 AM
Strategic Command Missions Rely on Space Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 30th 03 09:59 PM