Space Ship One Launch

Old June 23rd 04, 05:16 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Stop SPAM" wrote in message

Do you have a cite for the article, please?

No, I don't. It was a few years ago and I don't remember the source.

As I recall, there was an Italian physician who was a space buff and
monitored satellite transmissions. He claimed he heard a human heartbeat
aboard. The story had it that the Russians had a problem bringing the craft
down at the appointed time, and when they corrected the problem it was out
of position for a landing in the USSR. Before it was again in a suitable
position the cosmonaut died. This was supposedly the first man in space.

The second flight was flown by the son of a famous Russian aero designer, I
do not recall which. More problems in the return from orbit left him very
severely injured.

Then came Yuri Gagarin, his flight went according to plan and it was
announced as the first human spaceflight afterward.

I'm not saying it happened this way, of course, but it is plausible. After
all, the Russians didn't announce their flights beforehand, and there's no
reason to keep them secret if you intend to announce your failures anyway.

Old June 23rd 04, 07:04 AM
Brian Burger

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Stop SPAM" wrote in message

Do you have a cite for the article, please?

No, I don't. It was a few years ago and I don't remember the source.

The "Phantom Cosmonauts/Astronauts", so-called. Discussed, and largely
explained/debunked, he http://www.astronautix.com/astrogrp/phanauts.htm

The Judica-Cordiglia brothers (the Italians in question) have a website
devoted to them he http://www.lostcosmonauts.com/

.... and are debunked fairly convincingly he
http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/trackind/Torre/TorreB.html

Interesting stuff, anyway, even if it is mostly nonsense. The Soviets
*did* hide a lot of stuff away from public scrutiny in the early days.
(NASA probably wished it could do the same thing, some days early in the
space race!)

Brian

Old June 23rd 04, 10:40 AM
Paul Sengupta

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
news
The second flight was flown by the son of a famous Russian aero designer,

do not recall which. More problems in the return from orbit left him very
severely injured.

Vladimir Ilyushin. The story does that the craft was only supposed to make
one orbit before re-entry. Soemthing went wrong and he ended up doing
three orbits before landing in China.

The "story" was that he was badly injured and spent months in a Chinese
hospital, the craft having come down in China. The unofficial (though it's
all unofficial) story was that he wasn't badly injured at all.
Russian/Chinese
relations weren't the best at the time and it's said he spent the months
(6 months? More?) in a Chinese prison.

Then came Yuri Gagarin, his flight went according to plan and it was
announced as the first human spaceflight afterward.

I'm not saying it happened this way, of course, but it is plausible.

After
all, the Russians didn't announce their flights beforehand, and there's no
reason to keep them secret if you intend to announce your failures anyway.

Paul

Old June 28th 04, 10:34 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article
,
"Neil Gerace" wrote:

"Jim Atkins" wrote in message
SS1 landed first- WK did a flyby and a nice break over the runway before
landing about 10 minutes later.

Any report of this flight on the net?

Only from every newspaper on the planet with a web site.

and, what kind of aircraft is the White Knight?

It's a Rutan "White Knight", I guess. A one of a kind, developed
specially for this purpose. Presumably it benefitted from earlier
experience with Proteus, though it is configured entirely differently.

It was a great event to see, even if I had to take 12 hour flight across
the Pacific and back -- and sleep in the XCOR hangar -- in order to be
there.

-- Bruce

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Hubble plug to be pulled John Carrier Military Aviation 33 March 19th 04 04:19 AM
THOMAS MOORER, EX-JOINT CHIEFS CHAIR DIES Ewe n0 who Military Aviation 2 February 12th 04 12:52 AM
OT (sorta): Bush Will Announce New Space Missions Dav1936531 Military Aviation 0 January 9th 04 10:34 AM
Strategic Command Missions Rely on Space Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 30th 03 09:59 PM