EU Bomber Speculation?

Old June 24th 04, 08:36 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , BUFDRVR
writes
Neil Gerace wrote:
I dunno; that plane flying KAL007 that day needed two SAMs to down it.

Those weren't *SAMs*, they were Air-to-air missiles and generally much, much
smaller. Anyone know which missile type brought down KAL007? Atoll?

Anabs, since it was a Su-15.

--
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
Julius Caesar I:2

Old June 24th 04, 11:50 PM
Krztalizer

Su-15 is armed with 2 AA-3 Anab missiles and 2 AA-8 Aphid.
AA-3 was used.
It's a very large weapon, dedicated bomber killer.

And the pilots were typically hard-nosed, dedicated airmen. The Flagon pilots
pressed hard against us - they were not intimidated in the least in these open
ocean contests. I have a pretty clear memory (and the photos help) of an Su 15
coming in about 30 degrees off our nose with about 600 mph closure. His wake
turbulance felt like that earthquake that we had here last week. Our mission
put us in front of various Soviet aircraft - Tu-16s, 95s, Su-15s, Be-8, An-38,
MiG-23, Mi-8, Mi-24, etc. - along the Kurilski Ostrovka. The Su-15s were up by
Petro and on Ostrov Sakhalin; the MiG-23s were on the smaller islands, Mi-24s
from Frontal Aviation and Border Troops; all of them came out from the mainland
to show their displeasure at our continued existance. When the Sakhalin-based
Sukhoi showed up and made high speed passes around us, I felt like we truly
were in mortal danger, that the probability of a shootdown had switched from
"possible" to "imminent". Shove the raft bag toward the door, call the
position of the jet as it swings behind us so the pilots can manuever sideways
away from the Sukhoi's approach. Still two Hinds above us - the pilots and I
were working together to keep all three in sight and NOT directly behind us;
one of the most interesting half hours of my career. LT Arvonen was a natural
in that environment. Hopefully, he is out of the Navy and having fun by now.

Sukhois out of Sakhalin? Don't mess with them. Old or not, they were all
business.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Its always better to lose -an- engine, not -the- engine.

Old June 25th 04, 06:04 AM
Neil Gerace

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
Neil Gerace wrote:

I dunno; that plane flying KAL007 that day needed two SAMs to down it.

Those weren't *SAMs*, they were Air-to-air missiles and generally much,

much
smaller. Anyone know which missile type brought down KAL007? Atoll?

Of course you're right, heh. But nevertheless, there were two of them. One
wasn't enough.

Old June 25th 04, 02:33 PM
Rob van Riel

"Neil Gerace" wrote in message ...
Of course you're right, heh. But nevertheless, there were two of them. One
wasn't enough.

Not necessarily (although I don't have enough details to be certain).
If I recall correctly, standard doctrine was to fire both an IR and a
radar missile at any given target, to insure at least on hit. The
communications transcript I have shows the pilot firing both missiles
at the same time. Whether this was due to the mentioned doctrine, or
to a hunch/calculations that a single missile would be insufficient, I
don't know.

Rob
Old June 25th 04, 03:41 PM
Neil Gerace

"Rob van Riel" wrote in message
om...

Not necessarily (although I don't have enough details to be certain).
If I recall correctly, standard doctrine was to fire both an IR and a
radar missile at any given target, to insure at least on hit. The
communications transcript I have shows the pilot firing both missiles
at the same time. Whether this was due to the mentioned doctrine, or
to a hunch/calculations that a single missile would be insufficient, I
don't know.

IIRC the plane wasn't disabled until the second one hit.

Old June 27th 04, 04:47 PM
David Nicholls

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Eunometic" wrote in message
om...

What seems to give the B52 a great deal of protection is that it can
fly so very high. Only the largest of SAMS can reach that height. IE
SA6/Hawke missiles are not up to it. It needs a S300/S400 class
missile.

Eh? I-hawk has a ceiling of some 58K feet--do you really see the BUFF
operating higher than that?

Brooks

No, but you could see a Victor or a Vulcan - apparently they could cruise at
65k feet, or the EU could get Concorde at the same altitude - if they got
them back from museums!

David