Adios, Delta

Old June 2nd 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

Default Adios, Delta

After seven years and 900+ hours of faithful service, my sweet-flying Cutlass
RG 9387D has left for her new home in Texas.

"Delta" carried family home for the holidays in Houston, took Angel Flight
patients to medical care from Jacksonville to Tulsa and everywhere in
between, enabled me to show up for business meetings out of town and be home
the same day, and spread her sheltering wings over our tents at Oshkosh. In
Delta I ran from hurricanes, dodged thunderstorms, flew approaches to minimums
and sometimes just goofed around looking at the scenery. Never once was a
trip scrubbed because of mechanical trouble.

Thanks to Delta I went places, saw sights and made friends I couldn't have
without her. Thanks to her I've had a vastly richer life. How many of our
possesions give us that much?

So, adios, Delta. Here's hoping you keep helping people enjoy life for many
more years.

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...3_P1010262.JPG

--
Dan

Old June 3rd 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On Jun 2, 5:55 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
[...]

Well said...good luck in the future!

Robert

Old June 3rd 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

So, adios, Delta. Here's hoping you keep helping people enjoy life for many
more years.

Geez, that's depressing, Dan. I don't even know ya, and I've not
flown your plane -- but it sure feels like a funeral nonetheless.

Good luck.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 3rd 07, 09:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

So, adios, Delta. Here's hoping you keep helping people enjoy life for
many
more years.

Geez, that's depressing, Dan. I don't even know ya, and I've not
flown your plane -- but it sure feels like a funeral nonetheless.

heh

It's not that bad!

Airplanes come and go. That one was a good'un and I felt like saying 'bye.

Good luck.

Same to you.

--
Dan

"You spend money to buy aggravation."
-Chinese proverb

Old June 3rd 07, 09:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"BT" wrote:

So what are you replacing Delta with..

Dunno, yet. I'm going to see how I like life as a non-owner for a little
while.

Old June 3rd 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On Jun 2, 5:55 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
[...]

could you please (if you have the time) let us in on any problems you
had? I have little experience in retractrable gear Cessna
singles...although a bit of time with O-2's and the folks who
maintained those worked on the gear all the time...

Robert

Old June 3rd 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Luke Skywalker" wrote:

could you please (if you have the time) let us in on any problems you
had? I have little experience in retractrable gear Cessna
singles...although a bit of time with O-2's and the folks who
maintained those worked on the gear all the time...

I bought the plane in 2000 with a runout engine and an AD coming to inspect
the gear pivots for cracks.

The engine was o'hauled by a local shop shortly after I bought the airplane.
I had bad exhaust valve guide leaks twice within 300 hours of overhaul. That
turned out to be the fault of the shop that resurfaced the rocker arms -- they
ground the wrong angle on them. After we figured that out, I had no more
engine problems.

I had the gear AD done and the break line o-ring seals replaced for a total
cost of about $2,000. After that, I never had any gear trouble in the next
900 hours, and never spent any more money on the gear unless you count what it
cost to inspect it every year at annual. Never even burned out an annunciator
bulb.

Most of my repair costs were avionics and instruments. The Cessna radios
needed work regularly; the HI and AI failed; the S-Tec autopilot always worked
perfectly except for two times when the cheap test-off-on toggle switch
failed. I replaced the vacuum pump at 500 hours just to be on the safe side.
The voltage regulator failed once in IMC.

The airplane was remarkably trouble-free. I followed Lycoming's
recommendations about leaning, max temperatures and shutdown procedures
carefully. I made sure I flew the airplane at least once a week, and it was
in top notch shape when I sold it.

--
Dan

Old June 4th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Luke

My personal airplane in VN was a 0-2. In the year I had it (got new
and we put about 500 hours on it) never had any gear problems with it.
Used it pretty hard at times and flew off hard runways and laderite
strips.

Big John

Old June 4th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On Jun 3, 1:44 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"Luke Skywalker" wrote:
[...]

Dan.

It was very gracious of you to do this. I've saved your reply in my
file. The electronic issues seems to track with both my experience
and some others. Cessna radios are just not so hot...the STEC is
super. it is just hard to toss to many "rahs" at that device.

flying the airplane as frequently as you did was probably a big help
in the gear issues. Everyone who I know who has actually had gear
trouble in like the 210...didnt fly it all that much.

Thanks again.

Robert