"center" or "approach" - why important

Old February 7th 05, 07:38 PM

Default "center" or "approach" - why important

In a recent flight, I received the handoff, "27D change to Chicago
Center on xxx.xx" Next call, "Chicago Center, Arrow 27D, 3000"
Response: "Arrow 27D, this is not Chicago Center, this is Chicago
Approach". Me "Arrow 27D, correction noted"

Is this an issue of sufficient importance to waste the air time in a
very busy airspace? I'd just like to know...

Old February 7th 05, 07:48 PM
Peter R.

In a recent flight, I received the handoff, "27D change to Chicago
Center on xxx.xx" Next call, "Chicago Center, Arrow 27D, 3000"
Response: "Arrow 27D, this is not Chicago Center, this is Chicago
Approach". Me "Arrow 27D, correction noted"

Is this an issue of sufficient importance to waste the air time in a
very busy airspace? I'd just like to know...

Perhaps he was simply assisting you in determining whether you had the
correct frequency or not. What if you were really trying to raise
Approach because you were being sequenced to land?

--
Peter

Old February 7th 05, 09:19 PM
Bob Gardner

Slip of the tongue by the controller handing you off? Not a biggie, not
worth following up.

Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old February 7th 05, 10:15 PM
Dan Luke

"Dave Butler" wrote:
Is this an issue of sufficient importance to waste the air time in a
very busy airspace? I'd just like to know...

It's his air time. He can waste it at his discretion.

If you were handed off, he knew you were coming, he knew you were on the

right
freq. Not clear what his motivation was in making the correction, but it

really
doesn't matter why he chose to make the correction. Just acknowledge and

press
on (as you did).

I've inadvertently called Atlanta Approach "Atlanta Center" when checking in.
They don't like it.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old February 7th 05, 11:21 PM
Brad Zeigler

If you're on the right freq but call them the right name they normally
quickly correct you but continue on, sort of like:

"27D roger, Chicago *Approach*, Radar contact...blah blah blah..."

oups.com...

Old February 8th 05, 06:44 AM
Doug

Well, I haven't used it with Center and Approach, but when I don't know
which Fligh****ch I am going to get (almost always 122.2), I say
"S&ch*%##prtzer Fligh****ch, this is November 6 3 Charlie Tango". That
way, ya can't go wrong :-) Always good to be able to imitate static at
appropriate times. Good technique to master :-)

As for them getting mad, maybe the approach guys make more money than
the center guys? :-) (Or at least think they do)

Old February 8th 05, 03:15 PM
Dave Butler

Icebound wrote:
"Dave Butler" wrote in message

It's his air time. He can waste it at his discretion.

If you were handed off, he knew you were coming, he knew you were on the
right freq. Not clear what his motivation was in making the correction,
but it really doesn't matter why he chose to make the correction.

Actually, I would think it WOULD be important. There are a lot of aircraft
on, or coming on, the frequency. If they hear you continue to call "Centre"
instead of "Approach", some one of them is going to waste time trying to
figure out if he is on the right frequency, and will perhaps leave it
(incorrectly).

I don't think we are disagreeing. I assume you mean "It would be important for
the controller to make the correction." and not "It would be important for us to
know why he chose to make the correction."
Old February 8th 05, 03:26 PM

Thanks to all for the input. I guess the bottom line is that
communication is more efficient when the right name is given with every
call, so it's worth taking time to straighten things out right away.