Practicing SFLs with a constant speed prop - how?

Old April 14th 04, 05:55 PM
Peter Duniho

wrote in message
om...
[...] Again, from direct observation, this can be caused by insufficient

oil
supply to the gov pad (see above), excessive rotor-to-housing
clearance/physical gov oil pump damage, a fault in the oil pressure
relief valve, or in extreme cases, excessive clearances/oil loss
between the main crankshaft bearing and the crankshaft.

Your oh-so-respectful approach to your criticism notwithstanding (full of
insults and personal mischaracterizations), I think it's interesting you
don't bother to list "low RPM" as a fault that could interfere with prop
governing.

[...] Over the years in these forums,
my chosen profession has been repeatedly attacked, my personal
experience and intent questioned.

So, you choose to propogate the madness? IMHO, once you start doing it
yourself, you lose the right to complain about others doing it to you.

Pete

Old April 16th 04, 02:23 AM

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:55:51 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

Your oh-so-respectful approach to your criticism notwithstanding (full of
insults and personal mischaracterizations), I think it's interesting you
don't bother to list "low RPM" as a fault that could interfere with prop
governing.

Nice edit job. I was really looking forward to re-reading all the
"insults and personal mischaracterizations".

Well ya see, noone driving a single-engine has ever walked into the
hangar with a gripe about "nothing happening" when they pulled the
prop control back at idle while practicing engine-outs. If it had
happened, up until a day or so ago, I would have told them it was
normal.

[...] Over the years in these forums,
my chosen profession has been repeatedly attacked, my personal
experience and intent questioned.

So, you choose to propogate the madness? IMHO, once you start doing it
yourself, you lose the right to complain about others doing it to you.

I don't live in a glass house (work in GA) any more, so I can throw
stones whenever the mood strikes me.

BTW it would tend to be a little more interesting/challenging if your
apparent "personality" was unique in this industry. Sadly, it is not.

Speaking theoretically of course, a few years ago had you strolled
into the hangar and handed me the attitude you tend to exhibit online,
I wouldn't have been able to laugh my ass off until after you had
walked back out.

Can you hear me now?

TC

Old April 16th 04, 02:42 AM
Bushleague

I don't have a lot of propeller driven time (4250 hrs maybe) however
most AFM's give you a setting to simulate 'zero thrust'. Since the
throttle is retarted and your'e out of the prop governor range, the
propeller lever is full foraward, and the manifold 15" or so on the
Lycoming. Of course I may be off a bit and any input is welcome here.

Have a great one!

Bush

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 05:06:12 GMT, Ed wrote:

I'm fairly new to GA after a 19 year break flying jets. I routinely
fly a single engine experimental with a constant speed prop mounted on
a Lycoming IO-360.

2 QUESTIONS:

1. What's the proper setup to simulate the way the plane would glide
in case of an engine failure? I'm looking for pitch and possibly a
manifold pressure number here.

2. It that motor quits, will it still rotate through the flying
airspeed envelope or can I expect it to stop rotation (assuming it's
not frozen due to a mechanical failure)?

In idle, with the prop at flat pitch, it feels too draggy and comes
down like a rock. With it at high pitch, it seems to have too
optimistic a glide ratio. What's the happy medium?

I don't live near a dry lake bed or I'd just shut it down and find
out. I have the proper airspeeds for max range and min sink out of
the POH but it does not quote any type of glide ratio.

Ed