Geeky GPS question (PCI card, possibly off-topic)

Old June 13th 05, 08:07 PM
Tina Marie

Default Geeky GPS question (PCI card, possibly off-topic)

I have an old Airmap 5000. It stores the data on a PCI card that
slides into the unit.

My database is now 3 years old. Lowrance stopped providing data
about 4 years ago, and a year ago Jeppson dropped support.

A web search didn't reveal anybody else selling databases.

Now, that data is on the 'net. I'm a reasonably competant programmer,
and I could reverse-engineer the database format, and write code
that would put fresh data back into that format, thus updating my
database.

Here's the problem: I have no idea how to read/write to that
PCI card. Has anyone done this? Is there a driver somewhere, or
am I going to have to write that too? I'd assume there was some
sort of standard "data storage" PCI API, just like there is for
the data storage USB devices.

If I went to all this trouble, I'd be glad to update other people's
cards for shipping costs, since there isn't any other way to get
the data, and I'm guessing there are a reasonable number of these
out there.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tina Marie
--
http://www.tripacerdriver.com "...One of the main causes
of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way
Old June 13th 05, 09:31 PM
Tina Marie

In article , Tina Marie wrote:
I have an old Airmap 5000. It stores the data on a PCI card that
slides into the unit.

Despite my repeated uses of "PCI" in this post, I really did mean
a PC card, as quite a few emails have reminded me.

Tina "the lurkers support me in email!" Marie
Old June 13th 05, 11:15 PM
Ben Hallert

Work your way backwards. If you have a card with the last database
update on it, start by analyzing how the data is stored there. That
should be the first step in any project like this, the format _might_
be immediately apparent.... or it might be deliberately obfuscated to
maintain a business model. You should be able to find out quickly.

Basically, if you have the skills to write a replacement device for
updating the DB, then you have the skills to examine the card and
figure out where to start. : )

Old June 13th 05, 11:28 PM

I'm wondering about the Mx Northstars.

I know that there is some compression algorithm used in the M1.
Memory wasn't so cheap back then. Why would they have not also
used this for the M 1?

The airmap might use the same tricks.

It might make it devilishly tricky to reverse engineer.

Bill Hale

Old June 14th 05, 12:38 AM
Ben Hallert

Followup question, while doing this to get the current data is its own
rewards, I wonder if there would be any implications for
IFR-worthiness? I imagine it depends on what the POH supplement says
about where the data can come from.

Old June 14th 05, 01:28 AM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-06-13, Tina Marie wrote:
Here's the problem: I have no idea how to read/write to that
PCI card. Has anyone done this?

Since you clarified you meant "PC card", then yes. The easiest way
is going to be to get a laptop, boot linux (could be from CD) and insert
the card. It will almost certainly recognize it as a storage card. Then
you have to figure out what's stored on it. Might be a filesystem (likely
FAT16) or it might be flat data.

Once you figure that out you'll have to figure out what the data format
is. Among other things there will probably be a checksum or CRC that you'll
have to figure out how to produce. This will be especially hard with only
one example to go on.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old June 14th 05, 01:43 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Tina Marie wrote:
[...]

This guy does exactly this for the older Magellans:

http://home.stny.rr.com/bkw/315

Added new life to my $90 GPS...
Old June 14th 05, 02:18 PM

This is very nice. I wish someone would do this for my Airmap 100. I
missed out on the last databse that Lowrance published before they
dropped support. Sigh.

Old June 14th 05, 03:45 PM
Tina Marie

In article , Ben Jackson wrote:
Since you clarified you meant "PC card", then yes. The easiest way
is going to be to get a laptop, boot linux (could be from CD) and insert
the card. It will almost certainly recognize it as a storage card. Then
you have to figure out what's stored on it. Might be a filesystem (likely
FAT16) or it might be flat data.

Hm. My laptop runs XP, but I saw a floppy-drive-like-device that lets you
plug a PC card into a desktoy which I could put in my linux machine to
try it. If it's FAT16, the XP box might be able to see it. I'll try
that first, if it doesn't work, I'll go buy the hardware for my linux box.

Once you figure that out you'll have to figure out what the data format
is. Among other things there will probably be a checksum or CRC that you'll
have to figure out how to produce. This will be especially hard with only
one example to go on.

Actually, I have two, which is better then one, but not great. And I'm hoping
when I get closer to getting it working I can get a few more examples from
other people.

Thanks!

Tina Marie
--
http://www.tripacerdriver.com "...One of the main causes
of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way
to indicate successful termination of their C programs." (Robert Firth)

AOPA VISA card fraud via XM Radio? Dan Luke Piloting 5 July 5th 04 06:38 PM
Graphics Jim Chambers Simulators 14 April 22nd 04 03:29 AM
Gasp-- On Topic RAM question! Charles Gray Military Aviation 10 December 28th 03 05:53 PM
On topic: A-Bomb necessary? A different approach? old hoodoo Military Aviation 24 December 24th 03 08:58 PM
Off topic question - Are you receiving viruses? Mike Williams Rotorcraft 8 September 27th 03 04:14 AM