FAA MAY TAKE AWAY PANEL-MOUNT OPTION FOR PORTABLE GPS

Old February 2nd 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default FAA MAY TAKE AWAY PANEL-MOUNT OPTION FOR PORTABLE GPS

FAA MAY TAKE AWAY PANEL-MOUNT OPTION FOR PORTABLE GPS
Think your portable GPS would work great mounted to your old Cessna 172's
instrument panel? If the FAA has its way, you won't be able to mount it. The
parts-panel dock and connective wiring-needed to mount your portable GPS
would either no longer be available or be too expensive to buy. The FAA's
proposal would make it illegal for manufacturers to produce a replacement or
modification part if they know (or should know) the part would end up
installed in a certified aircraft-that is unless they obtain production
approval from the agency. But that costs tens of thousands of dollars,
something many companies can't afford. While AOPA agrees production approval
is necessary for critical parts like connecting rods and cylinders, it isn't
needed for non-critical parts like a portable GPS panel dock or traffic
detector that enhance pilot safety. See AOPA Online.

Old February 2nd 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message

The FAA's proposal would make it illegal for manufacturers to produce a
replacement or modification part if they know (or should know) the part
would end up installed in a certified aircraft-that is unless they obtain
production approval from the agency. But that costs tens of thousands of
dollars,

I guess wire ties and Velcro are going to skyrocket.

Old February 2nd 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Gig 601XL Builder wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net posted:

FAA MAY TAKE AWAY PANEL-MOUNT OPTION FOR PORTABLE GPS
Think your portable GPS would work great mounted to your old Cessna
172's instrument panel? If the FAA has its way, you won't be able to
mount it. The parts-panel dock and connective wiring-needed to mount
your portable GPS would either no longer be available or be too
expensive to buy.

Perhaps I'm missing something, here. What is there to buy besides a sheet
of stock aluminum and a few screws? The "wiring" comes with the portable
GPS in the way of the remote antenna lead and power connector.

Neil

Old February 2nd 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Neil Gould wrote:
Recently, Gig 601XL Builder wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net posted:

FAA MAY TAKE AWAY PANEL-MOUNT OPTION FOR PORTABLE GPS
Think your portable GPS would work great mounted to your old Cessna
172's instrument panel? If the FAA has its way, you won't be able to
mount it. The parts-panel dock and connective wiring-needed to mount
your portable GPS would either no longer be available or be too
expensive to buy.

Perhaps I'm missing something, here. What is there to buy besides a
sheet of stock aluminum and a few screws? The "wiring" comes with the
portable GPS in the way of the remote antenna lead and power
connector.

Neil

I think the big thingis they are going to go after the Air Gizmo panel dock.

http://www.gulf-coast-avionics.com/l...ext=Air+Gizmos

I think I'm going to go ahead and order mine for the homebuilt I'm building.

Old February 2nd 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 09:42:52 -0600, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in
:

Neil Gould wrote:

The "wiring" comes with the portable GPS in the way of the remote
antenna lead and power connector.

Neil

I think the big thingis they are going to go after the Air Gizmo panel dock.

http://www.gulf-coast-avionics.com/l...ext=Air+Gizmos

The antenna and power cables slide through prefabricated
"keyholes" in the back of the unit, which keeps the connectors
from slipping back into the panel when the unit is removed.

From what is written above, it would seem that there is no wiring
involved, other than threading the cables behind the panel. That does
have the potential to foul the control linkage I suppose.

Old February 2nd 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bill Denton

Typically, in these types of installations, the power lead is "hard wired"
into the aircraft's electrical system...

Neil Gould wrote:

The "wiring" comes with the portable GPS in the way of the remote
antenna lead and power connector.

Neil

I think the big thingis they are going to go after the Air Gizmo panel

dock.

http://www.gulf-coast-avionics.com/l...rch_text=Air+G

izmos

The antenna and power cables slide through prefabricated
"keyholes" in the back of the unit, which keeps the connectors
from slipping back into the panel when the unit is removed.

From what is written above, it would seem that there is no wiring

Old February 2nd 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Neil Gould wrote:

The "wiring" comes with the portable GPS in the way of the remote
antenna lead and power connector.

Neil

I think the big thingis they are going to go after the Air Gizmo
panel dock.

http://www.gulf-coast-
avionics.com/list.asp?search_type=2&search_text=Air+Gizmos

The antenna and power cables slide through prefabricated
"keyholes" in the back of the unit, which keeps the connectors
from slipping back into the panel when the unit is removed.

From what is written above, it would seem that there is no wiring
involved, other than threading the cables behind the panel. That does
have the potential to foul the control linkage I suppose.

The original article specificly said,

"The FAA's proposal would make it illegal for manufacturers to produce a
replacement or
modification part if they know (or should know) the part would end up
installed in a certified aircraft-that is unless they obtain production
approval from the agency."

That has got to be talking about the Air Gizmo without actually saying Air
Gizmo.

Old February 2nd 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

FAA MAY TAKE AWAY PANEL-MOUNT OPTION FOR PORTABLE GPS
Think your portable GPS would work great mounted to your old Cessna 172's
instrument panel? If the FAA has its way, you won't be able to mount it.

What a bunch of crap. The AirGizmo panel dock (for our 496) is the
nicest thing we've done in our plane, making sure that we don't have
the usual "cat's cradle" of wires fouling the controls and getting in
the way of everything. It's clean, neat, and works great.

No *wonder* the gummint doesn't want it.

This is just another example of our underworked, over-paid gummint
bureaucrats sticking their fingers into places they don't belong. If
we fired every third one of 'em, we'd only have twice as many as we
need.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 2nd 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

They are being factory installed by the LSA makers.
http://www.legend.aero/manufacturing.cfm scroll down
the page to see.
http://www.cubcrafters.com/sportcub/gallery.aspx

. net...

Old February 2nd 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
The FAA's proposal would make it illegal for manufacturers to produce a
replacement or modification part if they know (or should know) the part
would end up installed in a certified aircraft-that is unless they obtain
production approval from the agency.

What jurisdiction does the FAA have over manufacturers? They don't make
'laws', so how can they make something 'illegal'. I realize they could make
life miserable for a company that also produces certified parts, but I don't
see how the FAA can make manufacturing something illegal.