Airshares SR-20

Old December 2nd 03, 05:07 AM
Guy Elden Jr.

Default Airshares SR-20

After last week's great flight down to Atlanta and back to NJ, I've begun to
seriously investigate upgrading "my" aircraft to an SR-20. By "my" I mean
that I currently rent, and for long distance flights meant more for vacation
like the one to Atlanta, I rent a 172SP. I'm very happy with the planes I
get to rent, as each (of the two available) is equipped with GPS, moving
map, and autopilot, and one even has an HSI that automatically syncs up with
the magnetic compass... a very handy gauge on really long flights.

I spoke with someone at the Airshares office at Caldwell, NJ, and got a good
overview of the price structure for the SR-20. They don't actually have one
available there yet, as there isn't enough interest at the moment. But I
don't qualify for the SR-22 yet... I have about 195 total hours, and their
insurance requires 350 + active pursuit of an instrument rating (which,
incidentally, I earned a few months ago). So I'm really only lacking the
flight hours, and the SR-20 sounds like a great way to move up without
stepping up too much in too short a time.

I'm curious what experiences any SR-20 flyers out there have had on both
short hops, sightseeing trips, and on longer distance trips as well. I want
some extra speed, and I like the fact that it can carry a bit more of a
payload than a 172SP, but since I haven't flown one, much less to a faraway
destination, I don't know if it will really be worth the hassle of the
upgrade. I'm interested in hearing how well it performs, how comfortable it
is, how useful it is as compared to 172s, Warriors, etc.

Thanks!

--
Guy Elden Jr.

Old December 2nd 03, 05:59 AM
ArtP

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 00:07:03 -0500, "Guy Elden Jr."
wrote:

I'm curious what experiences any SR-20 flyers out there have had on both
short hops, sightseeing trips, and on longer distance trips as well. I want
some extra speed, and I like the fact that it can carry a bit more of a
payload than a 172SP, but since I haven't flown one, much less to a faraway
destination, I don't know if it will really be worth the hassle of the
upgrade. I'm interested in hearing how well it performs, how comfortable it
is, how useful it is as compared to 172s, Warriors, etc.

When it works, it is a roomy, automated, and slightly faster, and much
more expensive 172. I get 130 knots at 9 gph. It carries 540 lbs with
full fuel and will fly for 5 hours with reserves.
Old December 2nd 03, 02:36 PM
Dan Luke

"ArtP" wrote:
I'm curious what experiences any SR-20 flyers out there have had...

When it works, it is a roomy, automated, and slightly faster, and
much more expensive 172. I get 130 knots at 9 gph.

That seems awfully slow. Is that TAS? What altitude?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old December 2nd 03, 03:21 PM
ISLIP

'm interested in hearing how well it performs, how comfortable it
is

After 24 years owning a 172 I brought a SR20. There is NO GOING BACK!
The cabin is 49" wide - about 9 " wider than the 172, and the lack of a yoke
makes it seem even larger. I'm 6'3" and very comfortable in it, and, with seat
back there is still a lot of room in the rear.
I had a 430, S-Tec and engine monitor in the Hawk but there is no comparison
with the panel & 10 " MFD of the Cirrus.
I usually file 147KT @ 10.6GPH and have flown x-cty in the mid 150's but the
time savings isn't worth the extra fuel to me.
Art P has had problems with his Cirrus - more so than the 1000+ other owners,
but not that after 3 years of owning ( and complaining), he STILL owns/flys it.
Problems - sure - it's a new design. But. Cirrus has been very good at support.
Cirrus owners & pilots have a web site-CIRRUSPILOTS.ORG with both public &
member forums if you want more info

John
SR20 N468JP
Old December 2nd 03, 04:03 PM
ArtP

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 08:36:24 -0600, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

"ArtP" wrote:
I'm curious what experiences any SR-20 flyers out there have had...

When it works, it is a roomy, automated, and slightly faster, and
much more expensive 172. I get 130 knots at 9 gph.

That seems awfully slow. Is that TAS? What altitude?

That is TAS and at any altitude. At lower altitudes I am limited to
23" mp or less (65% so I can run LOP), at higher altitudes the mp is
limited by the altitude and the fact I can't run full throttle without
running at max rpm (the throttle is connected to the prop governor and
can't be overridden so if you run at full throttle you run at max
rpm).

Old December 2nd 03, 05:54 PM
Andrew Gideon

Guy Elden Jr. wrote:

I spoke with someone at the Airshares office at Caldwell, NJ, and got a
good overview of the price structure for the SR-20. They don't actually
have one available there yet, as there isn't enough interest at the
moment. But I don't qualify for the SR-22 yet... I have about 195 total
hours, and their insurance requires 350 + active pursuit of an instrument
rating (which, incidentally, I earned a few months ago). So I'm really
only lacking the flight hours, and the SR-20 sounds like a great way to
move up without stepping up too much in too short a time.

I thought about Airshares for a while. I still have it in the back of my
brain. But, at least for now, I decided to go the "club route" instead.
I'm in a club which includes a 182 and a 182RG, as well as a couple of
172s.

The down side, as compared to the Cirrus, is that none of these are a
Cirrus. That is one hell of a nice airplane. I even deliberately avoided
the open house Airshare had at CDW a little while ago, knowing what would
occur if I went.

But, just to be mean to myself, what are they planning to charge for their
-20s?

- Andrew

Old December 2nd 03, 08:27 PM
Jeff

the SR20 only has a 200 HP engine.
now if it was able to pull the landing gear up, I am willing to bet his
speed would increase by quiet a bit.

Old December 2nd 03, 09:33 PM
Jay Honeck

As for flying it. The first year we flew 168 hours (25 hours of that
was flying to the authorized service center), the 2nd year we only
flew 60 hours. It is just to unreliable for anything but spur of the
moment flying (I gave up on Angel Flight since I don't have enough
faith in the plane to make a commitment).

That is truly sad. You must be terribly disappointed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA