Club Glider Hangar?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 10th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Club Glider Hangar?

Hi All,

I'm doing some research for my local club, and one of the things I'd
like to determine is how to increase the usage of our "glass" ships
(Astir, Apis, and L-33 - yes I know the L-33 is metal). All are kept
stored in trailers. These 3 ships (all in great condition) sit in
their trailers, only seeing 20-40 hours of flying per year.

A fair number of our members are older casual pilots who don't fly too
often - so when they show up they simply drag out an L-13 or our
club's 1-34 because its metal, its rigged, and its tied down about 100
feet from the flight-line. Same thing happens with our students and
young pilots - they learn in one of these craft, so they naturally
gravitate to flying what's already rigged and on the line. Not only
is this inefficient, but its also been driving new members to go buy
their own aircraft (having slogged through training in crowded metal
gliders, and never experiencing the glass club ships).

Although some of the blame lies with our club's existing policies and
operating methods, we have quite often had people talk about how they
would fly the glass ships more if they were already rigged and
accessible - but its hard to know how much of that talk is serious.
We do have a few "T" hangars for our towplanes, as well as a small
clubhouse, but no hangar-space for gliders at this time.

So here are my questions:

Has anyone out there been part of a club that bought a hangar in the
last few years?
If so, has storing your gliders rigged in a hangar actually increased
the flying activities and/or number of flights each glider gets?
Do you store powered aircraft (towplanes) in with the gliders? If so,
has that caused any problems?
How much has the cost of the hangar impacted your fees and operations?

I am interested in hearing from folks with actual practical experience
with a club that has a hangar - especially if the hangar was a new
acquisition in the last 5 - 10 years.

Thanks a bunch in advance!!

--Noel

If a club had no hangar space, what aircraft could they use? Dan G Soaring 7 September 2nd 07 03:29 AM
Littlefield Glider Club Jack Soaring 3 October 23rd 05 01:16 AM
Winch for hanging glider underneath hangar roof. Karl Soaring 8 April 9th 05 11:56 AM
Ideal Glider Hangar Dimensions SGS135 Soaring 3 November 27th 04 11:04 PM
Glider Club Video Montage Todd Burch Soaring 0 August 14th 03 09:15 PM