sealing cork float against gasoline - how to...

Old July 14th 03, 02:37 AM
jt

Default sealing cork float against gasoline - how to...

Got a pair of fuel-level senders and the cork floats have lost some of
whatever it was that was painted on them. These will be in tanks with
automotive gasoline. What should I use to seal them?

Old July 14th 03, 02:46 AM
Larry Smith

"jt" wrote in message
Got a pair of fuel-level senders and the cork floats have lost some of
whatever it was that was painted on them. These will be in tanks with
automotive gasoline. What should I use to seal them?

Somebody recommended Ambroid in a mailgroup recently. I can't attest to it
for myself, having long ago given up on cork and gone to a brass float.

Old July 14th 03, 03:03 AM
Jerry

Go to a local hobby store and get 'hot fuel proof clear dope"

Jerry in NC

Old July 14th 03, 03:38 AM
Orval Fairbairn

"jt" wrote in message
Got a pair of fuel-level senders and the cork floats have lost some of
whatever it was that was painted on them. These will be in tanks with
automotive gasoline. What should I use to seal them?

I believe that the original treatment was shellac.

--
To get random signatures put text files into a folder called ³Random Signatures² into your Preferences folder.
Old July 14th 03, 01:31 PM
Larry Smith

Orval equivocated:

I believe that the original treatment was shellac.

That was in them old glory days when gasoline did not contain volatile
additives.

Old July 14th 03, 03:49 PM
Paul

I've had good luck with polyester fiberglass resin. This is on floats used
with
a wire sticking up to see fuel level.
I have dipped them in resin and then shook off the excess. They don't
seem to float any lower and the resin resists auto fuel.

Cheers:

Paul
NC2273H

Old July 14th 03, 08:08 PM
Ed Sullivan

Orval Fairbairn wrote in message ...

"jt" wrote in message
Got a pair of fuel-level senders and the cork floats have lost some of
whatever it was that was painted on them. These will be in tanks with
automotive gasoline. What should I use to seal them?

I believe that the original treatment was shellac.

I don't know if there is enough alcohol in your auto gas, but alcohol
is a solvent for shellac.

Ed Sullivan
Old July 16th 03, 02:54 AM
Capt. Doug

Veeduber wrote in message . If you use it on a riveted
aluminum tank, it works best if the tank is first etched with a mild

solution
of phosphoric acid

I have a steel tank that leaves a bit of rust in the filter. Will sloshing
the tank solve the rust problem? If so, what compound do you recommend for
steel and should it be etched with anything beforehand?

D.

Old July 16th 03, 04:48 AM
Del Rawlins

On 15 Jul 2003 05:54 PM, Capt. Doug posted the following:

I have a steel tank that leaves a bit of rust in the filter. Will
sloshing the tank solve the rust problem? If so, what compound do you
recommend for steel and should it be etched with anything beforehand?

Try this:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/aspfiles/i...3071523462854&
T1=10165+Z&Dep_Key1=

I used a similar product to etch/seal the tank for my three wheeler (atv)
and have been very happy with the results.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/