My First GPS Approaches

Old November 7th 04, 07:57 PM
john smith

Default My First GPS Approaches

Flew my first GPS approaches this morning...
Wow!!! Easy and precise!
I was flying a 1997 C182S with King KLN 94 GPS and UPSAT MX 20 moving
map display.
The moving map has a lot of lag during a turn, but fly the OBS and you
go right where you are supposed to.

Old November 7th 04, 10:31 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
john smith wrote:

Flew my first GPS approaches this morning...
Wow!!! Easy and precise!
I was flying a 1997 C182S with King KLN 94 GPS and UPSAT MX 20 moving
map display.
The moving map has a lot of lag during a turn, but fly the OBS and you
go right where you are supposed to.

Yeah, the MX-20 is about 4 year old technology, and doesn't really have
a fast enough processor to keep up with rendering for the big display.
I'd love to see a next generation MX-20 with a faster processor.
Old November 8th 04, 12:59 AM
Mike Rapoport

If you have XYZ heading information availible (some HSIs have this) then
this can generally be ported over to the moving map and it will rotate
faster as you turn.

Mike
MU-2

Old November 8th 04, 01:34 AM
Stan Prevost

"john smith" wrote in message
Flew my first GPS approaches this morning...
Wow!!! Easy and precise!
I was flying a 1997 C182S with King KLN 94 GPS and UPSAT MX 20 moving map
display.
The moving map has a lot of lag during a turn, but fly the OBS and you go
right where you are supposed to.

The IFR GPS is a great tool, John. But be sure you put the effort into
mastering it so that you know how to handle the exceptional conditions.
It's not a good feeling to have something unexpected happen on a GPS
approach and not know how to make the box navigate.

A useful guide is in the AIM:

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/AIM/Chap1/aim0101.html#1-1-19 para q.

Stan

Old November 8th 04, 04:00 AM
john smith

Thanks Stan.
What I did today was just acquaint myself with the approaches
themselves. (I found the two, five mile fixes interesting.)
I know there are more things to monitor (like the RAIM page) during the
approach.
Someone posted a good checklist a month or so ago to follow during a GPS
approach. I need to print it and attach it to my kneeboard.

Old November 9th 04, 04:32 AM
Doug

If you are set up for flying to the IAF, are outside the IAF and you
get vectored to one of the intermediate fixes, or the FAF, do you know
what to do? Difficutly is knowing which buttons to push on the GPS.
Also, do you know how to handle a missed? a non published missed?
Old November 9th 04, 01:05 PM
john smith

On first thought...
[for the KLN 94]
Go to the FlightPlan 0 page
Scroll up to the appropriate waypoint
Hit Direct
Hit Enter
Rotate the OBS to the heading to the waypoint
Fly the procedure

Old November 9th 04, 01:42 PM
Roy Smith

Doug wrote:
If you are set up for flying to the IAF, are outside the IAF and you
get vectored to one of the intermediate fixes, or the FAF, do you know
what to do? Difficutly is knowing which buttons to push on the GPS.
Also, do you know how to handle a missed? a non published missed?

There may be more than one missed procedure for a given instrument
approach, but only one of them is published on the plate. ATC has the
option to assign you a different procedure, which they will read to you.
See section 4-8-9 in the AIM.
Old November 9th 04, 03:30 PM
Mitty

On 11/9/04 7:05 AM, john smith wrote the following:
What is a non-published missed?

I get non-published misses 100% of the time when flying practice approaches in
the Minneapolis area. Approach uses them to set me up for my next requested
approach. Just a heading and an altitude, usually. We are fortunate to have 6
or 7 airports (not including MSP) with instrument approaches, so we frequently
fly a "circuit" clockwise or counterclockwise around the metro area, using
airports only once. 5 or 6 approaches in about 1 1/2 hours is pretty easy to
do. I have never gotten a standard miss or a standard hold without asking for them.