Clearing out Moisture from Instrumentation Lines

Old June 22nd 11, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KevinFinke

Default Clearing out Moisture from Instrumentation Lines

Working on my glider last night, and noticed that my static lines seem
to be more hazy than the others. It looks like there is a very fine
film of moisture on the tubing. I'm going to be putting in moisture/
filter traps on the lines, but before I do that, is there a
recommended way of drying them out a bit first?

Was thinking of blowing some low pressure air through them for a few
minutes first. Obviously, they'll be disconnected from the
instruments. Has anyone else dealt with this? And what did you do?

Thanks!
Old June 22nd 11, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

disconnect any tubes you want to clear from the instruments and then at the
static or pitot source use a small vacuum to draw (suck) the air from the
lines rather than trying to blow air into the lines. Blowing air into the
lines you risk putting enough pressure that you can expand the tubes and
blow them off the sockets that are buried in the glider structure..and then
you'll wish your problem was having a bit of moisture in your instruments!
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

signature database 6229 (20110622) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6229 (20110622) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old June 22nd 11, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Jun 22, 10:06*am, KevinFinke wrote:
Working on my glider last night, and noticed that my static lines seem
to be more hazy than the others. It looks like there is a very fine
film of moisture on the tubing. *I'm going to be putting in moisture/
filter traps on the lines, but before I do that, is there a
recommended way of drying them out a bit first?

Was thinking of blowing some low pressure air through them for a few
minutes first. Obviously, they'll be disconnected from the
instruments. Has anyone else dealt with this? And what did you do?

Thanks!

Kevin,

Use a tire pump that can be connected to auto 12v cigarette lighter
socket.

Disconnect instruments, and the airspeed if in the rear of the glider
and TE Probes, connect to the pump leave connected for about 1/2 to
1 hours. the air will be low pressure and eventually warms up and
will evaporate the moisture.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old June 23rd 11, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rec.aviation.soaring[_2_]

On 22 juin, 16:45, Richard wrote:
[...]

Hi
Use a hair dryer set on warm not hot.
S6
Old June 23rd 11, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Jun 22, 4:11*pm, "rec.aviation.soaring" wrote:
[...]

S6- Hide quoted text -

Or move to Arizona. I've never had this problem since moving here 12
yesars ago.

Mike

Old June 25th 11, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

On 6/25/2011 2:02 AM, Steve Tape wrote:
Fish tank bubbler.

fish tank bubbler air pump.