Military Base Closures

Old February 3rd 05, 08:22 PM
Fastfwd

Default Military Base Closures

Can anyone direct me to a source of information - a website perhaps -
that can educate me on the military base closure process and help me
understand what states and/or bases are most in competition with
Okalahoma? I would like to campaign for base closures in Oklahoma -
any suggestions are welcome.

Old February 3rd 05, 09:17 PM
John A. Weeks III

In article . com,
"Fastfwd" wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a source of information - a website perhaps -
that can educate me on the military base closure process and help me
understand what states and/or bases are most in competition with
Okalahoma? I would like to campaign for base closures in Oklahoma -
any suggestions are welcome.

I think you are in luck...there are not any US Navy bases in
Oklahoma that I know of. You did post to a naval group, didn't
you?

The base closing procedure is well documented on line. Try
a google search for "BARC", or try one of the closed down
bases. There are a few closed bases in Oklahoma that have
web sites. Ardmore comes to mind, as does Clinton-Sherman
(which, ironically, was once a Naval Air Station).

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old February 3rd 05, 09:46 PM
RENABORNEY

In article . com,
"Fastfwd" wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a source of information - a website perhaps -
that can educate me on the military base closure process and help me
understand what states and/or bases are most in competition with
Okalahoma? I would like to campaign for base closures in Oklahoma -
any suggestions are welcome.

SNIP

You want to try to demilitarize Oklahoma?

Seriously?

Well, there's probably a bunch of people at teh University of Texas who would
be all in favor of that, but still....

Anyway, what do you consider a "base"? It could range from an acre or two and a
couple hundred troops at a local National Guard Armory or Reserve Center to
something the size of Fort Sill which occupies thousands of acres and has
thousands of troops assigned.

Good luck on closing Sill, it has trained all the Army's and Marine Corps'
artillerymen for generations and the investment in training facilities would
cost a large fortune (even by governemnt standards) to duplicate elsewhere. Not
to mention the fact that the good citizens of the town of Lawton would
undoubatbly tar and feather you for trying to cancel their meal ticket.

Old February 3rd 05, 11:01 PM
Tiger

Fastfwd wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a source of information - a website perhaps -
that can educate me on the military base closure process and help me
understand what states and/or bases are most in competition with
Okalahoma? I would like to campaign for base closures in Oklahoma -
any suggestions are welcome.

Mostly it's a political thing. They form a commission, look at a list of
bases we don't need and vote to kill them. Then the state politicians
come up with some great reason we need a mostly empty Ft Dix for
example. With the drown down of forces in Germany however, Some bases
may acutally grow in the states.

Old February 4th 05, 12:02 AM
Ogden Johnson III

"John A. Weeks III" wrote:

"Fastfwd" wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a source of information - a website perhaps -
that can educate me on the military base closure process and help me
understand what states and/or bases are most in competition with
Okalahoma? I would like to campaign for base closures in Oklahoma -
any suggestions are welcome.

I think you are in luck...there are not any US Navy bases in
Oklahoma that I know of. You did post to a naval group, didn't
you?

The base closing procedure is well documented on line. Try
a google search for "BARC", or try one of the closed down
bases. There are a few closed bases in Oklahoma that have
web sites. Ardmore comes to mind, as does Clinton-Sherman
(which, ironically, was once a Naval Air Station).

Better yet, to a google on "BRAC", since BRAC is an acronym/FLA
for Base Realignment and Closure, not Base and Realignment
Closure.

Better yet, let me do it for you ... ... ...

Done. Here is the DefenseLink link:

http://www.defenselink.mil/brac/
--
OJ III
Old February 4th 05, 12:44 AM

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
In article . com,
"Fastfwd" wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a source of information - a website perhaps -
that can educate me on the military base closure process and help me
understand what states and/or bases are most in competition with
Okalahoma? I would like to campaign for base closures in Oklahoma -
any suggestions are welcome.

I think you are in luck...there are not any US Navy bases in
Oklahoma that I know of.

But there is some Navy units permanatly assigned to an AF Base in Oklahoma.
VQ-3, VQ-4, NTSU, and NAMTRAGRUDET 1080 are at Tinker.

PS They always say "OKC is OK" but I never believed it.

Edwin

Old February 4th 05, 02:12 AM
MICHAEL OLEARY

Well fastfwd. I have a question for you. Where do the military put their
bases? If not in OK then where. If don't like the military, that is fine
and you're entitled to your opinion. But remember that military personnel
are Americans just like you. We do not like living in the middle of nowhere
with nothing to see or do just like other American citizens. You should
realize that most bases have been established longer than you have probably
been alive. Most bases started off in the middle of nowhere, but
unfortunately the civilians kept building up around it. If we move the
bases into the middle of nowhere again, what happens the next time the
civilian population decide to live near bases again. I'm really tired of
people moving near air stations and complaining about the noise and
pollution. If you don't living near a base then don't move there.

ups.com...

Old February 4th 05, 03:31 AM
Mike Kanze

They always say "OKC is OK" but I never believed it.

Especially if you've ever mistakenly consumed one of the dreaded
Tinkerburgers (vintage early 1970s) foisted on unsuspecting transient
aircrew in the Tinker AFB (OKC) Base Ops Snack Bar.

--
Mike Kanze

"We all know the modern American campus, or think we do: concentration
camps of the mind where students are tortured by baby-boom professors whose
speech codes, leftist politics and unseemly obsession with race, sex and
gender have distorted the ideal of higher education."

- Philip Terzian

Old February 4th 05, 04:25 AM
Fastfwd

"MICHAEL OLEARY" wrote in message

Well fastfwd. I have a question for you. Where do the military put their
bases? If not in OK then where. If don't like the military, that is fine
and you're entitled to your opinion. But remember that military personnel
are Americans just like you. We do not like living in the middle of
nowhere with nothing to see or do just like other American citizens. You
should realize that most bases have been established longer than you have
probably been alive. Most bases started off in the middle of nowhere, but
unfortunately the civilians kept building up around it. If we move the
bases into the middle of nowhere again, what happens the next time the
civilian population decide to live near bases again. I'm really tired of
people moving near air stations and complaining about the noise and
pollution. If you don't living near a base then don't move there.

Oh no, you've got the context all wrong. I have no problem with the
military. I'm interested in what action might be taken to lend support to
the other states on the chopping block. I might be interested in seeking
employment in a competing state. I think there would be a great sense of
satisfaction from feeling a part of helping a competing state to retain it's
military bases(s) and Oklahoma lose it's competing base(s). I hope another
state might realize what my experience in Oklahoma could mean in a tight
competition and appreciate what I might offer them. I don't know myself -
possibly nothing. It might give me the opportunity to live in this country
and not feel bitter about my situation. A sort of justice if you will. I
realize the great economic impact that the military installations have for
Oklahoma.

Unfortunately where I live has become a very inhospitable place for me by no
real fault of my own. It is nearly worse than what I was brought up to
believe a Communist country might be like and Oklahoma is very much a part
of it. Poor leadership has possibly been at the root of the situation, but
Oklahoman leadership has allowed it. I very much support the military in
doing their jobs. I actually think this environment is detrimental to the
motivation of fighting for this country. I have always been very patriotic,
but my sense of faith in my country has been tested to the extreme and I
would like to see if this might be a way to restore my own faith in feeling
like a part of this country. Most people should probably never know what I've
been through here.

--
A sickened mind and spirit
The mirror tells me lies

THX 1138

Old February 4th 05, 05:19 AM
KENG

Lemee see if I understand what your are saying... You REALLY want to
work for the military, but not in OK (where you are now), and you are
willing to destroy thousands of other lives so you can achieve your goal
of moving away from mommy and daddy.