OSH observation

Old July 28th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

Default OSH observation

Departing OSH Wednesday morning, the departure wait for light GA peons got
pretty long. I was interested to hear the ever-more-urgent pleas from a
Cirrus flight of four to speed things up because their engines were
over-heating as they sat idling in line.

Didn't hear anything like that from any of the dozens of other aircraft
waiting to go. It was about 8 in the morning; not hot yet.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 28th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Can't imagine why they'd have an overheat condition. Hell, just shut
down in line and monitor ground/twr with a handheld then..

Old July 28th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Javier[_1_]

Dan Luke wrote:
Departing OSH Wednesday morning, the departure wait for light GA peons got
pretty long. I was interested to hear the ever-more-urgent pleas from a
Cirrus flight of four to speed things up because their engines were
over-heating as they sat idling in line.

Didn't hear anything like that from any of the dozens of other aircraft
waiting to go. It was about 8 in the morning; not hot yet.

This makes me wonder if they were using that as an excuse to get
preferential treatment. I've never heard of Cirri overheating while idling.

-jav
Old July 28th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

"Kingfish" wrote in message ups.com...
: Can't imagine why they'd have an overheat condition. Hell, just shut
: down in line and monitor ground/twr with a handheld then..
:

You need to be able to move every couple of minutes....

Old July 28th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Kingfish" wrote:

Can't imagine why they'd have an overheat condition. Hell, just shut
down in line and monitor ground/twr with a handheld then..

Re-starting an over heated, fuel injected airplane engine is far from a
sure-thing proposition.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 29th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dan Luke wrote:
"Kingfish" wrote:

Can't imagine why they'd have an overheat condition. Hell, just shut
down in line and monitor ground/twr with a handheld then..

Re-starting an over heated, fuel injected airplane engine is far from a
sure-thing proposition.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

The Cirrus demo guys have a tendency to get impatient pretty quick.
We've had on and off problems for the last several years out on the
flight line.

Old July 29th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
Re-starting an over heated, fuel injected airplane engine is far from a
sure-thing proposition.

Heck, restarting a hot fuel injected airplane engine, whether overheated or
not, is far from a sure-thing proposition.

Old July 31st 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Ch. Eigler

"Dan Luke" writes:

[...] I was interested to hear the ever-more-urgent pleas from a
Cirrus flight of four to speed things up because their engines were
over-heating as they sat idling in line.

Didn't hear anything like that from any of the dozens of other aircraft
waiting to go. [...]

Maybe those others don't have engine monitors to make the worsening
situation obvious. A tightly-cowled big-bore engine will be stressed
if left to idle too long. First hand experience: I tried not to whine
about it on air beyond offering to depart VFR, but a 45-minute
take-off wait at KTEB last week made my IO-540s very unhappy.

- FChE
Old July 31st 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
A tightly-cowled big-bore engine will be stressed if left to idle too
long. First hand experience: I tried not to whine about it on air
beyond offering to depart VFR, but a 45-minute take-off wait at KTEB
last week made my IO-540s very unhappy.

Tightly cowled? IO-540s? Sounds like a Duke?

Old July 31st 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The Duke uses a TSIO 541 engine.

oups.com...

Observation LWG Piloting 8 June 16th 05 09:46 PM
Observation Squadron 7 19 Star BB Naval Aviation 2 March 24th 05 03:33 AM
Altitude loss for 5h Duration Flight nyffeler Soaring 9 August 28th 04 11:12 AM
SeeYou - "Calculate minimum distance to next observation zone" Tom Soaring 2 May 18th 04 02:01 PM
Follow up Alright, All You Dashing, Swaggering Bush Pilots wmbjk Home Built 135 September 8th 03 06:09 AM