Sectional use

Old January 27th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Doug Palmer

Default Sectional use

There is a trick for drawing a line from one side of the sectional (one
airport) to the other side (an airport on toe opposite side) whan planning
a route, but I cannot remember it and cannot find it in any of my reference
material. can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance

Doug

Old January 27th 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Don Tuite

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 05:20:54 GMT, "Doug Palmer"
wrote:

There is a trick for drawing a line from one side of the sectional (one
airport) to the other side (an airport on toe opposite side) whan planning
a route, but I cannot remember it and cannot find it in any of my reference
material. can anyone help me out?

If you are drawing a course at a certain magnetic heading:

Use a separate piece of paper where the course line is going to go off
the edge of the sectional. Draw a line on it, l;ay that paper with
the line over the last line of latitude on that side and mark it with
a few of the longitude tick marks near where the course line is going
to go.

Then draw the course line and continue it onto the separate sheet of
paper.

Turn over the sectional, line up the separate piece of paper with the
first latitude line on that side, matching up the tick marks. Then
using the line on the paper as a guide, continue drawing the course
line,

If you are are drawing a couse from airport to airport, use the same
trick to index the paper to the chart and mark the location of the
target airport on the paper. Then lline things up on the other side
and draw the course to the airport on that side. Then follow the first
instructions to draw the line on the other side.

Don

Old January 27th 07, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ben Jackson

On 2007-01-27, Doug Palmer wrote:
There is a trick for drawing a line from one side of the sectional (one
airport) to the other side (an airport on toe opposite side)

As I recall, the instructions are printed on the edge of the sectional.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old January 27th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Ben Jackson writes:

As I recall, the instructions are printed on the edge of the sectional.

Yes, that's where I first saw them.

Old January 27th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Nathan Young

wrote:

There is a trick for drawing a line from one side of the sectional (one
airport) to the other side (an airport on toe opposite side) whan planning
a route, but I cannot remember it and cannot find it in any of my reference
material. can anyone help me out?

Use an old sectional butted up to the current one.
Old January 27th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

There is a trick for drawing a line from one side of the sectional (one
airport) to the other side (an airport on toe opposite side) whan planning
a route

What's a "sectional"?

ducking!

Seriously, how many here still use them for primary navigation? I
honestly can't say I know anyone who does, anymore.

Although we always carry current sectionals (we sell them at the inn,
so I have NO excuse not to), I can't remember the last time I opened
one. I think it was to check an AWOS frequency ahead, cuz Mary was
futzing with the 496's XM music screen...

It really is amazing how much flying has changed in the last 12
years... What was "Buck Rogers" stuff when I was training is now
"SOP"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 27th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Jay Honeck wrote:
What's a "sectional"?
ducking!
Seriously, how many here still use them for primary navigation? I
honestly can't say I know anyone who does, anymore.

Us grey haired old taildragger pilots what fly aeroplanes with no
'lectric system mostly use those paper thingamabobs.
Mostly 'cause we can't remember where we came from or where we're going
to, soes we writes it on the paper thingamabob and draws lines.
Long as we remember to cross out where we been, we noes where we's goin'.
Old January 27th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Seriously, how many here still use them for primary navigation? I
honestly can't say I know anyone who does, anymore.

I do.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old January 27th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Look on the white border/margin. You should see direction
to use a plotter and a piece of paper to make some marks.
You create similar triangles on both sides.

Or get a WAC for plotting or ask a CFI, with experience for
help as part of flight review.

Old January 27th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
What's a "sectional"?

ducking!

Seriously, how many here still use them for primary navigation? I
honestly can't say I know anyone who does, anymore.

I always draw the course line on the sectional (and write the direction
beside the line), even if I don't plan to use it en-route, because once I
didn't and the batteries on my GPS failed (because the stupid cigarette
lighter port was broken) and I couldn't remember the heading I was
supposed to fly after the next turn.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
I have a longstanding agreement with tequila: