Caribous still flying

Old February 16th 04, 01:05 AM
Pits

Default Caribous still flying

Just wondering if US or Canada are still using Caribous for any purpose.
Cheers

Old February 16th 04, 03:48 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Pits" wrote in message ...

Just wondering if US or Canada are still using Caribous for any

purpose.
Cheers

Known as the C-7 in the USAF (after they were taken over from the Army in
the late sixties), they have been out of service for a long time (early
eighties final retirement, IIRC). Very few served with the RCAF--they
instead bought more of the later turbine powered DHC-5 Buffalo. From what I
have read their Caribous left service in the early seventies, but I believe
they may still have a few Buffalos flying SAR.

Brooks

Old February 16th 04, 05:53 AM
Pits

"Moose" wrote in message
Hi Pits

The De Havilland of Canada Caribou is still being used by the Royal
Australian Air Force.

Cheers...Chris

Thank you moose ( and we love them ) actually asked specific to USA and
Canada either civvy or Mil
Have to grin a bit at a moose answering a Caribou question :-)
Cheers and thanks

Old February 16th 04, 09:12 AM
Guy Alcala

Pits wrote:

"Moose" wrote in message
Hi Pits

The De Havilland of Canada Caribou is still being used by the Royal
Australian Air Force.

Cheers...Chris

Thank you moose ( and we love them ) actually asked specific to USA and
Canada either civvy or Mil
Have to grin a bit at a moose answering a Caribou question :-)
Cheers and thanks

In the '80s, when I was still living about a mile from the Oakland
(California) airport, a civil Caribou suddenly appeared, and I used to hear
it pounding by heading eastward on a fairly regular schedule every week. I
don't know if it's still there or not, and I have no idea where it was going
or what it was hauling.

Guy

Old February 16th 04, 11:03 AM
The Raven

"Pits" wrote in message ...

Just wondering if US or Canada are still using Caribous for any

purpose.

I believe Canada must have enough flying, even in civilian applications, as
DHC produced a turbine conversion kit only a few years back.

Too bad the Australian Defence Force was too stupid to take up the
conversion. Payback is in year one. The conversion gives other improvements
but not the type I'd want to explore in an aging airframe. Of course, when
offered to the ADF they immediately seized on the faster, higher, heavier
idea but then scrapped the whole thing because of the stalled replacement
project (LTAC) was frozen and some day, one day, might actually be
announced.

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

Old February 16th 04, 05:10 PM
Dale

In article , "Pits" wrote:

Just wondering if US or Canada are still using Caribous for any purpose.
Cheers

I think Greatland Aviation is still flying a couple of Caribous in
Alaska.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old February 16th 04, 06:01 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Moose" wrote in message
Hi Pits

The De Havilland of Canada Caribou is still being used by the Royal
Australian Air Force.

With night vision capability.

Old February 16th 04, 06:11 PM
Grantland

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

"Moose" wrote in message
Hi Pits

The De Havilland of Canada Caribou is still being used by the Royal
Australian Air Force.

With night vision capability.

Are you trying to be "useful", vermin? GET THE **** OUT OF HERE!

Grantland
Old February 16th 04, 06:21 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Grantland" wrote in message
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

"Moose" wrote in message
Hi Pits

The De Havilland of Canada Caribou is still being used by the Royal
Australian Air Force.

With night vision capability.

Are you trying to be "useful", vermin?

Oz uses Skylight Avionics' NVG version of the IND-5000 on their Caribus.
The SAR mission of the Aussie Caribus got a nice capability increase with
the avionics upgrade.