Books on design of small aircraft

Old July 14th 09, 09:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Default Books on design of small aircraft

These pages regularly mention books on aircraft design by one Tony
Bingelis. Has anyone the exact references for these, preferably ISBN
numbers?
Apart from the use of imperial/US measures, would these be as much use
in Europe as in (their native?) USA?
Any other study books to recommend?

PS I seemed to remember these were marketed by EAA, but their website
found me video's but no books...?

TIA,
Old July 14th 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja[_2_]

jan olieslagers wrote:
These pages regularly mention books on aircraft design by one Tony
Bingelis. Has anyone the exact references for these, preferably ISBN
numbers?
Apart from the use of imperial/US measures, would these be as much use
in Europe as in (their native?) USA?
Any other study books to recommend?

PS I seemed to remember these were marketed by EAA, but their website
found me video's but no books...?

Bingelis' books are how-to books on construction, not aircraft design.
Go to the "Publications" section of the EAA Store online....

http://shop.eaa.org/html/publication....html?cart_id=

....they're near the top.

Ron Wanttaja
Old July 15th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

jan olieslagers wrote:
These pages regularly mention books on aircraft design by one Tony
Bingelis. Has anyone the exact references for these, preferably ISBN
numbers?
Apart from the use of imperial/US measures, would these be as much use
in Europe as in (their native?) USA?
Any other study books to recommend?

PS I seemed to remember these were marketed by EAA, but their website
found me video's but no books...?

TIA,

Pazmany's Light Plane Design is well regarded. He was not of the
by guess and by gosh school - far from it - he was the real McCoy - even
though his PL-1 took flack for taking in the thousands of hours to build.
There is a comparably worthwhile design handbook from a couple of Aero
faculty at Loughborough U. in the UK - but I forget the name....
Their design example was also a metal 2 place low wing monoplane but
they are good on wood specs

Brian W
Old July 15th 09, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

Brian Whatcott wrote:
jan olieslagers wrote:
[...]

Another book, which I have but don't have anything else to compare to, is
"Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders" by Daniel Raymer. I can see
it being of great value for initial iterations in the design of
conventional single engine fixed-wing aircraft. But final design would
require more knowledge than covered in that slim volume!

I also recommend "Model Aircraft Aerodynamics" by Martin Simons. I think it
serves as a great introduction to aerodynamics in general - for a fraction
of the price of fancier textbooks. Mostly non-numerical except for the
appendicies. It contains a pretty good discussion on understanding Reynolds
number, since that is an issue model aircraft designers run into right
away. But several appendicies provide wind tunnel results (lift, drag,
center of pressure) on about 30 airfoils (at different Re values), their
profiles, and profiles of a bunch more airfoils. The first appendix goes
through example calculations on computing lift, drag, and aerodynamic
center of wings of various profiles and aspect ratios.
Old July 15th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
D.Smith

For design of small aircraft I found the Hiscocks book very interesting.
Design of Light Aircraft
Richard D. Hiscocks
ISBN 0-9699809-0-6