Handheld GPS

Old September 6th 12, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Lee

Default Handheld GPS

I am a new pilot with a few hours of solo time. The head instructor told me to get a handheld GPS and it was hard to decide which one. Finally I bought the Garmin Etrex 20 ($200).

It is easy to read in sunlight and has some glider functions like "glide ratio to destination." It is not a real soaring GPS but it does give you groundspeed, distance from "home," and a pointer back to the airstrip. Using this GPS allows me to concentrate on thermaling without worrying so much about getting lost. Also it lets you log your accomplishments!

My first flight with the GPS I soared in a 2-33 for almost 2.5 hours, gained 10k feet of altitude, and traveled 127 miles - all within a 5-mile radius of the airport!

Old September 6th 12, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Congratulations Jim. If you convert the track log to an IGC file you can upload that to the OLC and play along with the other OLC addicts.

One thing to consider, create a waypoint or waypoints for your home airport and others, set the elevation of that waypoint to 1000ft higher than actual. That will then give you your L/D to the waypoint, with a landing pattern.

Morgan
Old September 6th 12, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Speaking as another low hours pilot, my first investment in soaring gadgets was a Flytec Sonic variometer http://www.flytec.com/Products/Variometers/Sonic.htm
I paid $170.

None of the trainers that I rent have audio variometers. That's a safety shortcoming.

I mount the Flytec Sonic with a loop of velcro on the shoulder strap under my ear. It lets me keep my eyes 'out of the cockpit' so I fly safer. It helps me stay up longer.

I've intentionally held off on buying a handheld GPS. Sure they work, but I'd rather practice and develop the visual and mental skills to manage my flight plan. It is undeniably a distraction in the cockpit (albeit minor). Later on... sure I'll get a GPS.
Old September 6th 12, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Things for student pilots to consider buying or putting on their Xmas list:

1. Handheld radio. Many trainers don't have them, so get your own (with a remote "cop" speaker mike. Get used to listening to it - you don't have to talk but knowing what is going on around you can save your life!

2. Audio vario - interesting idea, but it won't be TE compensated so if you are flying glass it may get frustrating. Real answer is to get audio varios in our training gliders!

3. GPS. Once you start venturing out, you need to think about navigation. You do carry a sectional, don't you? If you think it takes less heads down time to navigate with a sectional than a good GPS, you are mistaken, IMO. Have both, learn how to use them, and fly safer knowing you can reach your alternate landing fields. Plus you can now start analyzing your flights from your GPS log trace. G7ToWin is freeware that can download and convert log files from almost any GPS.

4. PCAS. If you fly near airways or a big city, you might consider a Zaon MRX PCAS. Warns you of transponder-equipped aircraft near you. Best $500 I ever spent on safety equipment!

5. SPOT. Let your friends/sig other/club know where you are in real time, and make landing out retrieves fun again. Less expensive than an ELT and more useful than a PLB - my wife insists that I have mine on and tracking on every fligh, so she can share my adventures and find me when I land out.

Have fun!

Kirk
66

Old September 6th 12, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:43:59 PM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:

2. Audio vario - interesting idea, but it won't be TE compensated

Not sure why, but stick thermals do not seem to be a problem on the Flytec Sonic. It is very practical. Much more practical than trying to get clubs to put more money into trainers.

I've seen a number of crossover former hang glider pilots using their Flytec units in gliders. That's where I got the idea.
Old September 7th 12, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

I would add to the list... If you have an Android smart phone, how about the free app XCSoar? It's a "real" soaring app, the phones have GPS built in, and the latest XCSoar version has audio vario. If you don't have an Android smart phone, buy a Dell Streek 5 on ebay for 180 bucks or whatever the latest price is.

Warning. XCSoar is a complex, comprehensive app that needs to be setup correctly and understood or mistakes will be made. Always back GPS up with paper charts, knowing where you are visually, and doing your mental math calculations for safe final glides back home.

You can also download the PC verson of XCSoar and practice in sim mode so you learn the app before taking it in your glider. Distractions are not good for you or other traffic. ... Aaron
Old September 10th 12, 10:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 6, 2012 4:08:04 AM UTC+2, James Lee wrote:
My first flight with the GPS I soared in a 2-33 for almost 2.5 hours, gained 10k feet of altitude, and traveled 127 miles - all within a 5-mile radius of the airport!

Just keep in mind the 127 miles is including the 'thermalling miles'

Rgds

Pieter

Old September 11th 12, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick

Besides airports I also put in other destinations. For example I have to get over a mountain pass to get home so I put that in plus 500ft. Other places like common thermal locations I put in at the altitude where I can still make an airport once I get there. (Garmin 76s)