Playing Chicken With The Birds

Old November 22nd 18, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Playing Chicken With The Birds

In Nepal a hang glider operator uses vultures to locate thermals:

http://www.parahawking.com/index.php/about
Old November 22nd 18, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Indeed, we have a vulture roosting area in trees quite close to Tucson Soaring Club’s airfield and I often see a few Black Vultures camping out with the larger numbers of Turkey Vultures. I believe that they also do forage on their own and there are very few (if any) Turkey Vultures in the main local Black Vulture breeding area. This is in the mountains around Kitt Peak, about halfway south to the Mexican border. I must say though, I haven't studied their eating habits, being more interested in their thermalling capabilities.

Black Vultures are reportedly found in all southern US states, including Florida.

We also have a number of other raptors, the most numerous being Red Tailed Hawks, but these don’t often fly as high as the Vultures.

Mike
Old November 22nd 18, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

I have also flown with many eagles on the ridges of Hood River, Oregon. The 1-26 was the best ship for ridge soaring with the eagles. I followed one for several miles on one such occasion, staying back a couple hundred yards, but he obviously didn't like me following him. At one point he hit a thermal and started maneuvered in a puzzling way, and I wondered what the heck he was doing. As he got into position in front and slightly above me he took a HUGE dump! It spread out and looked like it was gunna to cover the entire glider. It must have been at least two rabbits worth. I let out a little scream, and executed an abrupt dive and managed to avoid the crap. It was a very clear message, and I let him continue on in solitude....

Boggs
Old November 22nd 18, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Poop happens?

LOL........happy T day everyone.....

18th FG and the 'chicken' patch? Uhu219 Military Aviation 4 February 19th 11 08:26 PM
Chicken Strip Death Valley gt Piloting 7 November 10th 06 06:24 PM
chicken thief Del Rawlins Home Built 3 April 3rd 04 03:20 AM
Chicken Cannon Lovers Ogden Johnson III Naval Aviation 96 January 26th 04 11:40 PM
Chicken or the Egg? Hangar or Plane first? Carl Orton Owning 17 September 28th 03 05:44 PM