A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Playing Chicken With The Birds

Old November 22nd 18, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

Default Playing Chicken With The Birds

In Nepal a hang glider operator uses vultures to locate thermals:

http://www.parahawking.com/index.php/about
Old November 22nd 18, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

Indeed, we have a vulture roosting area in trees quite close to Tucson Soaring Club’s airfield and I often see a few Black Vultures camping out with the larger numbers of Turkey Vultures. I believe that they also do forage on their own and there are very few (if any) Turkey Vultures in the main local Black Vulture breeding area. This is in the mountains around Kitt Peak, about halfway south to the Mexican border. I must say though, I haven't studied their eating habits, being more interested in their thermalling capabilities.

Black Vultures are reportedly found in all southern US states, including Florida.

We also have a number of other raptors, the most numerous being Red Tailed Hawks, but these don’t often fly as high as the Vultures.

Mike
Old November 22nd 18, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru
external usenet poster

I have also flown with many eagles on the ridges of Hood River, Oregon. The 1-26 was the best ship for ridge soaring with the eagles. I followed one for several miles on one such occasion, staying back a couple hundred yards, but he obviously didn't like me following him. At one point he hit a thermal and started maneuvered in a puzzling way, and I wondered what the heck he was doing. As he got into position in front and slightly above me he took a HUGE dump! It spread out and looked like it was gunna to cover the entire glider. It must have been at least two rabbits worth. I let out a little scream, and executed an abrupt dive and managed to avoid the crap. It was a very clear message, and I let him continue on in solitude....

Boggs
Old November 22nd 18, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Poop happens?

LOL........happy T day everyone.....