Hurricane Dorian and impact on Florida Glider operations

Old August 31st 19, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default Hurricane Dorian and impact on Florida Glider operations

As we all look at the weather it is difficult to not see all the attention presented by Dorian, the big monster headed our way. Most of the last two days were spent preparing our club here in Vero Beach for what could be a devastating blow. All gliders were boxed and stored, I moved Eileen's ASW24 to home and also my ASW27 and locked them down in the hangar at home. I am moving the two Pawnee towplanes today, one is coming home here and the other is being located to Jet Center at Vero Airport.
The impact of this storm could very well deal soaring here in Florida a sizable blow. SLG, Tampa, and North Florida could all be in the path of uncertainty. Good luck to all, hunker down!!
Old August 31st 19, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Models as of this morning indicate it will shift east.
Old August 31st 19, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Suck it up Nancy, I shot myself in the thumb with a nail gun putting up panels just so Dorian would turn north.
Beat that!
Old September 1st 19, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 4:21:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Suck it up Nancy, I shot myself in the thumb with a nail gun putting up panels just so Dorian would turn north.
Beat that!

Ret, don't be so cheap, spend some cash and get real shutters. Nail guns went out with stripe toothpaste.
Old September 1st 19, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon[_2_]

On 8/31/2019 5:56 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:

It's not real until we see a YouTube of the incident. You can fool a
hurricane, but you can't fool RAS!

I don't do UTube, and can't attach a picture here,(or even a pdf of my
Urgent Care visit) so you will just have to believe that I was stupidly
falling off of a ladder about the same time that Henry was stapling
himself to his house. I will live and hopefully so will Henry. Perhaps
we will even be a bit smarter. ;-)

Vaughn

---
https://www.avg.com

Old September 1st 19, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Cat 5 Thermal
I was attaching ply to my bug out van.
Old September 1st 19, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 1:54:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Cat 5 Thermal
I was attaching ply to my bug out van.

Henry was never well coordinated, he makes sloppy turns!!
Old September 1st 19, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 6:11:20 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 1:54:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Cat 5 Thermal
I was attaching ply to my bug out van.

Henry was never well coordinated, he makes sloppy turns!!

Well, I am about as prepared as I have ever been, this is not looking good here on the Treasure Coast. I have been through many Hurricanes in my 45 years in Florida, but this one is really bad. Could be the most powerful hurricane in recorded history. The keys had one in the early 1900's and one hit Lake Okeechobee that killed 5 thousand people. Batten down those hatches boys, get plenty of Frigate Rum and weather the storm. Bob